Ball joint delete

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I seen those a few months back. The one thing I question is Jeep actually designed the JL ball joints to carry the load equally, that’s why they went to the sleeve in the upper. The TJ and JK joints all had an upper joint that was telescopic to make up for the difference in the taper in the spindle. You can’t machine them to exact heights. So in the JK/TJ the lower ball joint 100% carries all the load.

On the JL the upper and lower split the load 50/50 that’s 100% why they have both joints pressed in from the bottom. The weight of the vehicle will push them into the seat.

These the upper presses in from the top and both join Still split the load. Technically every time you hit a pothole the upper is getting pushed out.
I emailed the company a few months back and even commented on their Facebook page asking about this and I never received any reply. 🤔

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I seen those a few months back. The one thing I question is Jeep actually designed the JL ball joints to carry the load equally, that’s why they went to the sleeve in the upper. The TJ and JK joints all had an upper joint that was telescopic to make up for the difference in the taper in the spindle. You can’t machine them to exact heights. So in the JK/TJ the lower ball joint 100% carries all the load.

On the JL the upper and lower split the load 50/50 that’s 100% why they have both joints pressed in from the bottom. The weight of the vehicle will push them into the seat.

These the upper presses in from the top and both join Still split the load. Technically every time you hit a pothole the upper is getting pushed out.
I emailed the company a few months back and even commented on their Facebook page asking about this and I never received any reply. 🤔
Good to know and definitely makes sense lol, i didnt really research any into it, but i get what you mean, wouldnt be too hard on that aluminum to pop it out as easy as that shit wallows lol

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The issue is the JL is a shit design with both pushed in from the bottom (same side).

If you break a front U joint or CV and it whacks the knuckle hard enough it can knock both ball joints out because of this. So now you are on the trail with the knuckle no longer in the vehicle so can't even tow it out :mad: which is not much fun.

These things install from opposing sides; which is proper engineering; so a whack can not pull the ball joints out -- but could still break a knuckle if the factory ones -- not likely to break a Reid.

As for the top being pushed out - not likely as the bottom is keeping the knuckle from moving up as they spread the load.

The better solution would be the top bearing to be bottom loaded, and bottom bearing to be top loaded, but this would mean a real kingpin setup which we don't have the space to do in a D44 -- but would ensure nothing is going anywhere unless you break the "C"

Sponsored

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S

cs2k

First Name
Clarence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0
Occupation
Engineer
This seems very similar to the dynatrac system. Both replace the classic ball joint with a circular bearing/heim joint.

They are just marketed differently. American Iron off road calls it a "ball joint delete" while Dynatrac calls it "HD Ball joint".

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
They call it a delete as it's not ball joints but heim bearings to get the little bit of misalignment needed.

Dynatrac is the same sort of concept - but both load from the bottom still. But uses heim bearings as well.

I don't call them heim joints as that denotes a rod end; and these are just the bearing part.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ball joint delete 1638132212808

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Dynatrac used a heim, pretty sure the deletes use a sealed bearing. It only rotates it doesn’t pivot like a heim. That’s why Dynatrac still uses a dust boot and a zerk for grease, the deletes are not greasable

Bullwinkle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
They call it a delete as it's not ball joints but heim bearings to get the little bit of misalignment needed.

Dynatrac is the same sort of concept - but both load from the bottom still. But uses heim bearings as well.

I don't call them heim joints as that denotes a rod end; and these are just the bearing part.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ball joint delete 1638132212808

appreciated

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Dynatrac used a heim, pretty sure the deletes use a sealed bearing. It only rotates it doesn’t pivot like a heim. That’s why Dynatrac still uses a dust boot and a zerk for grease, the deletes are not greasable
The American Iron page specifically mentions teflon lined bearing which is a spherical/heim specification and "F1 Fit" which is another spherical/heim bearing specification for a very tight fit - one that needs mechanical assistance to rotate the ball.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
The issue is the JL is a shit design with both pushed in from the bottom (same side).

If you break a front U joint or CV and it whacks the knuckle hard enough it can knock both ball joints out because of this. So now you are on the trail with the knuckle no longer in the vehicle so can't even tow it out :mad: which is not much fun.

These things install from opposing sides; which is proper engineering; so a whack can not pull the ball joints out -- but could still break a knuckle if the factory ones -- not likely to break a Reid.

As for the top being pushed out - not likely as the bottom is keeping the knuckle from moving up as they spread the load.

The better solution would be the top bearing to be bottom loaded, and bottom bearing to be top loaded, but this would mean a real kingpin setup which we don't have the space to do in a D44 -- but would ensure nothing is going anywhere unless you break the "C"
Is that a real scenario though? I guess the better question would be has that actually happened? I can imagine that it's a theoretical possibility. It seems to me that there's not enough room in the tube for the axle to move far enough to do what you describe if a joint were to catastrophically fail.

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Is that a real scenario though? I guess the better question would be has that actually happened? I can imagine that it's a theoretical possibility. It seems to me that there's not enough room in the tube for the axle to move far enough to do what you describe if a joint were to catastrophically fail.
It has happened before, someone had pictures of a jl somewhere that did it

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
It sure does happen! I've seen it once but many others have as well.

It doesn't take much to whack those two ball joints out

OP
OP
Moto_21

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
It sure does happen! I've seen it once but many others have as well.

It doesn't take much to whack those two ball joints out
No it does not…i managed to get them both to pop out without the press…didnt pop off the knuckles they just pulled right out the housing 😂
Sponsored