rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Hi all...

I have a 2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and have just moved to an area (around Reno) that I can actually consider doing some off-roading...to be clear I am not into rock-climbing and will be sticking to pretty much easy to light-moderate trails...for me the destination is more important to me than the journey...

I want to use my Jeep to get to cool places to enjoy...

With that being said...what would all of you pro’s suggest for a list of basic modifications that I should add to my Jeep as nice to haves for my level of offroading....lifts, winches, skid plates, etc. etc...I am open to any and all suggestions...any specific recommendations for gear would also be appreciated if you have them...

Help make me a shopping list!!!

Thank you in advance for your help..

Kevin
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I don't know that there is anything that you really need. I think the first change would be Rubicon takeoff tires or tires of that size. I don't know anything about winches but if you are in trees and mud that might be a consideration.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
for me the destination is more important to me than the journey...
Right on, I'm the exact way.

Here's what I'd do... grab this book: https://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Trails-Western-Region-Massey/dp/1930193157

Go on the closest easy trail to you. If you can handle it and fell like you could do more, then go on a moderate trail, and so on. If you get to the point where you'd like to go harder, but equipment is an issue, then upgrade, but only then.

Read all the warnings in the front of that book and be sure someone knows where you are and when you'll get back. Carry at least 10 gallons of water. The NV heat is no joke.

Once you get on moderate trails, pick up a pair of Rubicon take off sliders. You can get these for $75 in Colorado and their the biggest bang for the buck out there.

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Right on, I'm the exact way.

Here's what I'd do... grab this book: https://www.amazon.com/Nevada-Trails-Western-Region-Massey/dp/1930193157

Go on the closest easy trail to you. If you can handle it and fell like you could do more, then go on a moderate trail, and so on. If you get to the point where you'd like to go harder, but equipment is an issue, then upgrade, but only then.

Read all the warnings in the front of that book and be sure someone knows where you are and when you'll get back. Carry at least 10 gallons of water. The NV heat is no joke.

Once you get on moderate trails, pick up a pair of Rubicon take off sliders. You can get these for $75 in Colorado and their the biggest bang for the buck out there.
Love the suggestion...will pick up the book for sure!!

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Different people will have different suggestions. I off-road fairly reasonable trails usually solo, and the Sport is stock with some rails for light protection. But I have added what I consider a minimum setup:

- communications, in my case ham, CB, and GMRS. I don’t count on cell service being a thing. I also benchmark the systems.
- recovery. I don’t have a winch but do carry a tow rope, D-links, gloves, folding shovel, and sand boards. Next step would be a winch but that requires a new bumper, maybe next year. Learn how to dig out and stack rocks.
- other safety gear including fire extinguisher, first aid kit, basic survival gear, clothes, food and plenty of water. Common sense comes in handy as well.

if you’re realistic with your expectations and learn the basics of off-road driving, you can run fairly stock. If you want to tackle harder terrain, that’s when more/bigger is better. But stock can get you from a lot of point As to point Bs.

Sponsored

Ozionjon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU sport
I actually have a set of tires and wheels that are a great place to start as well as rubicon sliders

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Love the suggestion...will pick up the book for sure!!
FWIW, I just googled the book and that was the first. Might make sense to see if there’s others that are more we’ll regarded. Everything else stands though.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I had a stock LJ (only switched to AT tires of same stock size) and went on a lot of great trails around the Colorado Rockies (Engineer Pass, Stony Pass, Ophir Pass, Imogene Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, etc.).

Know before you go as far as what to expect of the trail you plan to drive (internet is your friend) and pay attention to the conditions... Jeeps are pretty capable as-is, and many times the driver has more limitations than the Jeep! If in doubt, call the local ranger district.

You don't need to spend a bunch of money to get rolling - probably better to leave it stock to gradually test yourself and your willingness / interest in off-roading before you dive in full!

BadWolf

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Sarge Green)
I'm not ordering my Wrangler until this fall, so don't know what you might or might not need. However, I can suggest a trail on east side of Lake Tahoe that I drove many times in a mostly stock (all-terrain tires, better bumpers, some off-road lights) Cherokee in the early 2000's.

