Bare bones sport 2dr JL (not even AC)

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 4runner 2019 wrangler sport
found a bare bones sport 2-door JL
the only option is the the much coveted 8-speed auto
MSPR 31450 selling for 24000 out the door (doc destination is included tax is extra)
What do you guys think ? that's almost 23.7% off MSRP
will I be missing the AC ? here in NE (ME)
Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Sticker on that was about 28k, plus the AT. Price sounds nice. Only you can say how much you need the A/C.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
I think not having AC will kill you on resale. Everyone wants AC in their vehicle in this day and age. Unless you plan on driving this thing until you die, pass.

richardya

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge 2011
Vehicle Showcase
I think not having AC will kill you on resale. Everyone wants AC in their vehicle in this day and age. Unless you plan on driving this thing until you die, pass.
There is a reason they dont offer AC on the base trim. Classic upsell.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wranglerflx

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
figured the two weeks when AC is really needed up here I am gonna drop the top anyway :)
anything else around was 4K more (like sports S or AC + overpriced option$ I don't really need)
money is tight

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Yeah, but you might eat that 4k on the back end. Just something to think about.

figured the two weeks when AC is really needed up here I am gonna drop the top anyway :)
anything else around was 4K more (like sports S or AC + overpriced option$ I don't really need)
money is tight

OP
OP
wranglerflx

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a reason they dont offer AC on the base trim. Classic upsell.
frankly I have never ever seen one w/o AC (in any trim)
and I have been drooling for one for many many years

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
frankly I have never ever seen one w/o AC (in any trim)
and I have been drooling for one for many many years
No doubt you can get away without A/C in Maine. First car I bought out of college didn't have A/C (upstate NY and only need a couple/3 weeks during the summer). This was 1979 and a fair amount of cars on the lot did not have A/C (higher cost option too).

What I wasn't thinking about - I was getting ready to go into the USMC and heading south in a couple of months. Had that car not even a year before I cried uncle and trade it in for one with A/C:).

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
money is tight
Yes! On both my jeeps I have had top & doors off when I would have needed A/C.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Don’t let anybody talk you into air-conditioning you can live and survive without air-conditioning in any state. I am older and had many many cars without ac. I live in Southern California sat hours in high heat traffic and I never died. It’s a jeep come on.
Also I wouldn’t sweat trading it in you don’t sound like the kind of person that’s going to flip cars very often. 10 plus years down the road you are so much farther ahead on the price it won’t matter really.
Also note : when it does come time to sell you can beat anybody’s price you will be the cheapest jeep listed for sale because you paid the least and it’ll sell.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Don’t let anybody talk you into air-conditioning you can live and survive without air-conditioning in any state. I am older and had many many cars without ac. I live in Southern California sat hours in high heat traffic and I never died. It’s a jeep come on.
Also I wouldn’t sweat trading it in you don’t sound like the kind of person that’s going to flip cars very often. 10 years down the road you were so much farther ahead on the price it won’t matter really
You can survive, but living in the desert in the summer or in the high humid areas like Houston, no AC wouldn't be something I would nix off my "must-haves".

But in Maine, that's a different story for sure, especially if the OP has plans to remove the top when the weather allows. Plus having no AC in those areas I mentioned will definitely make it tough sell if & when the time comes. I'm not one to worry about resale when I purchase a vehicle as I keep mine typically well past the time when most depreciation occurs.

OP if your budget is tight that sounds like a perfect deal for you, and would love to be in that part of the country (I'd even sacrifice my AC for it :) )

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I had an 85 CJ that didn't have AC. When I sold it it was the excuse everyone gave me for why they couldn't buy it.

Now, I'm in Texas, so it's very different.

If you're driving around the northeast with the top up and need AC, you need you're head examined.

I'd do it. That's just me.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
You can easily suffer through without AC. Would I? No way. Not anymore. And I live at 7k feet.

OP
OP
wranglerflx

wranglerflx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also considered a Roxor
when it came in the US market as a 2018 model it was only 12999 but then it went to 16999
then the 2020 model is easily topping 30000 for a base automatic
ROXOR 2020 16,599.00 BASE MSRP 36,009.72 AS CONFIGURED
suddenly a 24K wrangler made total sense for me
Thank you for your replies I think I am gonna put a deposit for this ultra-cheap wrangler
:)
Sponsored