Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
While stopped at a light with freedom panels off (some trees overhead) a loud bang happened which sounded and felt like a brick hitting the hard top.

This is my 2nd mysterious sound. First was while driving topless. Sounded like it came from the front. But this time was much heavier and sounded like it came from above. No sign of damage anywhere.

I know this may have just been a rock or something else landing on the roof. But could it be something more serious? Is the hard top expanding or popping in the heat possibly?
Sponsored

Fonzilla85

First Name
Fonz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Lawman
How hot are we talking about? Iā€™ve driven my rig thru 120 degree :whew: southwest heat, havenā€™t heard a thing from the hardtop.

millerjl

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I can tell you the trees I have around me and whatever falls from them hitting aluminum awnings was driving me nuts until I figured out what it was. Some sound like small rocks hitting but every once in a while it is enough to make you want to duck... former military.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you on aftermarket wheels and tires? I throw rocks on my own roof quite a bit because my tires stick out of the fender flares.
Stock. But I was standing still.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can tell you the trees I have around me and whatever falls from them hitting aluminum awnings was driving me nuts until I figured out what it was. Some sound like small rocks hitting but every once in a while it is enough to make you want to duck... former military.
This was LOUD. Made me think I would have been killed if it came through the open area.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

did you check your upper front bolts on the hard top? could have broken the top in that general area.... but i cannot say that fiberglass would be that loud if fracturing unless hit by something. you have my curiosity going crazy now lol

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did you check your upper front bolts on the hard top? could have broken the top in that general area.... but i cannot say that fiberglass would be that loud if fracturing unless hit by something. you have my curiosity going crazy now lol
Iā€™ll check. To see if itā€™s broken or they are loose?

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Iā€™ll check. To see if itā€™s broken or they are loose?
check for fiberglass cracking. also check near the rear hatch hinges ive heard of that area cracking for no reason

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Jeep Wrangler JL Bang like a Brick Landing on the Roof 244EFC5B-DFE0-48B0-AE7B-F3FFA395E504

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Did someone's car or motorcycle backfire? With the freedom panels off sound can be deceiving.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
check for fiberglass cracking. also check near the rear hatch hinges ive heard of that area cracking for no reason
Just checked and didnā€™t notice anything.

Iā€™ve got 1,000 miles on this Jeep. And I love it. But definitely a handful of tiny, strange inexplicable things that Iā€™ve never experienced with other vehicles.

Hereā€™s another one that happened todayā€¦ all of a sudden pulling into my driveway, every time I turn the wheel it sounds like thereā€™s a pebble rolling around inside it. I readjust the steering wheel column real quick (in out up down, etc.) and now itā€™s gone.
Sponsored