DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The liberal use of "Ram Air" and marketing jargon without any data probably keeps most people skeptical. Also, I wonder why they bothered with a Helmholz chamber. Seems like added R&D and PPU will make this intake cost a premium
Well, they are known for extensive R&D but we don't know the price on this yet.

I agree that the Ram Air marketing is silly without a scoop. But if it delivers performance, I don't care what they call it.
Sponsored

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
Banks easily makes the best intakes on the market for any vehicle that they produce for. like stated above their R&D is the best and unmatched buy anyone. these twits talking about what ram air are dumb and actually don't know what ram air is actually defined as.. so google it and learn. I have the K&N one on it was the first released and it works of course but its stupid loud and the filter isn't the greatest. I put a AEM dry flow in to replace the K&N element when I received it. I'm waiting for banks to release theirs so I can upgrade and change over.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
these twits talking about what ram air are dumb and actually don't know what ram air is actually defined as.. so google it and learn.
Since you asked so kindly, here is what the first result on Google says (from Wikipedia, emphasis added by me):
A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an internal combustion engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power.

Now, since the JL intake is not yet released, I am going to assume that the the JK version is very similar in design. It does also have the "Ram-Air" branding. I'm not an automotive engineer, but unless you are going to drive with the hood open or remove a headlight, I don't see how vehicle motion will increase the static air pressure at the manifold any meaningful amount over stock.

M143799260.jpg

M143799258.jpg

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So is this released yet? I saw the ad in a jeep magazine last month for it but don't see it on the web site...

slamr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB, Harley SE Street Glide
Since you asked so kindly, here is what the first result on Google says (from Wikipedia, emphasis added by me):
A ram-air intake is any intake design which uses the dynamic air pressure created by vehicle motion to increase the static air pressure inside of the intake manifold on an internal combustion engine, thus allowing a greater massflow through the engine and hence increasing engine power.

Now, since the JL intake is not yet released, I am going to assume that the the JK version is very similar in design. It does also have the "Ram-Air" branding. I'm not an automotive engineer, but unless you are going to drive with the hood open or remove a headlight, I don't see how vehicle motion will increase the static air pressure at the manifold any meaningful amount over stock.

M143799260.jpg

M143799258.jpg
Any update on this?

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Any update on this?
I just received an update:

unnamed.jpg

2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Ram-Air Intake

The new 2018-2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Ram-Air Intake will be shipping in February. It flows better and has more power potential than any other competitive JL intake on the market. How do we know? The Engineering team bought and tested all of them on the flow bench, dyno and on-road. But more than just power, the intake delivers amazing sound without the annoying drone produced by other intake systems. This is accomplished by using a Helmholtz resonator.

unnamed (1).jpg

Superior flow is achieved by using computational fluid dynamics and relentless flow bench testing of 3D-printed models. The filter element also features the most surface area of any JL intake available which allows for more dust collection and less frequent cleaning.

The Banks Ram-Air system for the Jeep JL 3.6L will be available for pre-order soon!

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door

Fire Burns

First Name
Fire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6; 2006 Chrysler 300c SRT-8
@AnnDee4444 Banks is a quality company with quality engineering. Clearly Banks has done their homework with this setup. Indeed, I don't doubt the validity of the flow numbers provided. That said, I'm not sure many cares about the flow stats themselves if they don't accompany an actual dyno sheet. Really, what would it mean to flow even 1,000% better than the competition if the net HP is 1 or 2 horses for the investment.

Better yet, give us dyno charts overlaid with not only the stock HP numbers, but that of the competitions as well, considering those were used during R&D.

At the end of the day, us Jeepers are ready to support the companies that are forthright and honest. Brand loyalty is high amongst us once we are convinced its a great product and worth our hard earned cash. If Banks can do that for us, they will have many customers in this market!

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@AnnDee4444 Banks is a quality company with quality engineering. Clearly Banks has done their homework with this setup. Indeed, I don't doubt the validity of the flow numbers provided. That said, I'm not sure many cares about the flow stats themselves if they don't accompany an actual dyno sheet. Really, what would it mean to flow even 1,000% better than the competition if the net HP is 1 or 2 horses for the investment.

