Sponsored

Ball joints came out! Is this an isolated case or a problem?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Hey

Great question,
I been talking with the guy every few days. He said the claim was rejected and sent him two repair options at his cost. They texted it to him vs a phone call. I guess it would take too much of their time to make a phone call, right?

The cost to repair is $8k range, I started laughing at this cost. It needs a axel u joint, clean up the treads on the ball joint a steering linkage, reseat the ball joints and alignment. The guy was going under 10 mph.
They have to provide a written response on why the warranty claim is denied. Short of airborning the Jeep at high speed I don’t see how that could be caused by the operator.
How long did it take between inspection and denied? Just wondering. I work on a related industry and a case like this would take time to deny. It would go to FCA who in turn would go to the Dana manufacturer who would study the case. Not a text.
This sht makes my blood boil. :angry:
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
First, let me say I’m not a mechanic.

Are those ball joints pressed into the C from the bottom?

When tightening the castle nuts, wouldn’t that try to pull the ball joint cap down out of the C?

I could see if the ball joint was inserted from the top of the C and possibly tapered that the castle nut would then capture the ball joint in the C/knuckle.

So I take it the ball joint is just a press fit into the C and relies on this press fit to keep it captured?

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Your experience makes a lot of sense. The u joint has to go first. The whole weight of the car is pushing the ball joints into place. The u joint breaks and pushes in the opposite direction lifting the car against the wheel hub assembly.
Being a devil’s advocate, the u joint didn’t fail there in flat ground going easy. It failed before and started falling apart until destruction. No chicken and egg here.
Still that doesn’t explain the reason for warranty claim denied.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
This is a good point. The only time I have seen BJ's do this was after the U-joint broke and wrecked shop. If for some reason the U-joint had started to fail without the driver noticing...it is very possible that is what destroyed the ball joints.

These U joints have C clips and if it for whatever reason came out it would only be a matter of time before the bearing cap works free and the U joint fails.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Tiguan SE
First, let me say I’m not a mechanic.

Are those ball joints pressed into the C from the bottom?

When tightening the castle nuts, wouldn’t that try to pull the ball joint cap down out of the C?

I could see if the ball joint was inserted from the top of the C and possibly tapered that the castle nut would then capture the ball joint in the C/knuckle.

So I take it the ball joint is just a press fit into the C and relies on this press fit to keep it captured?
Hi everyone, I appreciate all the input! Just like you, I cannot figure out what the hell happened. I am the owner of this jeep ( my first one) however, I have had four wheel drives all my life. I only have 4456 miles on the Jeep and is by no means abused. I’ve never seen ball joints come out, ever. When I was there last Monday the shop foreman even stated that he had never seen I heard a ball joint coming out! I sent the dealer 10+ pictures 2 days later (when I was there they said they did not need them) so this could help someone understand what happened. But what is really funny is the guy called me two days later and was trying to give me prices as if I was going to pay for it. When I was there I told him this is a warranty issue. The service guy text me this morning to tell me that it was not covered under warranty, by the way, he did not attempt to call me. I called him and he could not give me an explanation as to why. I asked him to send me what they sent to FCA. Bottom line is there is no damage to my rim, which means I did not hit anything at low or high impac. I believe the ball joints came out broke the u-joint which cut into my inner tire. I’m kind of dumbfounded because you u-join is made to break so nothing else will break, is this not correct? Let’s make this a worst-case scenario, and say the u-joint breaks how the hell does that make the ball joints come out? So I’ve called FAC had to file a claim.
I told the lady on the phone at FAC “Ana” I hope somebody calls me back, I have a 54,000 JLUR just setting at a dealership.
Really frustrated right now.

