Sponsored

Ball joints came out! Is this an isolated case or a problem?

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
The FAD connects/disconnects the two piece axle on the passenger side. The one piece passenger side axle would eliminate the FAD functionality, hopefully providing better reliability. However, I think the real weakness of the JL axle is in the FAD housing and extra pieces required for the axle housing. It seems like the connect/disconnect mechanism is pretty solid.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Gas mileage, for one.

Theoretically, the one piece should be stronger than the two piece though if it's 300M and not merely 4340, then it's conceivable that the strength increase may not really matter, especially compared to stock.
It’s interesting how they developed the one piece. They are basically tricking the Jeep into thinking the 2 piece is installed. It appears you leave the FAD unit installed and connected. The Jeep will move the FAD fork when put into 4WD but no collar is installed.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
What does the FAD do actually? If the transfer case is in 2HI wouldnt the front axle be disconnected on a 4X4 anyway? Sorry to sound ignorant but my F150 has no FAD, etc.
@Sean K. is correct in all his points but maybe didn’t answer your question directly. I am going to assume that you don’t know the basics, so I apologize in advance if Sean’s answer was enough.
You say that if in 2H the front axle is disconnected why you need anything else. What happens is that in 2H the front axle is disconnected by disconnecting the front shaft at the transfer case. However, everything from there forward still connected in one system. So when the front tires turn, they move the front axles which move the front differential which moves the shaft. So even though is disconnected at the transfer case, all pieces are still rotating. To move all that mass requires work which translates in fuel consumption. The most effective way to eliminate that was with locking hubs on the front wheels, then the whole system was disconnected on both ends. The rest is well explained by @Sean K.

Last edited:

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
@Sean K. is correct in all his points but maybe didn’t answer your question directly. I am going to assume that you don’t know the basics, so I apologize in advance if Sean’s answer was enough.
You say that if in 2H the front axle is disconnected why you need anything else. What happens is that in 2H the front axle is disconnected by disconnecting the front shaft at the transfer case. However, everything from there forward still connected in one system. So when the front tires turn, they move the front axles which move the front differential which moves the shaft. So even though is disconnected at the transfer case, all pieces are still rotating. To move all that mass requires work which translates in fuel consumption. The most effective way to eliminate that was with locking hubs on the front wheels, then the whole system was disconnected on both ends. The rest is well explained by @Sean K.
i assume some of the complete axle replacements also have locking hubs. is there a locking hub conversion for the jl that just converts the hubs and can use the existing wheel bolt pattern? im curious about various aftermarket driveline solutions. i know there is a high end dana setup for around 18k but are there other solutions?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
i assume some of the complete axle replacements also have locking hubs. is there a locking hub conversion for the jl that just converts the hubs and can use the existing wheel bolt pattern? im curious about various aftermarket driveline solutions. i know there is a high end dana setup for around 18k but are there other solutions?
Several of the Wrangler pictures shared on this forum from SEMA show wheel locking hubs. So I’m sure the answer is yes.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I realize the dealer said it’s “bent”. But excuse me if I am a little skeptical. Experience and reading these forums for years has taught me that dealers are not always 100% correct . So did the OP buy a new axle what happened to the old axle ? this is the only bent axle that I’ve heard of and on a basically stock jeep and the dealer just happened to work on the wheel that fell off. Nope not buying it’s bent . I’m sticking to that until I see some tangible proof. Also if the axle housing was actually bent there’s companies that straighten and CHECK the housings for straightness like Dynatrac. Did this dealer have this housing professionally checked to make sure it’s straightness or did they just eyeball it ? If they just eyeballed it, a picture would for sure show how bad it was. A lot of this story about a bent axle does not make sense. And in the immortal words of Judge Judy if it doesn’t make sense it’s probably not true. LOL

Last edited:

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The axle HAS to be bent in order to support the dealers claim that the wheel fell off from extreme use and not from them Fing with it. ;)

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
I wish the OP would return and let us know the outcome and if a new axle was purchased or ?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Sounds like the dealer just wants to change a bunch of parts, to ensure he didnt miss something and he makes money coming and going.

My first thought was that the housing holes were out of spec and the balljoints were not tight enough. Being a machinist in a past life, I would check those bores for diameter and roundness.

jforse

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 XLT Sport, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
Aerospace Quality Engineer
Other than the ex-girlfriend, well put! LOL The funny thing about this ball joint/U joints/now bet housing two is beyond me with a vehicle as 4000 miles on it and has not done any any serious offering like you see on YouTube, Moab, Colorado, hell Big bear in California has some pretty rough train and I havent even had the opportunity to do any of this real wheeling. So my question is, how do you bend a Dana 44 steel tub housing with zero proof of any kind of IMPAC! There is no markings on the housing there’s no scrapes, dings or dents, not even on the rim of the wheel, perfectly round. Now I’m no mechanic but I do have common sense, and the impact was so severe to bend that Dana 44 housing tube, but no damage to any components other than my ball joints coming out and my axle ujoints breaking. By the way my vehicle has been there for two weeks and no one told me that I had a bent housing until yesterday. I had asked for a list of what parts that were being replaced as well. Oh by the way, full list price as well but one discount.

I saved the best for last. The dealership told me that the claim was denied yesterday because an engineer had looked at pictures they sent him, really, that’s how we determine a situation like this without visiting and actually ooking at the damage for yourself?

As you well know I have made multiple calls to Jeep, I have a case number and a person assigned to it her name is Cecelia, I even have Jeep cares involved. I have never even heard from this person and Jeep never called me and Jeep cares claims that they been in contact with this person and she was supposed to call me within 24 hours will only hold this was two days ago I’ve heard nothing from nobody.

This is the worst customer service I have ever been involved in in my entire life. It’s almost like you’re forced to lawyer up and get channel 4 news involved just to get any attention or to have someone who cares call you back!

I’m not going to commit to something that did not happen and that I did not do! The dealership also told me just turned into your insurance, really?

I’m going to the dealership tomorrow to actually look at what they are talking about, They did not ask me to come , I told them I was coming down.

Lastly, what’s really funny is that the dealership was the last want to work on that left front driver-side. Matter of fact they worked on it twice! The first technician took my whole front end apart including my driveshaft, upper control arm, etc. This was because of Mopar’s defective bowed springs problem on the Mopar 2” lift! After he finally figured out how to put the isolator in with everything apart they had to use a comm a long on my driver side wrapping it around that left side Axel housings to put things back into place. I asked them when I saw that, what the hell are you doing putting a come along around my axle and they said it’s no big deal they had to do that or get things back in place. Anyway, week later I took it back to the dealership A week later because the upper isolators We’re not in correctly and my upper control arm ball was not even typing it was finger loose rattlin we’re not incorrectly and my upper control arm ball was not even typing it was finger loose rattling. I took it back to them in shop foreman worked on my vehicle it was only supposed to be there an hour and a half dropped off at 9 AM I did not get back till 5 PM that day. Between the time that they worked on my vehicle and my vehicle been damaged from whatever other than me, It had less than 280 miles on it. Let’s be clear I’m not saying that this is dumb down however, it sure is funny that this all happened on my driver side. Maybe it’s a combination of Mopar in the dealership I don’t know if they can make a decision based on pictures, I guess I can make my decision based on common sense.

Jeep Cares, you asked me to let you know if my case manager did not contact me within 24 hours. I am letting you know as of today, this is day three since your PM, my case manager has ever called.
This sounds like grounds for a law suit to me.

Sponsored

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
I agree, its a story with no ending at this point!

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I was curious if there was any update.on this.
Sponsored