Sponsored

Base Jeeps are at their cheapest point ever?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Base model is the way to go...... But, their ESS system is horrible. I would not buy again due to their current ESS... Hard pass.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Base model is the way to go...... But, their ESS system is horrible. I would not buy again due to their current ESS... Hard pass.
Be careful not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. :)

That feature is easily defeated. My ESS was gone the 2nd day I owned it. It's annoying, but far from a show-stopper.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
So many other issues with the Wrangler. ESS is the minor one.

Bill_BCNtoNY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sahara 3.6
Occupation
Independent strategy advisor
I have to admit I've been dreaming to add a totally base two-door to my driveway as a new hobby. No way I can swing it now though, and trading my current Jeep is not an option either.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Interesting read.

https://jalopnik.com/these-new-cars-just-arent-worth-the-money-1851231899/slides/11

Excerpt:
Take, for example, the Jeep Wrangler. Accounting for inflation, the Base model 2 door at 31,895 has SO MUCH more standard than you could ever get on a JK, TJ, YJ, etc. Adjusted for inflation, it’s no more expensive than a Jeep has ever been.
In one of the recent threads complaining about wrangler cost I applied the 1977 to 2023 inflation to the 1977 cost of my then new CJ-7. The result was very close to the cost of a new stripper JL.

I also linked an Autoweek article pointing out the average cost of a new car in the US is about $50,000.

It’s hard for all of us to recalibrate our pricing expectations after suffering 20% inflation over just a few years.

JakeM

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150,VW Atlas Cross Sport,24’ Wrangler Sport
I have to admit I've been dreaming to add a totally base two-door to my driveway as a new hobby. No way I can swing it now though, and trading my current Jeep is not an option either.
I did it, ordered a 2024 2 door base MT, V6 only options Hardtop and black grill, got a great deal out of state 5K below MSRP, great third vehicle

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
In one of the recent threads complaining about wrangler cost I applied the 1977 to 2023 inflation to the 1977 cost of my then new CJ-7. The result was very close to the cost of a new stripper JL.

I also linked an Autoweek article pointing out the average cost of a new car in the US is about $50,000.

It’s hard for all of us to recalibrate our pricing expectations after suffering 20% inflation over just a few years.
Compound onto that the fact that you're literally getting "more" for your money. 77 CJ-7 vs 23 JL Sport is a 47% increase in weight.

So the base jeep is probably by far the cheapest it's ever been per pound *when adjusted for inflation.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Don't forget to compare features. The current base JL has A/C, Bluetooth, etc...

Grayhound

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlurd
I believe the current generation of JL Wrangler is the best that’s ever been produced.

We have the best options for powertrain. We have the best options for luxury, versus stripped. We have the most capable stock Jeep we’ve ever had.

I’ve always held the Cj7 as peak Jeep, but I firmly believe that we are currently in Peak Jeep! History will look back on this time where we’ve got diesels 392 V6 four-cylinder and drool at these jeeps

PotterJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Xtreme 35 4.88
I will happily take the ESS system over a E-torque system any day. If you add a start stop eliminator you don't even have to worry about ever hitting the button on the dash.

PotterJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Xtreme 35 4.88
The only big issue with going base (or sahara) is the standard 3.45 gears, if you are planning on lift and tires you are really already behind on gearing vs. a willys or rubi. Yes gears can be swapped but then you are paying multiple thousands for the swap and then have no powertrain warranty on the axles on your brand new Jeep.

tomk62

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sahara Anvil, 2019 Cherokee
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

The only big issue with going base (or sahara) is the standard 3.45 gears, if you are planning on lift and tires you are really already behind on gearing vs. a willys or rubi.
I believe that to be subjective to the owner and the specific components selected though, and not an absolute.
Sponsored