OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Man I want to love this thing so bad! Obvious they did some awesome R&D. However, still keeping my wallet closed until we get some dyno numbers. Not worth it if at the end of the day if all it does is makes cool vroom vroom noises. I don't trust butt dynos. The power of suggestion is real...
I'm actually skeptical that any cold air intakes have any meaningful effect on peak power, unless you tune the ECU. The ECU is only going to increase fueling & ignition to a set point, and colder air won't make much power difference other than what you could get from the leaner mixture.
Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Another update. No peak power claims, but still some good info.

Banks Ram-AirĀ® Intake for Jeep 3.6L Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT
New cold air intake with over-sized filter outflows and outfilters the competition.
ram-air-jeep-jl-600x338.jpg

Banks Power, an innovator in gas and diesel performance for over 60 years, introduces the latest in its Ram-AirĀ® family of emissions compliant performance cold air intakes. The new system gives the Jeep 3.6L Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT exceptional horsepower and reliability by providing the engine with increased air density, airflow and the best filtration available.

The Ram-Air cold air intake adds a tested best-in-class airflow of 782 CFM, a gain of 82% over stock and 21.6% over its closest competitor. The system produces lower temperature air at higher pressure providing air density right at the throttle inlet. As a result, the Banks Ram-Air system boasts a 38% air density improvement compared to the stock intake, two times the increase of its closest competitor. This lower temperature air provides more thermal headroom before the engine hits the detonation limit of the fuel, resulting in more power on hot days.

Its durable molded plastic housing is fully enclosed, keeping power-robbing hot air in the engine bay where it belongs and not in the intake system. At the heart of the Ram-Air system is Banksā€™ new Big-Assā„¢ Filter element which is the largest and least restrictive in its class. Like all Banks Ram-Air intakes, the system was designed using computational fluid dynamics, followed by rigorous testing on the flow bench, dynamometer and on-road driving.

Available in both oiled and dry variations, Banksā€™ new Big-Assā„¢ filters offer 672 square inches of surface area, 21% more than their closest competitor. This allows for greater dirt collection and more miles between cleaning. The Ram-Air advantage becomes even more pronounced the dirtier the filter gets. Competitive filters clog up and become restrictive long before the Big-Ass Filter. Superior filtration is accomplished by using a proprietary multi-layer woven cloth that keeps even the finest dirt and debris out of the intake system while providing maximum airflow.

The Ram-Air also offers an appealing growl under acceleration while utilizing a Helmholtz resonator to eliminate the annoying drone found with competitive intake systems.

Features Overview

• 782 CFM, 82% gain over stock
  • 38% air density improvement over stock
  • More thermal headroom on hot days
  • 672 in2 filter, 21% larger than closest competitor
  • Greater dirt capacity than competitors
  • More miles between cleanings
  • Appealing growl, no drone
The Banks Ram-Air cold air intake system (Part No. 41843 with oiled filter) (Part No. 41843-D with dry filter) fits all 2018-2020 Jeep 3.6L Wrangler JL and 2020 Gladiator JT engines and is available via Banks Power authorized dealers or bankspower.com at a low $390. CARB compliance in process.
Filter_Comparison_Email.jpg

41843_airflow.gif

41843_density.gif

The first of many reviews of the new Ram-Air system.
Sounds like a bunch of marketing fluff. Banks is trying really hard to sell these without showing their dyno testing for a reason.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Sounds like a bunch of marketing fluff. Banks is trying really hard to sell these without showing their dyno testing for a reason.
Or it could be that all cold-air intakes on the 3.6 don't make any more peak power, and that it's hard to compete with other companies false claims.

Last edited:

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
Or it could be that all cold-air intakes on the 3.6 don't make any more peak power, and that it's hard to compete with other companies false claims.

Or they could do some good 'ol 0-60 tests timed by a tazer like these people did. The AFE intake shaved .42 seconds off their time with stock exhaust...pretty good.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the same baloney and no data to back it up they used for their "new and improved" rear axle covers that were so freaking fugly I would not buy one based on that point alone.

Sponsored

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
One guy on the Banks site said that it was too loud. I like a nice growl, but do not want to deal with something that is extraordinary. I have always loved Banks products.

