First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
A new twist on how to deal with warranty service with a Derringer remaining installed:

I found this bypass plug in my Banks boxes - I'd never noticed it before. I called Banks to inquire about it, and was told that this plug is used to make the FRP/MAS connection cable undetectable by the OBDII dealer scans. If you unplug the Derringer unit (on the engine side, not the firewall side), this plug snaps right into place on the FRP/MAS cable and the Derringer, itself, can be completely removed. We'd still have to worry about physical detection of the cable if the engine cover was removed, but for some warranty items (fuel pump recall comes to mind) they wouldn't be working in the engine bay, let alone under the engine cover.

Obviously not as good as a complete removal of all parts, but it will stop the skinned knuckles from trying to wrestle those connections off of the engine. :)

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Derringer "bypass plug" for dealer service IMG_0716 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

memayo

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU, 2023 JLURD
when it comes to "tuned" vehicles I have always asked the service advisor if they are "tuner friendly" & if they are not I have steered clear for ANY work. When taking a vehicle in for work that would be completely unrelated to a tune. If they are, i've left the tune in w/ a cover over the OBII port that says "do not flash"
As far as your question above, I would be more inclined to do that vs removing the wiring from the sensors which would be a major PITA. Then i guess I would remove the idash and tuck those wires? Do you have a pedal monster? does it stay or does it also get removed?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
My intention is to remove my Derringer and pedal monster when I go in for the fuel pump. No sense taking any chances.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Then i guess I would remove the idash and tuck those wires? Do you have a pedal monster? does it stay or does it also get removed?
I won't remove the iDash/PedalMonster because they are nearly impossible to link to any drivetrain issues. The Derringer is a different story.

One thing the bypass plug would be handy for is a roadside breakdown. It would take two minutes to remove the Derringer and replace it with the plug before the tow truck gets there.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

A new twist on how to deal with warranty service with a Derringer remaining installed:

I found this bypass plug in my Banks boxes - I'd never noticed it before. I called Banks to inquire about it, and was told that this plug is used to make the FRP/MAS connection cable undetectable by the OBDII dealer scans. If you unplug the Derringer unit (on the engine side, not the firewall side), this plugs snaps right into place on the FRP/MAS cable and the Derringer, itself, can be completely removed. We'd still have to worry about physical detection of the cable if the engine cover was removed, but for some warranty items (fuel pump recall comes to mind) they wouldn't be working in the engine bay, let alone under the engine cover.

Obviously not as good as a complete removal of all parts, but it will stop the skinned knuckles from trying to wrestle those connections off of the engine. :)

Thoughts?

Nice find thank you so much for sharing I will definitely give this a try next time I go to the dealer for service. Be checking my Banks box right now and see if it's there

Sponsored

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd

I found this bypass plug in my Banks boxes - I'd never noticed it before. I called Banks to inquire about it, and was told that this plug is used to make the FRP/MAS connection cable undetectable by the OBDII dealer scans. If you unplug the Derringer unit (on the engine side, not the firewall side), this plug snaps right into place on the FRP/MAS cable and the Derringer, itself, can be completely removed. We'd still have to worry about physical detection of the cable if the engine cover was removed, but for some warranty items (fuel pump recall comes to mind) they wouldn't be working in the engine bay, let alone under the engine cover.

Thoughts?

I just bought a jeep today. And it came with the banks, and found that in the glove. I asked the dealer about it and asked if any of this was covered under warranty, and they had to go ask the manager, he came back and said yes.

I'm guessing pedal monster isn't on there, I'll be adding that soon.

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Derringer "bypass plug" for dealer service 20230203_160104

Deleted member 59498

I just bought a jeep today. And it came with the banks, and found that in the glove. I asked the dealer about it and asked if any of this was covered under warranty, and they had to go ask the manager, he came back and said yes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Banks Derringer "bypass plug" for dealer service 20230203_160104
IS that a Sarge diesel?

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Be wary. The "we'll cover it" assessment will likely change in a heartbeat once they see what they're dealing with when you come in for warranty service.

Follow-up question: Was his manager the service manager or the sales manager? I ask because sometimes new owners ask the sales department - they'll say yes to anything in a circumstance like that.

Deleted member 59498

Sounds like the device is worth it though if you want a little more power. Pedal monster made it feel much more responsive on its own so the whole kit sounds fun!

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
the CP4 High Pressure Fuel Pump recall?
that pump lives right on top of the engine; i can't see any way that cover is not coming off if the fix isn't just a software change.

...We'd still have to worry about physical detection of the cable if the engine cover was removed, but for some warranty items (fuel pump recall comes to mind) they wouldn't be working in the engine bay, let alone under the engine cover.
Sponsored