It is located off of Kingsbury Grade (highway 207 which runs from just outside of Minden to Stateline). You turn north on North Benjamin Drive, which turns into Andria Drive. At the end, it turns into dirt and sand, and if I remember right it was called something like 14N32. At the time I had a topo map of east side of Lake Tahoe that showed all the different routes. It comes out behind the road dept. on highway 50 just south of Spooner Summit. Make sure to watch for hikers because east side of Tahoe Rim Trail runs through same area.

I also seem to remember quite a few "back roads" off of highway 341 going from Reno to Virginia City, but it's been over 18 years since I lived out there.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Equipment a part of good preparation. Skill is likewise important. The best thing you can do is going trail riding with an experienced Jeeper. The key to avoiding the need for using recovery gear is learning how to drive in rough terrain. Last month I saw and then helped guide an inexperienced jeeper with a new lifted rubi with 37s who was carelessly bouncing through severe terrain. He didn’t understand even the basics. He was going solo which is ok on mild trails, but less so on tough stuff. For instance, He was smashing into his diff because he was trying to straddle huge rocks rather than setting his wheels properly. Good luck...it’s so much fun.

Sponsored

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not ordering my Wrangler until this fall, so don't know what you might or might not need. However, I can suggest a trail on east side of Lake Tahoe that I drove many times in a mostly stock (all-terrain tires, better bumpers, some off-road lights) Cherokee in the early 2000's.

It is located off of Kingsbury Grade (highway 207 which runs from just outside of Minden to Stateline). You turn north on North Benjamin Drive, which turns into Andria Drive. At the end, it turns into dirt and sand, and if I remember right it was called something like 14N32. At the time I had a topo map of east side of Lake Tahoe that showed all the different routes. It comes out behind the road dept. on highway 50 just south of Spooner Summit. Make sure to watch for hikers because east side of Tahoe Rim Trail runs through same area.

I also seem to remember quite a few "back roads" off of highway 341 going from Reno to Virginia City, but it's been over 18 years since I lived out there.
Appreciate the trail tip..I will check it out for sure and report back!!!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP:

your stock Jeep will likely be perfectly fine UN-modified.

if I were you I would start with just a few basic recovery items:

1) shovel (foldable, good quality)
2) some kind of kinetic rope — bubba rope is a brand I have
3) some kind of tow strap or tree strap
4) a pair of tread boards .... you can go with the top brand (maxtracs) or buy the X-bull ones that I have from amazon for a fifth of the price.
5) get an air compressor to air up with. ARB or the portable smittybilt.
6) jumper cables and/or a battery jumper pack
7) first aid kit
8) a few tools
9) communication devices other than Cell phones (CB/FMRS)

depending On what brands and config you buy, this stuff will be Well under $1000. It will really help you if you get in a bind and it will also allow you to help others as needed.

for what you say that you want to do, you likely don’t need a winch or skid plates or or or or.....

IMO the basics are up above and will serve you well in a pinch

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
As others already mentioned, tires will make the most difference.

For easy off-roading, a good map book or trail book will help a lot.

When you go off-roading, always pack as if you were to spend the night in the Jeep, even if you don’t plan to. Pack some food, water, warm clothes and a warm blanket. It’s better to have it and not need it, than the other way around.

One time my spritely 86-year old aunt and I got stuck in deep snow 6 miles up a mountain trail. We had to hike down to the main road in the icy snow in the dark. The extra coats, hats, gloves and winter boots we had in the Jeep kept us warm.

PS1 - years ago I found some really nice trails on the Eastern Sierras between Bishop and Mammoth. It is a spectacular area.

PS2 - you don’t need mud terrain tires. A good quality all-terrain tire, like KO2, Duratrac or Grabber AT-X, will give you all the traction you need on the trail, snow and on the road, without adding dozens of extra pounds at each corner, and allowing you to retain a degree of comfort.

Last edited:
OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All of these suggestions are awesome please keep them coming....

Obviously tires are key based on everyone's opinions...

My Jeep came stock with Bridgestone Dueler A/T 255/70R18...will these do the trick or do you all suggest something else?

Kevin
Sponsored