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
One guy on the Banks site said that it was too loud. I like a nice growl, but do not want to deal with something that is extraordinary. I have always loved Banks products.
Intakes such as these are typically pretty quiet until you stomp on the gas. At that point, most of us don't mind a bit of vroom vroom noises. Just normal day-to-day operations is usually pretty mild. Yes I am generalizing as I don't own a Banks, but have had several similar intakes on several vehicles ranging from a Scion Xb to an SRT8 Hemi 300c.

daboink

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Wrangler JL 3.6
Occupation
Design/Builder
Thanks. I had an AFE open filter on my old JK, I just haven't had a clear sound clip or seen one of these with the closed box. I have had several instances on the JL where my foot gets into the gas with the clutch depressed and it gets up to some high RPMs and I still don't hear the engine. That is what I am trying to fix. Plus it's just fun going through the gears... just not too loud all of the time.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
These "cold air intakes" are a boon for manufacturers. They're all $300-400 and made with a few dollars worth of Fisher-Price toy materials. The result of these devices is documented across the internet...something between 0 and 2 or 3% increase in power. If it weren't for the additional noise they make, nobody would ever notice the difference.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't spend the money, and frankly, I don't really trust the filtration for my engine, which will be subjected to very dusty trails, time and time again. BUT, I do have access to a rear wheel dyno. My nephew owns a company that builds Honda engines for drag racing and midget racers and he just recently put the dyno in his shop. He put my brother's Camaro ZL1 1LE on it to see what it had and it showed 570 rwhp! (That Camaro is one badass fun car to drive, btw!)

Anyway, if i had one of these for free, I'd do a dyno run on the stock intake and then one with the Banks and we could see some real numbers, complete with all the beautiful graphs and readouts the computers will produce for analysis. Could be fun. I'm just not paying bc like I said, off-roading is a part of my Jeep's mission in life and it needs to be protected by a competent paper filter. I do have a Magnaflow axle back, but I don't think it flows anymore than stock. It just sounds good.

Btw, here is a graph of the Camaro in blue with my nephew's Civic Type R in red. The Camaro is bone stock while the Type R has had the engine worked over and has a custom performance tune on racing fuel. Both cars were in 4th gear, in red. We could do the Jeep in the same gear for both intakes and clearly see if there is a difference. We could try it in a couple different gears, too, if that is worth anything. I'm no expert, but my nephew would be able to interpret it and tell us exactly what benefit, if any, came from the Banks intake.

CTTsi4a.jpg

It would be fun. I just don't have the $$ to throw away. Of course, if a miracle happened and it gained 10hp or so, I'd sure be tempted.......nah. I do bet it would sound good. I love what the Magnaflow did with the 3.6. It sounds like music going through the gears.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Btw, imagine the fun of a little Civid with 521 peak hp at the wheels! The thing is flat ridiculous! Lol!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hell, I hardly ever floor my jeep anyway. WTF would I get one of these if I don't use what hp I have. I'm still so damned impressed with how well powered the JL is over a JK. Before I bought and drove a JL, I had in mind that I would put a Edelbrock supercharger on it as soon as they were available. After driving my JL for a month, I dropped that idea.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
These "cold air intakes" are a boon for manufacturers. They're all $300-400 and made with a few dollars worth of Fisher-Price toy materials. The result of these devices is documented across the internet...something between 0 and 2 or 3% increase in power. If it weren't for the additional noise they make, nobody would ever notice the difference.
As opposed to the fisher price materials that Jeep/FCA used? While their talk of increased airflow doesn't add up.. you can't increase the output of an internal combustion engine w/o compression, camshaft profiles, exhaust etc. I would welcome the inlet changes.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I would not keep the Ram Air, btw, as long as it didn't require any mods and would just basically bolt/snap in and then come right out. I'd sent it back to whoever sent it after the test. Maybe a Banks rep will see this and send it. If it gains anything, these racing engineers will show it to us all and the mystery will be cleared up. I'd be a 100% independent tester, especially since it does't fit my Jeep's purpose. (If it gained 25hp, that might change my mind, but I doubt seriously that would happen!)
Sponsored