First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
It’s my understanding the HD Diesel tune is just reselling GDE. However, GDE provides them the delete tune since it’s allowed in Canada. If you want a GDE delete tune just order from HD Diesel.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
It’s my understanding the HD Diesel tune is just reselling GDE. However, GDE provides them the delete tune since it’s allowed in Canada. If you want a GDE delete tune just order from HD Diesel.
According to their numbers looks like the gains are pretty mild from the Delete tune to the Compliant tune.

For example

GDE Compliant
+33 HP
+50 Lb Ft Torque
+2 ~ 4 MPG

HD Diesel Delete Tune
+45 HP
+85 Lb Ft Torque
+2.9 ~ 5.5 MPG

So by deleting you only gain
12 HP, 35 Lb Ft Torque & 0.9 ~ 1.5 MPG over the compliant tune.

Doesn’t seem worth the risk to me of not being able to pass smog ever again here. Unless I beat the guts out of the stick units which would be a lot of work and still just as illegal. Plus I’d be crossing fingers to pass when smog time rolls around.

For me I’ll be going compliant for sure since I live in Eco-Nazi California and this is my daily.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
According to their numbers looks like the gains are pretty mild from the Delete tune to the Compliant tune.

For example

GDE Compliant
+33 HP
+50 Lb Ft Torque
+2 ~ 4 MPG

HD Diesel Delete Tune
+45 HP
+85 Lb Ft Torque
+2.9 ~ 5.5 MPG

So by deleting you only gain
12 HP, 35 Lb Ft Torque & 0.9 ~ 1.5 MPG over the compliant tune.

Doesn’t seem worth the risk to me of not being able to pass smog ever again here. Unless I beat the guts out of the stick units which would be a lot of work and still just as illegal. Plus I’d be crossing fingers to pass when smog time rolls around.

For me I’ll be going compliant for sure since I live in Eco-Nazi California and this is my daily.
I would go with the delete tune just to remove all the exhaust complexity and weight. That would free up room for an axualary gas tank. I will wait till my warranty is near complete. My state will be the last in the union to implement vehicle inspections.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I would go with the delete tune just to remove all the exhaust complexity and weight. That would free up room for an axualary gas tank. I will wait till my warranty is near complete. My state will be the last in the union to implement vehicle inspections.
California will suspend my registration if they figure out any of the emissions crap was messed with.

Which would be extremely unfortunate as the cost to replace all this shit would be like 10k+ if you took it all off and got rid of it.

Or save an enormous pile of parts to collect dust. Neither sounds great

Sponsored

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
California will suspend my registration if they figure out any of the emissions crap was messed with.

Which would be extremely unfortunate as the cost to replace all this shit would be like 10k+ if you took it all off and got rid of it.

Or save an enormous pile of parts to collect dust. Neither sounds great
it isn't a lot of parts at all... its really just the dpf that you have to keep. slap it back on via welded on flanges and get your inspection... take it off right after. this really would only take you half an hour a year...

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
The with the old HDE tunes you sent them your ECM and they cloned and flashed it. The dealer couldn’t tell it was modified. You could even order a new computer so you could switch them out when u went in to the dealer. Now that they use a programmer and you don’t send them your ECU I’m not sure if the dealer can’t see it anymore. I liked the idea of having 2 ECUs one stock and one programmed. Prefer this method so even if I do full delete I can bolt it all back on if I need to and no one is the wiser.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
it isn't a lot of parts at all... its really just the dpf that you have to keep. slap it back on via welded on flanges and get your inspection... take it off right after. this really would only take you half an hour a year...
You don’t think they would be looking for an SCR, entire EGR system, or DEF tank since it’s a 2021?

Also don’t you think the tune would need to be addressed before and after the removal and reinstall of the straight pipe?

I bet the truck would run like shit on a tune meant for no DPF with one installed.

Not to mention you damn sure couldn’t revert to stock tune without putting all the emissions BS back in.

The Jeep would go ape shit and throw all kinds of codes and never pass emissions in a million years with the stock tune and DPF, but the EGR system removed along with the entire DEF tank, sensors, injector, the SCR itself and so on.

I would be surprised as hell if the Jeep even made it to the emissions spot on the stock programming with all the codes it would throw like that.

So then what? You need a 3rd special tune just to pass emissions which accommodates no EGR, or SCR but does allow for a DPF...... I don’t know about all that.

Last edited:

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Getting a little off topic from Banks here. I for one am looking forward to seeing Banks offerings. They may not make the most power compared to other tuners out there but they are probably the safest and best engineered. Banks uses plug in harnesses instead of reprogramming the ECU so it can always be removed or unplugged if needed. And you can usually leave these types plugged in but turned off for emissions testing. At least you could in the past.

One slight word of caution though is if you are thinking of going with a CAI and that is to use Banks CAI along with their tuner. A different brand like AFE or S&B may throw MAF codes. I've seen this happen when trying to run a S&B CAI and Banks 6 gun on my dad's LMM Duramax.

Another nice thing about Banks is their Speedbrake for diesels. I am running a Banks Speedbrake on my Duramax LBZ and it is amazing at how well it can control your speed when going down hill and towing a trailer. A brake pad life saver for sure!

Harrybeerbelly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tackhawk
Here in Ohio you can do the emissions test via the OBD port. I can tell you for a fact that I have a friend that has a highly modified 996 turbo with no cats. The ECM program tells the OBD port test everything is okay and passes the test every time.

Would be cool if my friend could do the same thing with his diesel Jeep.

One other thing my friend has done with other modified cars. Again in Ohio. You can provide them with receipts of over 5k in modifications and apply for a collector plate. The collector plate is exempt from the emissions test.

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Here in Ohio you can do the emissions test via the OBD port. I can tell you for a fact that I have a friend that has a highly modified 996 turbo with no cats. The ECM program tells the OBD port test everything is okay and passes the test every time.

Would be cool if my friend could do the same thing with his diesel Jeep.

One other thing my friend has done with other modified cars. Again in Ohio. You can provide them with receipts of over 5k in modifications and apply for a collector plate. The collector plate is exempt from the emissions test.
CA does it through the OBD port as well. I don't know what it looks for so I haven't tried it with the tune installed on my Duramax though. My tune disables the EGR and I thought that the smog test checks to make sure the EGR is working properly. (probably just checks for codes) Since I use a handheld programmer, I simply reinstall my factory tune. My dad's Banks equipped truck, he just turned it off and it passed fine. Smog inspection shops are supposed to do a visual check as well to make sure everything is intact and also blip the throttle to check for smoke. I've never seen that done though.

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
The smog shops are checking to make sure that the 'readiness monitors' are set (at least on a gas vehicle). You can check these at home with an OBDII reader... I always check these prior to getting smoged just to ensure that I won't fail.

Here's what I use:
- Phone app
- OBDII-Bluetooth adapter like this one

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
OK so what’s the trade off? You can’t have more power, better mpg, less soot loading, less EGR use, and less SCR use without sacrificing something. The only way all of those things come together with zero sacrifice is if Jeep’s engineers purposefully created a less efficient, less powerful, less reliable system with no upside to any of it.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
But Thats exactly what they did.... All done to appease the new EPA standards.
Except that 3rd party tuners are reportedly able to pass emissions standards with better fuel economy, better power, less DEF, fewer regens etc. FCA doesn’t have a vastly different tune simply to appease the EPA/CARB. They are weighing trade-offs that the tuners aren’t transparent about or simply don’t understand.
Sponsored