Sponsored

Banks Power - Exhaust, Intake, Tuner

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Looks like Banks Power is going to be making some products for the 3.0. From the newsletter I received:

rd_1_jeep2020_em.jpg?width=1120&upscale=true&name=rd_1_jeep2020_em.jpg

2020 Jeep Wrangler EcoDiesel 3.0 liter
Banks engineers just got their hands on the new 2020 Jeep EcoDiesel Wrangler and even before the driver was able to exit the vehicle, they had the hood open scanning the engine compartment and reading sensors. While the vehicle is here at Banks, the mission is to see how the ECM communicates, “sniff’ out what’s being broadcast and what info can be requested with the iDash DataMonster as well as measure the exhaust and digitize the available space where the stock intake system resides. Then, the team can start designing the Monster Exhaust system, Ram-Air intake system, Derringer tuner connectors and communication strategy and of course to ensure that the iDash can see as much of the ECM’s communication as possible.

rd_2_jeep2020_em.jpg?width=1120&upscale=true&name=rd_2_jeep2020_em.jpg

There’s a lot going on in preparation for some great products for the EcoDiesel Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT, but then again it's the same approach Banks has used for decades. The results are winning products that fit right and deliver best in class power and efficiency.
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
It’s a shame their system will have to keep the EGR, DPF and SCR systems intact because I don’t think a tune can drastically improve their reliability.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I'll be interested in an intake, but as far as tuning I'm leaning towards buying another ECM and going for full delete tune from Canada. Either way its good to see some aftermarket support.

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It’s a shame their system will have to keep the EGR, DPF and SCR systems intact because I don’t think a tune can drastically improve their reliability.
The can cut them out if they can handle the massive fines the EPA would hit them with if they did that. What's a few million dollars and all your work tossed out of the window.

I used a Bully Dog Chip with my Duramax and I picked up over 100 plus HP. Didn't touch any of the stock equipment...oh forgot to mention...pre-Bludef...so there's that too!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The can cut them out if they can handle the massive fines the EPA would hit them with if they did that. What's a few million dollars and all your work tossed out of the window.

I used a Bully Dog Chip with my Duramax and I picked up over 100 plus HP. Didn't touch any of the stock equipment...oh forgot to mention...pre-Bludef...so there's that too!
They should just open a small shop in Canada.

Sponsored

2020 Diesel JL

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 CJ3B Diesel, 2018 Camaro Hot Wheels Convertible, 2018 Dodge 3500 Diesel, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide White, 2020 Harley CVO Tri Glide Black, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
General Manager / Owner of CraneWorks Orlando
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered the iDash DataMonster yesterday.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
They should just open a small shop in Canada.
I heard that GDE "sort of" did that. They licensed a Canadian vendor to repackage and sell their full tunes. Again, that's just what I heard. I don't know who the vendor up there is that supposedly is selling their tunes.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
GDE makes clean compliant tunes. They can pretty much tune out/or minimize EGR, make the motor run much cleaner so it REGEN’s about 75% less and supposedly the DEF will last a little longer.

If they can actually accomplish this then it should theoretically make sense that the DPF will last about 3x longer than stock (since it’s seeing 75% less soot and Regen’s) EGR shouldn’t clog up since it’s being minimized / eliminated because the SCR can do its job without dumping soot into the motor.

It’s basically what the factory should’ve done to begin with. They are spending literally months on this tune. It will provide more power than stock, improved MPG, less Regen’s, etc.

I spoke to them about it a month or so ago and they said it should be available by mid year 2021. They are even going to make a Cali complaint one, which is funny as hell.

Fully California compliant, I asked if it would be a different tune and he said no it’s exactly the same one.

Essentially they just have to give California a bunch of money and they will put their blessing on it. I’m thankful for that but damn greedy ass mother fuckers.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GDE makes clean compliant tunes. They can pretty much tune out/or minimize EGR, make the motor run much cleaner so it REGEN’s about 75% less and supposedly the DEF will last a little longer.

If they can actually accomplish this then it should theoretically make sense that the DPF will last about 3x longer than stock (since it’s seeing 75% less soot and Regen’s) EGR shouldn’t clog up since it’s being minimized / eliminated because the SCR can do its job without dumping soot into the motor.

It’s basically what the factory should’ve done to begin with. They are spending literally months on this tune. It will provide more power than stock, improved MPG, less Regen’s, etc.

I spoke to them about it a month or so ago and they said it should be available by mid year 2021. They are even going to make a Cali complaint one, which is funny as hell.

Fully California compliant, I asked if it would be a different tune and he said no it’s exactly the same one.

