First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In trying to cure the slight initial hesitation that Jeep has built into the Diesel, I came across the Banks PedalMonster. It seems to be superior to the Pedal Commander in several ways. The most important to me are:
  • draws power from the OBD rather than the pedal plug-in site. Some Pedal Commander users have reported limp home situations. Banks says that that is due to the fragile power provided at the pedal plug-in site.
  • disables itself when in reverse so that you don't accidentally overcook your throttle input when backing up.
  • Made in the USA (vs Turkey for the Pedal Commander)
  • Banks is a long established quantity.
One downside: It appears that my Scangauge will have to go. According to Banks, using a OBD splitter will cause some incompatibility between the two products.

Here's the rub (for me at least). While 2020 Diesels are compatible, they haven't certified the 2021s yet to check for subtle changes. Has anyone damned the torpedos and tried one on their 2021? Any 2020 user experiences to report?
Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
In trying to cure the slight initial hesitation that Jeep has built into the Diesel, I came across the Banks PedalMonster. It seems to be superior to the Pedal Commander in several ways. The most important to me are:
  • draws power from the OBD rather than the pedal plug-in site. Some Pedal Commander users have reported limp home situations. Banks says that that is due to the fragile power provided at the pedal plug-in site.
  • disables itself when in reverse so that you don't accidentally overcook your throttle input when backing up.
  • Made in the USA (vs Turkey for the Pedal Commander)
  • Banks is a long established quantity.
One downside: It appears that my Scangauge will have to go. According to Banks, using a OBD splitter will cause some incompatibility between the two products.

Here's the rub (for me at least). While 2020 Diesels are compatible, they haven't certified the 2021s yet to check for subtle changes. Has anyone damned the torpedos and tried one on their 2021? Any 2020 user experiences to report?
No, I’m going Pedal Commander though. I already have 2 Banks SuperGuages plugged into the OBD2 port and am not interested in running any type of splitter.

I’ll let you know how it works out

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, I’m going Pedal Commander though. I already have 2 Banks SuperGuages plugged into the OBD2 port and am not interested in running any type of splitter.

I’ll let you know how it works out
Ross, this is what has me concerned about the Pedal Commander. Listen to the power source discussion starting at 2:00. BTW, this is a great tutorial on how these throttle controls work.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Ross, this is what has me concerned about the Pedal Commander. Listen to the power source discussion starting at 2:00. BTW, this is a great tutorial on how these throttle controls work.

Helpful vid. Looks like I would not even need an OBD2 splitter since I have the SuperGuage they evidently make a wire that would go from the SuperGuage to the PedalMonster with the BanksBus network.

That being said I may switch from pedal commander (which I haven’t ordered yet) to this since they are the same price and have the same features except this one includes a little more safety features.

Good find on this. Banks also has a kit I saw on their website which would work for you as a replacement to your Scangauge since you be loosing that.

It’s a package deal with a pedal monster and a super gauge for a discount. That may be just the ticket for you. Keep your monitor (upgraded) and have the pedal monster.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Helpful vid. Looks like I would not even need an OBD2 splitter since I have the SuperGuage they evidently make a wire that would go from the SuperGuage to the PedalMonster with the BanksBus network.

That being said I may switch from pedal commander (which I haven’t ordered yet) to this since they are the same price and have the same features except this one includes a little more safety features.

Good find on this. Banks also has a kit I saw on their website which would work for you as a replacement to your Scangauge since you be loosing that.

It’s a package deal with a pedal monster and a super gauge for a discount. That may be just the ticket for you. Keep your monitor (upgraded) and have the pedal monster.
I called them to check fitment. I was advised to wait until February to give them time to validate the 2021s. They said that the 2020 JL Diesels work, but they are leery of subtle changes behind the scenes.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I called them to check fitment. I was advised to wait until February to give them time to validate the 2021s. They said that the 2020 JL Diesels work, but they are leery of subtle changes behind the scenes.
Looks like I may want to hold off as well then mine being 2021...
Sponsored