Sponsored

Basic step / slider questions

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
I was reading a thread (which I can't seem to find again), about folks snapping a frame bolt when installing certain sliders / steps. This issue may have been addressed after 2020 (the red loctite on the bolts), but that doesn't help me a I have a 2020 willy's.

I also thought I read the factory rubi rails DO NOT USE the frame bolts as an attachment point and if you a purchasing sliders / steps that attach the same way you will not need to remove the frame bolts.

If anyone can clarify this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
It's the body mount bolts folks were snapping. There are lots of frame mount options that avoid that.

Using stock locations still leaves a serious weak spot if you are wheeling moderately hard.

OP
OP
CMTAZ

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
It's the body mount bolts folks were snapping. There are lots of frame mount options that avoid that.

Using stock locations still leaves a serious weak spot if you are wheeling moderately hard.
Thank you, I think I meant body mount. Wheeling will probably be limited to easy - moderate stuff. I'd rather drive a dirt / gravel trail to someplace to take pictures, than try to crawl rocks and wreck my Jeep. A man has to know his limitations :facepalm: (Dirty Harry).

That said, I'm sure the body mount stuff would be much more durable, but out of curiosity, why would using stock locations still leave a serious weak spot ?

Thanks

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
why would using stock locations still leave a serious weak spot ?

Thanks
Everyone has different needs. That's not a smear or crown, it's just reality. Really hard to see in my profile pic, but I have ROAM mounts that use stock locations. I'm switching to LOD frame mounts, because I bent these. Thankfully, it's super mild, but I am switching knowing I do stupid stuff.

For 99% of people who wheel, these would do just fine. They are stronger than stock rubi rails...just not for me.

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Everyone has different needs. That's not a smear or crown, it's just reality. Really hard to see in my profile pic, but I have ROAM mounts that use stock locations. I'm switching to LOD frame mounts, because I bent these. Thankfully, it's super mild, but I am switching knowing I do stupid stuff.

For 99% of people who wheel, these would do just fine. They are stronger than stock rubi rails...just not for me.

What is the most durable, frame mounted or body mounted ?

Which ones are you going with, or which ones would be best for slamming the jeep down in MAOB like rocks on accident from time to time ?

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
What is the most durable, frame mounted or body mounted ?

Which ones are you going with, or which ones would be best for slamming the jeep down in MAOB like rocks on accident from time to time ?

First, I see you are in MN. If you are in the twin cities I can show you the LOD frame mounted (not on body bolts) vs stock mount points.

Second, a lot of Moab is mind over matter. It's got a lot of mental challenges that a stock Rubi can do. Go to Colorado, Johnson Valley, etc and it's a different world. There are even places in Gilbert (up northern MN for us) where rocker can be more common than Moab.

OP
OP
CMTAZ

CMTAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLURX Anvil
..I can show you the LOD frame mounted (not on body bolts) vs stock mount points...

Aren't the rubi rails frame mounted as opposed to body mounted using the body bolts?

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
The Rubi ones clamp on the pinch seam. They are body mounted but do not use the body (to frame) mounting bolts.
Sponsored