Better yet, give us dyno charts overlaid with not only the stock HP numbers, but that of the competitions as well, considering those were used during R&D.

At the end of the day, us Jeepers are ready to support the companies that are forthright and honest. Brand loyalty is high amongst us once we are convinced its a great product and worth our hard earned cash. If Banks can do that for us, they will have many customers in this market!
I agree, an actual dyno chart would have been useful. I don't doubt Banks has done their research, but it's probably just that the peak power results were negligible and it's hard to compete with all the other companies questionable power gain claims.

I'm not affiliated with Banks in any way, just excited to see them making parts for the JL. My ultimate goal is actually to get a big enough Jeep market, so that Banks starts to make parts for the 2.0.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll let you guys know what the buttometer increases to when I receive it.
Let us know about the sound, too. I've tossed around the idea of the Mopar, because I like the direct cold-air through the hood vent, but I also like that it can be closed off and a standard paper filter installed for off-road trips. I like the Banks unit because of their rep and you can clearly see that the filter area is probably twice that of the stock filter, so from there on back the airflow is going to be significantly better, most likely.

The stock setup actually appears to do a good job of getting cold air to the engine. It has a scoop at the bottom of the grille that channels cold air up and right into the mouth of the intake. Clearly Banks has left that piece in there and has taken advantage of it. It makes me wonder if they found in their testing that it does as good a job as a hood vent would do, or close enough not to make it worth changing.

I do admire Gale Banks. He's forgotten more about making power just since Tuesday than I'll ever know. And he's a superb communicator, which is not a trait that is overly common among engineers.

I can't wait to hear your report!

Oh, btw, does Banks offer a pre-filter cover for off-roading? Some CAI makers have these. They just slip over the filter, like a sock. I had one on a Polaris 800 ATV I used to have and it did a great job of pre-filtering fine dust. That would be ideal for a Jeep.

Also, those with experience, which is advantageous, the oiled filter or dry? I see they list the same air flow for both.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Let us know about the sound, too. I've tossed around the idea of the Mopar, because I like the direct cold-air through the hood vent, but I also like that it can be closed off and a standard paper filter installed for off-road trips. I like the Banks unit because of their rep and you can clearly see that the filter area is probably twice that of the stock filter, so from there on back the airflow is going to be significantly better, most likely.

The stock setup actually appears to do a good job of getting cold air to the engine. It has a scoop at the bottom of the grille that channels cold air up and right into the mouth of the intake. Clearly Banks has left that piece in there and has taken advantage of it. It makes me wonder if they found in their testing that it does as good a job as a hood vent would do, or close enough not to make it worth changing.

I do admire Gale Banks. He's forgotten more about making power just since Tuesday than I'll ever know. And he's a superb communicator, which is not a trait that is overly common among engineers.

I can't wait to hear your report!

Oh, btw, does Banks offer a pre-filter cover for off-roading? Some CAI makers have these. They just slip over the filter, like a sock. I had one on a Polaris 800 ATV I used to have and it did a great job of pre-filtering fine dust. That would be ideal for a Jeep.

Also, those with experience, which is advantageous, the oiled filter or dry? I see they list the same air flow for both.
I ordered the dry filter as in the past Ive has issues with the oil contaminating the MAF sensors etc..

you can order prefilter socks from AFE or amsoil I believe, just need to measure the size of the filter. I am curious about the water fording as well, I did not see a picture of the fresh air opening so not sure how far down the fresh air intake portion is. Will see... I dont remember seeing any "intake tube" from the grille to the intake. I just installed AAL inner fenders so when I do the install should be able to get some good photos.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
@AnnDee4444 My cc is burning a hole in my pocket. The reason it is still in my pocket is because I don't see any dyno #'s for HP gain/loss.
I am not affiliated with Banks in any way.
Sponsored