Essentially they just have to give California a bunch of money and they will put their blessing on it. I’m thankful for that but damn greedy ass mother fuckers.
OK so what’s the trade off? You can’t have more power, better mpg, less soot loading, less EGR use, and less SCR use without sacrificing something. The only way all of those things come together with zero sacrifice is if Jeep’s engineers purposefully created a less efficient, less powerful, less reliable system with no upside to any of it.

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
OK so what’s the trade off? You can’t have more power, better mpg, less soot loading, less EGR use, and less SCR use without sacrificing something. The only way all of those things come together with zero sacrifice is if Jeep’s engineers purposefully created a less efficient, less powerful, less reliable system with no upside to any of it.
To be honest I have no idea what the trade off would be. I would think logically if your tuning out the EGR or lessening it’s use to a great degree then you would use MORE DEF fluid as the SCR & EGR both have the same goal of reducing Nox.

So theoretically one could completely tune out (delete without removing) the EGR system and just make it up in SCR but that would likely take more DEF. Which I would take paying slightly more for DEF any day over getting a clogged up intake and soot through my motor thanks to the EGR.

I can’t speak to what Jeep does with the programming but I’m pretty sure we can all agree it definitely leaves something to be desired.

Here’s a link to the tune they offer now for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Cherokee

https://greendieselengineering.com/fca-eco-diesel-3-0l-v6-performance-fuel-economy/

FCA EcoDiesel 3.0L V6 Tune Details
Engine Output Comparison

All Data measured at wheels on Superflow Dyno

FCA Ecodiesel V6_Full load curves OEM vs GDE Hot v2

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Power - Exhaust, Intake, Tuner power-torque-data-1-1024x576

As indicated, the Green Diesel tune achieves a broad gain over the torque curve giving the driver a huge improvement in the drivability and “seat of the pants” feeling of the vehicle. Coupled with the transmission tune, it is like buying a new vehicle.
Also, the max power of the engine is achieved as soon as possible with the hot tune and maintained over a plateau as wide as possible (roughly 300rpm). This gives a noticeable gain in the performance feeling of the engine while accelerating.
Benefits And Features Of The GDE Performance Tuning Products For The EcoDiesel V6s (Ram 1500 And Jeep Grand Cherokee)
GDE Combustion Concepts
  • Optimized Fuel Economy (2-4mpg* Improvement) Both While Driving And At Idle
  • Engine Longevity Increased
  • Transient Management Of Injection Timing To Reduce Combustion Noise
  • 75% Reduced Soot Formation In Cylinder, Leads To More Miles Between DPF Regens

Better Transient Engine Performance
  • Faster Time-To-Torque Giving Elevated Customer Confidence In The Driving Experience
  • Required Accelerator Pedal Effort To Hold Constant Speeds Is Reduced
  • Engine Performance Is Improved Over Stock From Sea Level To 12000ft Elevation
  • At 5000ft, 0-60mph Is 1.5s Faster; At 9000ft, 0-60mph Is 0.75s Faster

Refined Cruise Control Operation (Only For Vehicles Without Adaptive Cruise Control)
  • Retuned Speed Control For Improved Fuel Economy
  • Better Gear Holding During Accelerations And Uphill Driving
  • Lower Possible Set Speed (15mph Instead Of 25mph, Can Resume From 5mph)
  • Faster Buttons' Response

Superior Management Of Grille Shutters
  • Shutters Will Now Function In Cold Ambient Temperatures For Better Warmup Performance
  • More Expansive Criteria For Closing The Shutters

Two-footing driving is now permissible

Improved Operation Of Three-Way Coolant Valve To Give Engine Warm-Up Benefits

Eliminated High Pressure Pump Noise For MY15 And Newer Vehicles

More Intuitive Driver Indications

• Glow Plugs Indicator Will Be Displayed Only When Glow Plugs Are Actually On

Improved Cooling Fan Control
  • Fan Will Now Run For A Certain Amount Of Time After Shut-Down To Cool Down The Engine And Exhaust System
  • Activates If Either The Regen Is Still Active When The Engine Is Shut Off, Or If The Exhaust Temps Are Above A Prescribed Limit
  • Earlier Activation Based On Coolant Temp While Driving To Keep Engine And Oil Cooler

Refined Transmission Control
  • Quicker Shifting, More Intuitive Gear Selection
  • More Use Of Converter Lockup To Reduce Trans Fluid Temps And Improve Fuel Economy
  • Holds Gear Better At Speed

TUNE OPTIONS
  • Engine Braking While Coasting
  • "Regeneration In Progress" Message Activated For All Regenerations
Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Power - Exhaust, Intake, Tuner tunning-oxz1u9p2ue9mbcvexdgrlf08u6ft2y8lh8jfqjlxxo

ProductionHot Tune
217 hp @ 3550 rpm250 hp @ 3550 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm455 lb-ft @ 2540 rpm

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
To be honest I have no idea what the trade off would be. I would think logically if your tuning out the EGR or lessening it’s use to a great degree then you would use MORE DEF fluid as the SCR & EGR both have the same goal of reducing Nox.

