Sponsored

Baja Designs ONx6+ is a work of art (minus getting it issues)

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m looking at this same light & want to wire to the aux switch as well. How did you end up wiring it? I see the harness has a high/low option. I’d likely never use low.
See my post 14 above.
Sponsored

bam9382

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I wrote to BD the other day to ask about the wiring harness. I only want to connect to my factory aux switches and the recommended harness has a switch and dimmer that I don’t want. Here is the email that I received back.....

“Since the Jeep has everything all setup for accessories, you don’t need a harness with a relay. I would recommend using this harness. This harness has a 3 pin connector from the Onx6+ and runs about 5’ of lead to the back of the fire wall where the connection is made to the factory switch harness.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/ford-upfitter-wiring-harness-onx6-s8.asp.....”

makes sense to me.
So you are using this ford part? Connecting the connector from ONX6 to this harness then the wires coming out to the factory AUX switch wires the engine bay? How do you know what mode the ONX6 is on? Is it default to low or high? Do you have the ability to ever change that?

Thanks!

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
So you are using this ford part? Connecting the connector from ONX6 to this harness then the wires coming out to the factory AUX switch wires the engine bay? How do you know what mode the ONX6 is on? Is it default to low or high? Do you have the ability to ever change that?

Thanks!
I am NOT using that harness yet. I am only sending you the info that BD sent me. That harness is essential nothing but 5’ wires and I can only assume that the lightbar will be on high at all times. That is fine with me.

BD customer service is great and I am sure that they could answer your question. Let me know what you find out....;

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Finally rcvd the ONx 6+ and it is simply phenomenal. Looks great, super bright.

I have it hooked up to the Aux1 switch (had to install those also) and will probably put another on the same circuit.

Hopefully the ordering issues were just growing pains and Holiday backlog.

The product is super high quality and i am glad i ordered.

DB 2018 JLU-R

IMG_7444.JPG

IMG_7443.JPG
Is that the laser light?

Looks great!!

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
I’m wanting the Racer Edition of the OnX6, and if using the Ford harness would default the light to be on high all the time would be fine by me also. I have the aux switches from factory also. I’ll ask BD what harness I need when I place my order.

Sponsored

caleb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Something else to note that I haven't seen mentioned is that the OnX6+ lightbar does come with an extra weatherpak connector and all grommets, pins, etc so you could very easily make your own "harness" if you wanted to.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I'm planning on adding this bar soon and have already pre-wired for it based upon info I got while talking to the BD guys. It uses a 3-wire system. One wire is power, one is ground, and the third wire is a secondary ground circuit that gets opened/closed to alternate between high/low. If you don't use that third wire, the secondary ground circuit is essentially left permanently open which causes the bar to stay in high mode. You have to get a little creative because switch pods (whether factory AUX or aftermarket pod) are designed to switch power, not ground.

IMG_0521.jpg

The first relay is controlled by my pod and it switches the secondary ground circuit. The second relay is tapped into my high beams for a power cut-out. Full disclosure, I don't have an OnX6+ hooked up to this wiring yet, so I can't 100% confirm my intel is good... lol

jigamanz

First Name
Jeegs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Jeep JLUR, 14' Mazda 3 Sport GT, 09' Acura RDX
Just wondering how much heat this light bar produces? Does it keep off snow/ice? I want to get the light bar or some lp6s and I've heard the lp6 pros generate enough heat to keep snow and ice off

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Just wondering how much heat this light bar produces? Does it keep off snow/ice? I want to get the light bar or some lp6s and I've heard the lp6 pros generate enough heat to keep snow and ice off
The Onx6+ and LP6 are pretty powerful lights, so they do give off a decent amount of heat. We've had good reports of people using it in snow without build up issues.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
This is the only thread I've found mentioning BD's upfitter harness and it sounds like people on this thread have experience using it so I'm hoping someone can help me. I would wait and call BD but I would like to take advantage of the Labor day sales.

Can anyone expand on the description of the Upfitter Harness (640094). There is very little information on the BD website. Is it long enough for a roof rack install? The pictures on the website make it look like a short harness and there are no specifications.

