Sponsored

Banks Power - Ram Air Intake

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Banks is working on an intake for the 3.6, which should be available this fall.

From monitor to fleshed out part: Banks intakes go through a rigorous process before they're approved for production. Designed in CAD first, this step often sees several revisions before the part is tested in CFD (computational fluid dynamics), a computer simulation used to perfect the intake for the best airflow. After restrictions are removed and the most ideal air path is created, a full-sized plastic prototype is printed in sections using in-house 3D printers, glued together and prepped for testing.

After rapid prototyping, the first stop is the flow bench to see if everything matches the computer simulations. The part then moves to the engine compartment where it's tested on both the chassis dyno and the street. Great flow doesn’t matter if the intake doesn’t provide the best air density, and sometimes these tests will send the Engineering Team back to to the studio for various tweaks in the design. At that point the process begins again until they have a product that provides the most density-rich air possible. Because after all, it's all about air density. The more you have in the cylinders, the more power the engine will make.

Ram Air intakes for Jeep JL and Gladiator go on sale early this fall.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Sponsored

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
Any facts/figures on anticipated HP/Torque improvements? I would anticipate 10/10 based on other similar products but really like the Banks name.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Slight update from Banks:
No, the Jeep JL pictured isn’t a teen going through puberty in need of pimple cream. What you’re seeing is part of the Banks development process when creating a new Ram-Air system, something that happens at the very start of the project.

After digitizing both the stock intake system and the cavity in which it lives to get the size and available room to work with, the engineer will put spires of clay in key positions on the top of the intake assembly, close the hood, then measure the squished height of the clay. Because when making an upgrade that takes advantage of every millimeter available, these measurements are imperative. After the design process, creation of rapid-prototype parts, flowbench, dyno, on-road testing and air density testing the engineers will produce the intake only if it beats every competitor. Once it smokes all others, the trigger is pulled and it moves into production.

1.jpg

And speaking of testing, of the top 10 JL cold air intakes, Banks ranks number 1 in performance. No surprise there, right?

Jeep JL owners will be able to appreciate what it took for the engineering team to make the best intake available when they experience the Banks Ram-Air system when it hits dealers' shelves in the next few months.

2.jpg

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Another small update:

unnamed.jpg

2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL Ram-Air Intake

The new 2018+ Jeep Wrangler JL intake will soon be available. And yes, as expected, it flows better and has more power potential than any other JL intake on the market. We bought every JL intake we could find and put all of them on the flow bench and drove them on the road, testing for airflow increases or decreases, horsepower and torque gains. The new Banks Ram-Air intake has two unique features that set it apart from the pack.
It’s quieter than the rest: The Banks Ram-Air was designed with a Helmholtz resonator, which is an “acoustic filter” of sorts that eliminates the annoying drone that can be found in many intakes currently on the market. This device is named after its creator, Hermann von Helmholtz. And how does it work? There are many papers on the interwebs explaining it in grueling detail with formulas to back it up, but in plain terms it works like this: A Helmholtz resonator is comprised of an expansion chamber, a compartment or bladder of sorts that is connected by a neck, which is in turn connected to the intake tube portion of our Ram-Air system. Depending on the size and shape of those components the sound can change. When the air rushes over the opening of the “H” resonator the air inside it bounces out with a harmonic frequency, creating sound. That sound reduces the resonance frequency in the tube and the volume essentially shushing unwanted sound.
It has a patented fit: While bellows in intakes are commonly used to accommodate engine movement, they can cause turbulence in the airflow, slowing things down inside. To avoid unwanted restrictions in airflow Banks created the “slipper fit.”
The patented design incorporates a beveled portion on the air filter that nestles against a specially contoured portion of the airbox, allowing movement while keeping a perfect seal and eliminating the need for a bellows.
These may seem small things, but it’s all part of the engineering process taken here. Banks goes the extra mile seeking every possible advantage, and toils over them until the product offered is the best that it can be.
Stay tuned for an announcement for when this will be available!

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Wonder what makes it a ram air? Is the hood cut like the mopar piece? Can't see the passenger side on any of the pictures.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Wonder what makes it a ram air? Is the hood cut like the mopar piece? Can't see the passenger side on any of the pictures.
I bet somebody in their marketing department didn't realize that "ram air" had an actual meaning.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I want to see some dyno tests. Just because it says Banks, doesn't impress me.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I want to see some dyno tests. Just because it says Banks, doesn't impress me.
So is there a specific Banks product that does not impress you? They seem to do a pretty good job of getting superior performance data over the competition with almost everything they do.

OP, any new updates/info?

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
So is there a specific Banks product that does not impress you? They seem to do a pretty good job of getting superior performance data over the competition with almost everything they do.

Nothing yet. I'm just reposting their mailing list here, so any updates are when they release them.

I'm willing to bet that the gains are going to be similar to the JK, which was 8HP & 11 lb-ft. They have a testing report for the JK also, but I can't view it right now to see if there is a dyno chart (I'm on my phone, no Adobe Flash) https://www.bankspower.com/i-532-ram-air-intake-system-oiled-filter-for-2012-2018-jeep-wrangler-3-6l-jk.html#!year=2017||make=JEEP||model=WRANGLER||submodel=3.6L GAS

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

I'm not a fan of the past prices, to power gains, with Banks, and diesel trucks. This makes me want to see 3rd party evaluations of their products, for power gains. I would also like to see comparisons, with similar products from different manufacturers. . But, I will say, Banks products are well made.

GunMah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

The liberal use of "Ram Air" and marketing jargon without any data probably keeps most people skeptical. Also, I wonder why they bothered with a Helmholz chamber. Seems like added R&D and PPU will make this intake cost a premium
Sponsored