Sponsored

Ball joint stress, or is this normal?

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL SportS
2019 JL Sport. I’ve just completed a rubicon axle swap and went back together with Rusty’s Offroad Tie Rod, Drag Link, and track bars.

Everything looks/fits great, with the exception of the drag link ball joint on the pittman arm side. No matter how I adjust the drag link (centering the ball joint), after driving it moves off center.

On the stock drag link, the ball joint appeared to be centered and didn’t turn to this side. As I’m a newbie to steering components, I’m just curious if this is normal.

976B122C-8A8A-48B2-9186-1149794B57C4.jpeg
8359E3F0-978A-4029-983B-0085C004264B.jpeg
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Im pretty sure those dont have anti flop features so they just rotate like that, its not a big deal unless they are twisting opposite directions

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Im pretty sure those dont have anti flop features so they just rotate like that, its not a big deal unless they are twisting opposite directions
Must be a Rustys thing, not the first one I’ve seen, my ocd would never shut up, lol.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
hard to tell from the picture, but what is the angle on the knuckle side?

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
After driving you should still be able to move it back to 'level', make sure its can move and both ends are the level when you move it back to level, make both ends the same and be sure that it doesnt bind after driving. I would get an alignment if you did it yourself.

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL SportS
I appreciate the replies!

hard to tell from the picture, but what is the angle on the knuckle side?
Right now it matches the same angle as the pittman arm side. That being said, I previously had it adjusted where the knuckle side was level, but the pittman arm side had returned to the pictured angle.

After driving you should still be able to move it back to 'level', make sure its can move and both ends are the level when you move it back to level, make both ends the same and be sure that it doesnt bind after driving. I would get an alignment if you did it yourself.
Both joints match, and don’t bind after being driven. I’m on a diy alignment but have an appointment for a real alignment this week.

I’m just guessing the curved shape of the drag link’s knuckle side ball joint toward the front of the vehicle combined with its heavy weight (compared to stock) are what is causing it to droop forward.

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
While I have not see drag links with this much slop before (this loose), as long as the angle of the 2 ends match, I would guess you will be OK.

Can you have someone turn the steering wheel lock to lock, while you feel the joint at the pitman arm to see if it is moving at all? (check to see if maybe the joint is bad)

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
on the drag link this is fine as long as the knuckle side is rotated in the same way, obviously make sure the tierod end and properly torqued and seated, also there should be no loose play when you turn the wheel side to side. rolling of the tie front to back is ok it will freely move around as you are driving and will position itself as the suspension travels and the wheels turn

Jitzy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys
Occupation
Retired Police, Now Certified Custom Club Fitter
I have the same one and mine does it too. Put thousands of miles on it without issue including lots of off-road
Sponsored