Batteries replaced under warranty, 1 year later batteries both dead

dm00re

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
In March 2020 I had under 36k miles on my Sahara and was still under warranty. The dealership replaced my batteries for no cost.

Fast forward to today and both batteries won’t hold a charge and dealer says I need to replace them which would be $800+ Because im now at 50k miles and out of the warranty.

Does a free replacement from Mopar parts warranty not apply to me since the batteries were replaced under warranty? I have 0 aftermarket electrical components and the Jeep never sits longer than a day or 2 without being driven.

I don’t understand how a part that was installed by the dealer a little over a year ago (that’s clearly faulty) is not covered by the Mopar warranty solely because I didn’t pay for the part. The dealer claimed that had I payed out of pocket I’d have that 2 year warranty on the batteries.

Has anyone else had this issue happen to them?
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
@JeepCares

I can’t see why the replacement batteries warranty wouldn’t be honored just because they where originally warranty replacement if they are within time and mileage… My guess is they don’t want to submit the claim if they can convince you to pay, typically warranty work pays out less.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
I hate to say it but, the dealer is correct on this. The same warranty applies for parts store warranties (walmart, autozone, sears/diehard,, discount auto, napa). It is from the ORIGINAL purchase date. Getting a new battery under warranty does not start a new warranty. Happen to me with autozone. Bought a battery with 3yr warranty, went dead two months before end, received new battery, went it died couple years later, I cant go and claim for another battery. However, adding it up, I got 5+ years out of the deal instead of 3yrs.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I would not install the same crap that FCA is putting out, I know lots say that changing out the baby ESS battery is easy but if I’m going as far to dig that battery out I would not put one back in, I’m not an engineer but have talked to lots of battery and charger makers and they all may not agree on what the best battery or charger is but they do all agree that using batteries of different sizes electrically is a total shit show and will kill battery life earlier than they should be.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Reality is many Vehicle Manufacturer's / Equipment Manufacturer's in general, use Dual Battery systems these days, not just FCA. Also, Dual Battery set-ups have been around for years and yes, with some, using different size batteries. No, not terrific to do but ...

...And yes, more often then not, they use different size batteries. Also, most are lesser quality batteries that do not hold up well / age out quickly..

That's the way it is..

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Reality is many Vehicle Manufacturer's / Equipment Manufacturer's in general, use dual battery systems these days, not just FCA.

...And yes, more often then not, they use different size batteries. Also, most are using piss poor batteries that do not hold up well / age out quickly..

That's the way it is..
I’m just saying, there’s a reason ACDelco has an aux battery that fits in our Jeeps.

And yes OP, that is how warranties work. Otherwise, you’d get free batteries for life as they fail over and over again every few years.

LostSoul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
future JLUR
Generally batteries like tires have pro-rated replacement warranties involving milage or time. If the batteries are only 16 months old and they are a 36 month battery, worst case scenario is you pay part not all of the replacement.

And $800 plus for two batteries? I know batteries are more expensive, and there is some labor involved ($125 an hour these days?) Seems exceedingly high to me.

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Generally batteries like tires have pro-rated replacement warranties involving milage or time. If the batteries are only 16 months old and they are a 36 month battery, worst case scenario is you pay part not all or the the replacement.

And $800 plus for two batteries? I know batteries are more expensive, and there is some labor involved ($125 an hour these days?) Seems exceedingly high to me.
$800 is ridiculous.

@dm00re here is a great, USA made cranking battery: https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli48agmdp

There aren’t too many great options for the AUX, unfortunately.

If you have a Rubicon with the tow package, you can go with a larger Odyssey.

All info you need is here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/battery-replacement-question-for-the-experts.66343/

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Generally batteries like tires have pro-rated replacement warranties involving milage or time. If the batteries are only 16 months old and they are a 36 month battery, worst case scenario is you pay part not all or the the replacement.

@LostSoul

Yes, $800 is a tad high. A dealer doing it you would think 2 hrs. labor at $125/hr approx. and then a bit over $130+- for the OEM Aux battery and abit over $240+- for the OEM Main battery . Then throw in the cost of some fender flare clips or rivets.... Anyway, I can see a dealer charging close to $700 or up to $800 .... 800 if the dealer aka "stealership" is worse then other's..

Now, an owner using very very good batteries(2) can change out both batteries in an hours time +- for about $375.00.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

@LostSoul

Yes, $800 is a tad high. A dealer doing it you would think 2 hrs. labor at $125/hr approx. and then a bit over $130+- for the OEM Aux battery and abit over $240+- for the OEM Main battery . Then throw in the cost of some fender flare clips or rivets.... Anyway, I can see a dealer charging close to $700 or up to $800 .... 800 if the dealer aka "stealership" is worse then other's..

Now, an owner using very very good batteries(2) can change out both batteries in an hours time +- for about $375.00.
Book time is 1.5 hours labor to replace both batteries and that’s if they don’t charge diagnosis. Aux battery is $127 and main battery is $234. At our shops rate thats 607.18. Dealerships are making a killing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
dm00re

dm00re

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
So I got a call from the dealer this morning and he said good news - because corporate knows him so well they said to replace it for free.

After calling around to some dealers 1 of them told me if it wasn’t covered that the dealer could ask corporate to see if they’d cover it and in some cases they do. I’m assuming this is what happened with me.

Hopefully these last longer than 2 years. After driving around the battery is readying 12.8v at idle and seen it jump to 13.3v. When the battery was bad it was a constant 14.2-14.6

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So I got a call from the dealer this morning and he said good news - because corporate knows him so well they said to replace it for free.

After calling around to some dealers 1 of them told me if it wasn’t covered that the dealer could ask corporate to see if they’d cover it and in some cases they do. I’m assuming this is what happened with me.

Hopefully these last longer than 2 years. After driving around the battery is readying 12.8v at idle and seen it jump to 13.3v. When the battery was bad it was a constant 14.2-14.6
Buy and use a tender. I like the Noco Genius 5, but any AGM capable tender is fine. I put mine on every other week, or every week if I haven’t taken any long trips.

Last edited:

Sprocket

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubicon Eco, 14 Grand Cherokee Eco, BMW 328d
Buy and use a tender. I like the Noco Genius 5, but any AGM capable tender is fine. I put mine on every other week, or every week if I haven’t taken any long trips.
I'm totally new to the Jeep JL model. If using a battery tender, can you just hook up and charge the main battery and will that charge both batteries or are they separate systems where you need to charge each battery separately?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm totally new to the Jeep JL model. If using a battery tender, can you just hook up and charge the main battery and will that charge both batteries or are they separate systems where you need to charge each battery separately?
@Sprocket

Hooking your battery tender/maintainer cables to the Main batteries, POS and NEG will charge/maintain BOTH the Main and Aux batteries.

Both batteries are "AGM" batteries. They are hooked up in parallel.

Best bet is to use a tender/maintainer that puts out no more then 5 amp. Remember, the little Aux battery is only 200 CCA...

Sprocket

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Rubicon Eco, 14 Grand Cherokee Eco, BMW 328d
@Sprocket

Hooking your battery tender/maintainer cables to the Main batteries, POS and NEG will charge/maintain BOTH the Main and Aux batteries.

Both batteries are "AGM" batteries. They are hooked up in parallel.

Best bet is to use a tender/maintainer that puts out no more then 5 amp. Remember, the little Aux battery is only 200 CCA...
Thanks for the information!
Sponsored