So theoretically one could completely tune out (delete without removing) the EGR system and just make it up in SCR but that would likely take more DEF. Which I would take paying slightly more for DEF any day over getting a clogged up intake and soot through my motor thanks to the EGR.

I can’t speak to what Jeep does with the programming but I’m pretty sure we can all agree it definitely leaves something to be desired.

Here’s a link to the tune they offer now for the 3.0 EcoDiesel Cherokee

https://greendieselengineering.com/fca-eco-diesel-3-0l-v6-performance-fuel-economy/

FCA EcoDiesel 3.0L V6 Tune Details
Engine Output Comparison

All Data measured at wheels on Superflow Dyno

FCA Ecodiesel V6_Full load curves OEM vs GDE Hot v2

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Power - Exhaust, Intake, Tuner tunning-oxz1u9p2ue9mbcvexdgrlf08u6ft2y8lh8jfqjlxxo

Benefits And Features Of The GDE Performance Tuning Products For The EcoDiesel V6s (Ram 1500 And Jeep Grand Cherokee)
GDE Combustion Concepts
  • Optimized Fuel Economy (2-4mpg* Improvement) Both While Driving And At Idle
  • Engine Longevity Increased
  • Transient Management Of Injection Timing To Reduce Combustion Noise
  • 75% Reduced Soot Formation In Cylinder, Leads To More Miles Between DPF Regens

Better Transient Engine Performance
  • Faster Time-To-Torque Giving Elevated Customer Confidence In The Driving Experience
  • Required Accelerator Pedal Effort To Hold Constant Speeds Is Reduced
  • Engine Performance Is Improved Over Stock From Sea Level To 12000ft Elevation
  • At 5000ft, 0-60mph Is 1.5s Faster; At 9000ft, 0-60mph Is 0.75s Faster

Refined Cruise Control Operation (Only For Vehicles Without Adaptive Cruise Control)
  • Retuned Speed Control For Improved Fuel Economy
  • Better Gear Holding During Accelerations And Uphill Driving
  • Lower Possible Set Speed (15mph Instead Of 25mph, Can Resume From 5mph)
  • Faster Buttons' Response

Superior Management Of Grille Shutters
  • Shutters Will Now Function In Cold Ambient Temperatures For Better Warmup Performance
  • More Expansive Criteria For Closing The Shutters

Two-footing driving is now permissible

Improved Operation Of Three-Way Coolant Valve To Give Engine Warm-Up Benefits

Eliminated High Pressure Pump Noise For MY15 And Newer Vehicles

More Intuitive Driver Indications

• Glow Plugs Indicator Will Be Displayed Only When Glow Plugs Are Actually On

Improved Cooling Fan Control
  • Fan Will Now Run For A Certain Amount Of Time After Shut-Down To Cool Down The Engine And Exhaust System
  • Activates If Either The Regen Is Still Active When The Engine Is Shut Off, Or If The Exhaust Temps Are Above A Prescribed Limit
  • Earlier Activation Based On Coolant Temp While Driving To Keep Engine And Oil Cooler

Refined Transmission Control
  • Quicker Shifting, More Intuitive Gear Selection
  • More Use Of Converter Lockup To Reduce Trans Fluid Temps And Improve Fuel Economy
  • Holds Gear Better At Speed

TUNE OPTIONS
  • Engine Braking While Coasting
  • "Regeneration In Progress" Message Activated For All Regenerations

ProductionHot Tune
217 hp @ 3550 rpm250 hp @ 3550 rpm
405 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm455 lb-ft @ 2540 rpm
Unfortunately that was with the egr delete of the previous gen 3.0s

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Unfortunately that was with the egr delete of the previous gen 3.0s
Correct the tune from them for the EcoDiesel Wrangler is supposed to be out mid year 2021

I would expect similar features as the tune for the last gen EcoDiesel

ItsNo4RE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Willys/17 Ram 1500
Correct the tune from them for the EcoDiesel Wrangler is supposed to be out mid year 2021

I would expect similar features as the tune for the last gen EcoDiesel
Yep, im the one who spoke to hd diesel to get that info, lol.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Yep, im the one who spoke to hd diesel to get that info, lol.
I’m sure you did and I also spoke to Green Diesel Engineering
Sponsored