Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you by chance have a manual transmission? I ask because there were a few occasions where loud banging noises occurred while driving, and I seriously thought I was being shot at. This happened a couple of times, and let's just say that I was one of the lucky ones who qualified for the full clutch replacement during the first recall.

The noise was that of my clutch shattering/fragmenting and it sounded very much like what you're describing. Even though it was underneath the vehicle, the sound resonated to other locations. If you have an automatic, it's clearly something else, though I thought I'd share, just in case.

Good luck!

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Do you by chance have a manual transmission? I ask because there were a few occasions where loud banging noises occurred while driving, and I seriously thought I was being shot at. This happened a couple of times, and let's just say that I was one of the lucky ones who qualified for the full clutch replacement during the first recall.

The noise was that of my clutch shattering/fragmenting and it sounded very much like what you're describing. Even though it was underneath the vehicle, the sound resonated to other locations. If you have an automatic, it's clearly something else, though I thought I'd share, just in case.

Good luck!
Nope - automatic.

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Here’s another one that happened today… all of a sudden pulling into my driveway, every time I turn the wheel it sounds like there’s a pebble rolling around inside it. I readjust the steering wheel column real quick (in out up down, etc.) and now it’s gone.
Does the pebble rolling around sound like its behind the horn button? If so, I had the same thing and it happened to be a little broken tab from the brushed aluminum piece. That little piece would set off my horn when i was driving around. Hasn't done it since the piece fell out. Here's my post with pic.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/horn-going-off-by-itself.42446/

Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
While stopped at a light with freedom panels off (some trees overhead) a loud bang happened which sounded and felt like a brick hitting the hard top.

This is my 2nd mysterious sound. First was while driving topless. Sounded like it came from the front. But this time was much heavier and sounded like it came from above. No sign of damage anywhere.

I know this may have just been a rock or something else landing on the roof. But could it be something more serious? Is the hard top expanding or popping in the heat possibly?
Sure? 🤔

tumblr_oi3xq4iTok1qmob6ro2_400.gif

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the pebble rolling around sound like its behind the horn button? If so, I had the same thing and it happened to be a little broken tab from the brushed aluminum piece. That little piece would set off my horn when i was driving around. Hasn't done it since the piece fell out. Here's my post with pic.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/horn-going-off-by-itself.42446/
That’s so strange. It honestly sounded like it was IN the steering wheel (which I know isn’t possible).

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bump + a question/thought

I filled my gas tank minutes before this. And when I filled it, only a few gallons in, the pump stopped indicating tank was full but I knew it wasn’t. So I kept filling until I knew it was close to full. Could it be something with air entering with the gas somehow or related to the gas tank?

Sponsored

Dgr401

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S - Granite Crystal
Occupation
Retired
I'm also going with "acorns". I have had some hit the top of my hardtop roof while parked in my driveway and they are surprisingly loud.
I had left my Malibu at my nephew’s house while on an extended vacation. He parked it under an oak tree. When I got in it on our return there was a loud bang, sounded like a large rock. I saw an acorn come off the roof and on to the hood, it was very loud. $750 later at the dent shop and my Malibu looked good. They had to repair 87 dents.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
I've been hit in the head by a falling tree branch while driving a convertible. The Jeep hard top is just a giant hollow fiberglass thing. Anything that hits it sounds loud. I'd bet it was a big stick or a small branch

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are not like any other vehicle, they’re a living breathing organism with feelings. Did you mention angry grill, or 22” rims , maybe hanging large fuzzy dice from the mirror ? If it hears you, it has the capability to f...k with your head. So I’d be careful moving forward if I was you.........😉

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Bump + a question/thought

I filled my gas tank minutes before this. And when I filled it, only a few gallons in, the pump stopped indicating tank was full but I knew it wasn’t. So I kept filling until I knew it was close to full. Could it be something with air entering with the gas somehow or related to the gas tank?
that happends because of the cruddy fuel filling necks. Plus the pumps are pushing to much fuel into the tank causing backpressure anti spill off for the lock on mechanism. happens to every make and model car these days. my Pick up is a PIA most of the time to try and fill up

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, sometimes we want to overthink things, but we have to look at the obvious and rule out that before moving on. with the kind of trees out right now and the stuff falling, I would vote Acorn too.
Sponsored