crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Hey everyone,

I bought the dual top group with my JL and am planning on swapping out the hard top for the soft top in about a month until November, looking at floor level options for storing the top, partially because my garage ceiling is already covered in kayaks and partially because I don't really need/want to spend the extra money on a hoist. Since I'm only taking it off and putting it back on once a year, having a bit of extra work to do it is fine. So with that note I'm thinking about buying this:

https://www.amazon.com/POFENZE-Upgr...09QQ5ZBMD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I found similar products on extremeterrain and quadratec but they seem like basically the exact same product (only worse because no freedom panel storage) for $100+ more. Anyone have this type of hard top storage and does it work OK? The whole idea of storing the hard top by resting it on the back seems like it wasn't 'made to do that' - don't want it to get slowly damaged sitting in that position for ~6 months at a time.
Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I'm sure it's fine, but I'd have the same concern as you. I know the top isn't terribly heavy, but it seems like all of the weight is being supported by a couple of small areas.

If you've got room, I'd consider setting it on a couple of saw horses.

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure it's fine, but I'd have the same concern as you. I know the top isn't terribly heavy, but it seems like all of the weight is being supported by a couple of small areas.

If you've got room, I'd consider setting it on a couple of saw horses.
I'm really looking to optimize space as much as possible as I don't have hardly any room in my garage so storing the hard top flat is a no go. I don't even have room to pull my jeep into the garage temporarily.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I spent about $50 at home depot for a couple of ratchet straps and eye bolts. works great and a space saver
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options 20220806_101356

Sponsored

OP
OP
crackofdawn

crackofdawn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I spent about $50 at home depot for a couple of ratchet straps and eye bolts. works great and a space saver
Unfortunately I don't have any way I can hang it from the ceiling (my ceiling is covered in kayaks) and I can't get my jeep in the garage at all to hoist it in the first place, so I need something floor-level to store it (preferably vertically to save space)

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I have the quadratec option. After pricing out wood, carpet, casters, and my time, it was an easy decision. You don't need the glass retainer bar, I have it and do not use it. There are certainly DIY options and cheaper Amazon options as well. However, the hardtop is heavy and not cheap to replace so make sure whatever you go with is sturdy. The Quadratec one does the job very well, I have used it for two years and have zero fear that the top get damaged. It really rolls around nicely and when I am not using the cart, it easily hangs flat on the wall without taking off any pieces.

Like another poster, my ceilings are not tall enough to hoist up the top and place it in front of the Jeep without having to duck under it to access other parts of the garage. I have a 6 car garage so storing it on the ground is not a problem. I actually hang the doors on the wall and then push this against the wall in a manner that the doors tuck into the top protecting them. Then I put a few moving blankets over the top as well. I only take the top off at the begining of the summer and then back on when it starts snowing, so the setup works perfect for me.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12020_301_07.htm

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Looking at your soft top, I'm guessing you use this setup for an entire season. Have you noticed any warping issues with your hard top? I'd be a little concerned that the straps near the bottom of the windows would pull the hardtop out of shape over time.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
No warping at all. If you zoom in you can see I have two straps going through the center underneath the whole hardtop for load distribution, those straps under the wo down are only for stability.

Pic of hardtop on for this winter season
Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options 20221013_123052

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
I have been using those carts for years and never had an issue. I do run a tie down strap around it to keep it secure to the cart and also prevent the back window from popping out when I tip it over for fall top swap day.

Sponsored

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
This is what I used for the first 4 years. Just added a hoist this fall.

Attachments

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I'm in the same boat as you. My garage is small and loaded with too many other things, so we went the vertical storage route. I built this cart in May of 2018 right after we got my wife's JLU. It works great and was cheap at the time to put together. My son and I put the soft top on every spring (end of March/early April) and swap back around the end of the warmer weather (late October/early November). It rolls in and out of the garage easy and I have locking casters on the rear wheels so it doesn't move.

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_4932.JPG

Here's an old pic of the garage. It's about the same, except I added some tool boxes and reorganized a few things. The top stays in the same place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Basic garage floor hardtop storage options IMG_0946.JPG

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Another option is scaffolding. Depending on your garage setup, could be more useful. When the top is on the platform, I can store stuff under the top on the shelf and under the platform, and I even throw light stuff on the top. The footprint is larger than the vertical cart, but it gives you much more storage space for other things.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ardtop-storage-and-removal-works-great.29016/

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
Another option is scaffolding. Depending on your garage setup, could be more useful. When the top is on the platform, I can store stuff under the top on the shelf and under the platform, and I even throw light stuff on the top. The footprint is larger than the vertical cart, but it gives you much more storage space for other things.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ardtop-storage-and-removal-works-great.29016/
Yup, definitely the way to go and works perfect. Cost a fraction of those specialized lifts, tons of extra storage, can be used as regular scaffolding and huge local resale market when ur ready to sell.

rhocking

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler 2.0T JLU Sport S
This is what I used for the first 4 years. Just added a hoist this fall.
Built one of these with my daughter and see no reason to go to a hoist. For the few bucks it costs and minimal time it takes to build I would recommend looking at this and maybe trying it. If you decide to go with a different solution later you aren't out much money.

PS I went with a marine grade waterproof carpeting to cover the wood and went with locking casters. The cover and casters adds a few bucks but makes this DIY solution, in my opinion, just as nice as some of the multi-hundred dollar solutions out there.
Sponsored