Sponsored

Balanced Rim/Wheel/Lift Upgrade Combination?

CJJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
!986 CJ7 & 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
I've got a 2021 Rubicon with basically every option that was available. It's a daily driver that I take off-roading about once a month in AZ. I'd like to put on some bigger tires/rims and possibly do a small lift. I have a couple of buddies who recently went to 21" rims, 37" tires and a 2.5" lift. They love it for off-road but said they lost a lot on the highway ride. What I'm looking for is some thoughts on the perfect combination of rim/tires/lift to maximize improvement for off-roading, while minimizing the loss on the on-road side of things. Thanks for any insight you can share.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
CJJL

CJJL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
!986 CJ7 & 2020 Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
IMO, 35's and a 2" lift. Who's tires/wheels and lift is up to you.
Thanks, for the reply. Does rim size or tire width affect things one way or another?

JeepersCreepers2

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I tend to agree with sourdough above. 35's and a 2 inch lift (which might net you up to 3 inches) is a good balance for offroad and highway driving. As far as rim size, the more rubber you have the better ride you are going to get. Many people on this forum choose 17 inch rims for this reason. You also generally have a few more choices in tires. That being said, many have larger tires and wheels and do just fine but may spend more time offroad than on.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Thanks, for the reply. Does rim size or tire width affect things one way or another?
I think the width has the biggest impact on fender clearance. With a Rubicon, you might be ok. I’m figuring out a similar combo. I’m between 37’s on a 2.5” lift and 39/40’s on a 3.5” lift. Mine is not a DD, I only commute with it in precipitation or sub-40 temps. As said earlier, smaller diameter rims gives more tire flexibility. Larger diameter rims would decrease your air down/up time though.

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
The most common basic setup, from what I've seen, is 2.5" (3.5 for heavier jeeps w/ bumpers/winch/etc..), 35's and 17" wheels.

Now in terms of specifics, Teraflex/icon/fox/jks/rockkrawler has been the most common shocks/kits I've seen on set-ups. For wheels method/black rhino/kmc have been to go to's. Tires will vary but KO2 is good on-road and casual wheeling. mickey thompson deegan38 and baja series have been great for a lot of people for wheeling and some road. Cooper stt pros have treated a lot of people well too.

stevieb92

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon 2.0t
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
On my 2020 Rubicon, I cobbled together my own lift kit. I went with Rusty's Off Road 2 inch springs, Falcon SP2 3.3 fast adjust shocks, Fuel Vector wheels (17x9) with BFG KO2 315/70R17 Load C and Rock Krawler adjustable control arms and adjustable track bars. The ride is very good and just like stock. Tire Pressure set to 30-32 cold.
Jeep Wrangler JL Balanced Rim/Wheel/Lift Upgrade Combination? Rubicon_lifted_08
Sponsored