Sponsored

Batteries are dead after 5500 miles

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I took my JLUR in for a steering stabilizer as the early 2018 will fail earlier rather than later. My automatic start stop also stopped working.

Steering stabilizer is now on order and I had two new batteries installed. They both failed testing. 5500 miles, anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
Steering stabilizer is now on order and I had two new batteries installed. They both failed testing. 5500 miles, anyone else have this problem?
I've seen a few comments on failed batteries in the various ESS threads. seems like there are definitely defective batteries (or charging systems) out there. i haven't noticed any particular trend though (build date, temperature, etc) because the details aren't usually provided. hopefully yours is good to go now.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
-did you mostly drive with the button pushed to disable Auto Start Stop? Or, do you “let it do it’s thing”?
-did you use a tuner to disable?
-do you live above the mason-dixon line?

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
My main was bad after 7 months and ESS was disabled using a programmer, they used a GR8 tester and it failed, they did not replace the ESS battery

OP
OP
Jrbrannan

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
-did you mostly drive with the button pushed to disable Auto Start Stop? Or, do you “let it do it’s thing”?
-did you use a tuner to disable?
-do you live above the mason-dixon line?
I let it do it's thing, apart from being light on the breaks to keep it from shutting off at stop signs.
No tuner, and live in Illinois, so it just got cold.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I took my JLUR in for a steering stabilizer as the early 2018 will fail earlier rather than later. My automatic start stop also stopped working.

ESS stopped engaging, have rig on battery tender, my guess is it isn't engaging for battery reasons, but I'm not getting any warning lights. Made appointment for service.

I love my JL, but isn't it ironic how similar the words appointment and disappointment are in this context?

It's not that I can't live without ESS, more apropos I tolerate it. I'm just concerned that it not engaging anymore is reflective of more serious problems...and while under warranty, well, you know.

Lar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Old thread i am aware but I just had both batteries fail on my 2018. Been on lock down so this is the first time the Jeep sat for about 6 days and then deader than dead. Two years and about 24K miles . Has to be the worse experience i have ever had with automotive batteries. From what i am reading it seems to be a pretty regular thing for our vehicles. Anyone have an idea why? Just poor parts ? Dealer said it may have to do with the proximity option where by the car is "looking" for the key fob so as to unlock the doors all the time. Doesn't sound correct to me . I was under the impression that doesn't happen until the key fob gets in close proximity to the door. Tough to argue with the service writers so I avoid it if it at all possible. Dealer checked all the usual suspects and advised both batteries very dead with no reason explained.
So if I use a battery maintainer such as CTEK or Battery Tender can I just attach to the positive and negative cables of the larger primary battery and will that charge both batteries? Hoping not to have to replace 2 batteries every two years along with a new windshield a couple times a year due to cracks...According to dealer when one battery goes the other one seems to go as well.
Perhaps I am just getting to old for these vehicles but not enjoying the required maintenance to keep this vehicle on the road. Kind of just want to drive it and enjoy it rather than constantly fixing stupid little things. And don't even get me started on the chore of trying to get to the secondary battery. Whose brilliant idea was that . Could have purchased a lot of pretty nice vehicles for the $55K this one costs and not have to see it ride away on a tow truck every few months. ..
Sorry . Just frustrated and tired of being locked in my home...
Stay well Jeepers

Just to follow up got the JLU back today with two new batteries and all codes cleared. Still no reason beyond the "batteries are dead and failed the test". Fortunate covered under warranty, so no charge. The two factory AGM batteries run about $300. for the pair. Going on my battery tender from now on if it's not being driven daily. Probable over kill but I don't like going out to my car when i need it and it doesn't function. Don't like watching my vehicles getting loaded on to flat beds and driven away...
Sponsored

Last edited: