Baja Designs SAE squadron fog problems

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I installed these on a 2021 JL to replace the factory led fog lights. When I on turn the fog lights (from factory switch) they both come on but one side will turn off after a second. I have checked and there isn’t a short or loose wire. It is like there is to much draw and a fuse will trip.(which will reset on its own)They were installed to the factory fog light plug which has three wires. A black(ground) and two hots. I did not use the factory bumper harness but used part of the huge harness that comes from Baja Designs . Any of you run into the same issue? Thanks.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I installed these on a 2021 JL to replace the factory led fog lights. When I on turn the fog lights (from factory switch) they both come on but one side will turn off after a second. I have checked and there isn’t a short or loose wire. It is like there is to much draw and a fuse will trip.(which will reset on its own)They were installed to the factory fog light plug which has three wires. A black(ground) and two hots. I did not use the factory bumper harness but used part of the huge harness that comes from Baja Designs . Any of you run into the same issue? Thanks.
Sounds like the driver for the LED is bad. You'll probably need to get the light replaced.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My Sports work great from day one and I hope it stays that way. I used the supplied wiring to plug into the factory wiring harness to utilize the fog lamp switch like you. I started with halogen fogs though fwiw.

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
So I pulled out the 12volt test light and tested the factory plug (where the bumper harness plugs into)and the left side hot does go out when both fog lights are plugged in. Why is the Jeep turning the left side off and then resetting it?

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hello,

This is a fairly common problem stemming from the factory electrical system used by Jeep. The CAN bus electrical system is designed to intelligently keep power to all your electrical accessories, however it can often cause trouble with aftermarket add-ons. More often than not, it does not cause issue when using our plug and play connectors (or custom modifications like you have made), but some do have trouble.

Many people rectify this by simply having their dealer flash the ECU to support LED lights. It is a simple fix that works for most. If you are nearby to your local dealer and they don't try to squeeze a charge out of you, I highly recommend giving this a shot.

If that is for some reason unsuccessful, we make an anti flicker harness that will 100% resolve this issue. It provides a relayed connection to the battery, bypassing the CAN bus system, but retaining the factory fog switch operation.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Anti-Flicker-2-pin-Wiring-Harness.asp

If you need any additional support on this, please feel free to reach out.

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I swapped in factory LED fogs in my for my halogen and had to get it flashed, they flicker a bit otherwise. 3rd party programmers such as JScan or Tazer can solve this too if your dealer quotes you high on it. I had them flash my fogs and aux switches at the same time and they charged $70+tax which was fair by me since I don't want to mess with a programmer until warranty expires.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hello,

This is a fairly common problem stemming from the factory electrical system used by Jeep. The CAN bus electrical system is designed to intelligently keep power to all your electrical accessories, however it can often cause trouble with aftermarket add-ons. More often than not, it does not cause issue when using our plug and play connectors (or custom modifications like you have made), but some do have trouble.

Many people rectify this by simply having their dealer flash the ECU to support LED lights. It is a simple fix that works for most. If you are nearby to your local dealer and they don't try to squeeze a charge out of you, I highly recommend giving this a shot.

If that is for some reason unsuccessful, we make an anti flicker harness that will 100% resolve this issue. It provides a relayed connection to the battery, bypassing the CAN bus system, but retaining the factory fog switch operation.

I will note that I am note sure how the factory system will react to your wiring setup as you are only pulling power from one side of the fog lights. It may still trip up the CANbus system.

I'd suggest adjusting the custom wiring so that each fog light is connected to each factory fog plug. You can also give us a call to order the Baja Designs plug and play wiring.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I will note that I am note sure how the factory system will react to your wiring setup as you are only pulling power from one side of the fog lights. It may still trip up the CANbus system.

I'd suggest adjusting the custom wiring so that each fog light is connected to each factory fog plug. You can also give us a call to order the Baja Designs plug and play wiring.
That’s what I did. Best $15 each spent.

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Hello,

Thanks for replying back to this question so fast. It really shows your customer support. The factory fog lights that I removed were LED. Do I still have to flash the ECU?
Also, the custom wiring harness is identical to the factory harness. The factory plug has two hot (orange and yellow) for each fog light and one common ground that both lights share.
I do feel that one of the Baja lights has a driver problem. (I will call this the left side) I can run the right side baja light with left side factory light with no problems, but as soon as I plug the Baja light in the left side it comes on and the computer turns in off.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Thanks for replying back to this question so fast. It really shows your customer support. The factory fog lights that I removed were LED. Do I still have to flash the ECU?
Also, the custom wiring harness is identical to the factory harness. The factory plug has two hot (orange and yellow) for each fog light and one common ground that both lights share.
I do feel that one of the Baja lights has a driver problem. (I will call this the left side) I can run the right side baja light with left side factory light with no problems, but as soon as I plug the Baja light in the left side it comes on and the computer turns in off.
Ok great. As long as the wiring has the same configuaration as stock then I am not as concerned about that.

I believe I have seen some people switch the ECU to halogen in order to get the flash to work, but let's rule out the light being defective first.

If you think it is an internal issue with the light, the best test would be to connect it to a 12v power source. Do you have any wiring that would allow you to connect directly to the battery?

OP
OP
SCOverlander

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
I did hook the light directly to the battery and it works fine. The issue is the jeeps computer doesn’t like this light. It doesn’t matter if it is on the left or right side, the computer will turn that 12v circuit off (left or right)and I have to turn the Jeep off and back on to reset that circuit.