46FBC2D9-23A7-4428-B90F-06B49D049430.jpeg

E3A5EBB1-270B-4968-BE7B-86C8179C3722.jpeg

A0B72308-B80B-4787-891B-670F69FF051D.jpeg

01482FC2-E5A3-47F6-8616-692C8E70C5C7.jpeg

Sponsored

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
The u joint is not a fuse.
It is not made to protect the axle. It provides a angular component to provide torque in a angular direction

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Is this the shopping center On lapaz behind Costco and Home Depot?
If so we are really close. I know the turtle click sales manager on the personal level if you want we can go talk to him
Hi everyone, I appreciate all the input! Just like you, I cannot figure out what the hell happened. I am the owner of this jeep ( my first one) however, I have had four wheel drives all my life. I only have 4456 miles on the Jeep and is by no means abused. I’ve never seen ball joints come out, ever. When I was there last Monday the shop foreman even stated that he had never seen I heard a ball joint coming out! I sent the dealer 10+ pictures 2 days later (when I was there they said they did not need them) so this could help someone understand what happened. But what is really funny is the guy called me two days later and was trying to give me prices as if I was going to pay for it. When I was there I told him this is a warranty issue. The service guy text me this morning to tell me that it was not covered under warranty, by the way, he did not attempt to call me. I called him and he could not give me an explanation as to why. I asked him to send me what they sent to FCA. Bottom line is there is no damage to my rim, which means I did not hit anything at low or high impac. I believe the ball joints came out broke the u-joint which cut into my inner tire. I’m kind of dumbfounded because you u-join is made to break so nothing else will break, is this not correct? Let’s make this a worst-case scenario, and say the u-joint breaks how the hell does that make the ball joints come out? So I’ve called FAC had to file a claim.
I told the lady on the phone at FAC “Ana” I hope somebody calls me back, I have a 54,000 JLUR just setting at a dealership.
Really frustrated right now.

46FBC2D9-23A7-4428-B90F-06B49D049430.jpeg

E3A5EBB1-270B-4968-BE7B-86C8179C3722.jpeg

A0B72308-B80B-4787-891B-670F69FF051D.jpeg

01482FC2-E5A3-47F6-8616-692C8E70C5C7.jpeg

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The u joint is not a fuse.
It is not made to protect the axle. It provides a angular component to provide torque in a angular direction
That was my whole point! It’s there for a reason to protected other components. So how is it that ball joints come out if that breaks, doesn’t make sense.

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is this the shopping center On lapaz behind Costco and Home Depot?
If so we are really close. I know the turtle click sales manager on the personal level if you want we can go talk to him
No. I live in Yorba Linda, lol

Sponsored

Teghogh

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jl sport
Don’t know if that would make a big difference or not talking to a sales manager, but you have my story if you want to shoot it by him and let me know.
They will not comment unless your car is there or they know your claim number

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
I would let @JeepCares know about this. If this was caused by improper usage,abuse, or an accident involving an impact then it would not be covered under warranty. If this just happened while driving slowly on a dirt trail as you described, then this was something that was going to happen anyway...luckilly not on the highway.

The only real way I could see the claim being denied is if the lift kit was found to be improperly installed. Was any further reasoning explained?

ocrejects

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It doesn't have to be the ujoint breaking first. If you'll look at one of the disassembly pics...it appears that the lower ball joint has pulled out of it's cup. If that happened first....and it does....then the axle could have bound and broken as the knuckle misaligned.
That’s exactly what I’m talking about, and you are correct. This is what I believe happened. The ball joints came out and put pressure on the axle and snapped the u-joints.
Thanks for your information.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t.../154-1304-fixing-a-broken-axleshaft-what-now/

Here is a Quote from this article.
"If you try the obstacle again and one of your front axle U-joints is broken, the two axleshafts will push past one another and pop the ball joints out of the inner knuckle. If this happens your wheel will fall off and you will need a new U-joint, new axleshafts, new upper and lower ball joints, possibly a new knuckle, and probably even a new brake line. Guess what? Putting new ball joints in requires a special tool that even the most prepared wheelers usually don’t carry on the trail"

A broken U joint can definitely cause ball joint failure. Not saying that is 100% what happened to yours but it has happened to many others.
Sponsored