From what I've read here it seems like the upfitter harness would be used in place of wire harness 640122 if wiring to Aux switches or a switch panel such as Switch-Pro. I'm about to purchase a few lights one of which being an S8 light bar (similar/same wiring as ONx6) which I'm planning to install on a rhino platform and control with a Switch-pro SP-9100. I just want to ensure I'm ordering the correct harness.

Anyone have input on wiring this to a SP-9100? Is there an easy way to connect the third wire for the backlight?

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
This is the only thread I've found mentioning BD's upfitter harness and it sounds like people on this thread have experience using it so I'm hoping someone can help me. I would wait and call BD but I would like to take advantage of the Labor day sales.

Can anyone expand on the description of the Upfitter Harness (640094). There is very little information on the BD website. Is it long enough for a roof rack install? The pictures on the website make it look like a short harness and there are no specifications.

From what I've read here it seems like the upfitter harness would be used in place of wire harness 640122 if wiring to Aux switches or a switch panel such as Switch-Pro. I'm about to purchase a few lights one of which being an S8 light bar (similar/same wiring as ONx6) which I'm planning to install on a rhino platform and control with a Switch-pro SP-9100. I just want to ensure I'm ordering the correct harness.

Anyone have input on wiring this to a SP-9100? Is there an easy way to connect the third wire for the backlight?
Tying in from your other post,

That harness is 7 ft in length. I couldn't say that this would be long for a roof rack install. But I would use a piece of string and run it to where you need it on your vehicle and see if 7 ft would be enough.

This harness would be used if you had factory aux switches or an aftermarket switch panel such as a Switch-Pros or sPod. Since these applications have everything built in as far as the switch, relay, and fuse, you just need to run a power and ground from the accessory. That's what the upfitter harness accomplishes, a 7 ft run of lead and the connector. Just keep in mind the amperage of each accessory for the switch you select.

Here's the data sheet for the S8 that has the amperage information.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/images/S8 Data Sheet.pdf

For the amber back light, the green wire is what controls it and you can put this on a second switch or a 12v+ switched power source with a tap in or add-a-fuse. Keep in mind, the upfitter harness has the green wire with no connector (just the wire end).

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Tying in from your other post,

That harness is 7 ft in length. I couldn't say that this would be long for a roof rack install. But I would use a piece of string and run it to where you need it on your vehicle and see if 7 ft would be enough.

This harness would be used if you had factory aux switches or an aftermarket switch panel such as a Switch-Pros or sPod. Since these applications have everything built in as far as the switch, relay, and fuse, you just need to run a power and ground from the accessory. That's what the upfitter harness accomplishes, a 7 ft run of lead and the connector. Just keep in mind the amperage of each accessory for the switch you select.

Here's the data sheet for the S8 that has the amperage information.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/images/S8 Data Sheet.pdf

For the amber back light, the green wire is what controls it and you can put this on a second switch or a 12v+ switched power source with a tap in or add-a-fuse. Keep in mind, the upfitter harness has the green wire with no connector (just the wire end).
Thanks again!!

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I'm planning on adding this bar soon and have already pre-wired for it based upon info I got while talking to the BD guys. It uses a 3-wire system. One wire is power, one is ground, and the third wire is a secondary ground circuit that gets opened/closed to alternate between high/low. If you don't use that third wire, the secondary ground circuit is essentially left permanently open which causes the bar to stay in high mode. You have to get a little creative because switch pods (whether factory AUX or aftermarket pod) are designed to switch power, not ground.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs ONx6+ is a work of art (minus getting it issues) IMG_0521

The first relay is controlled by my pod and it switches the secondary ground circuit. The second relay is tapped into my high beams for a power cut-out. Full disclosure, I don't have an OnX6+ hooked up to this wiring yet, so I can't 100% confirm my intel is good... lol
I can now officially confirm that this info is good. Got my 20” OnX6+ installed on my front bumper today. It switches from low to high when the 3rd wire is un-grounded. My high beam cut-out also works as intended. I will say however, there is not a huge difference between the low and high positions. I think Baja Designs states it’s a 75% / 100% switch, which probably seems about right.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs ONx6+ is a work of art (minus getting it issues) 8F2D6D8E-1E25-444F-AC27-FA0B587FEF5D

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs ONx6+ is a work of art (minus getting it issues) 8F389055-79D8-4BA6-9A3C-CBA78438B0F9
Sponsored