Sponsored

Baja Designs LP6 wiring HELP needed (Mental Block)

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Ok I finally got my LP6's after 5 months of waiting and $1000 later. Now I open the boxes and realize that I can't simply use a single hot lead to one of the OEM switches and tap the DLR for the backlight and be done.

I didn't get any harness with them, but for some reason I bought 2 64-0177 s8 backlit Addon wiring harness. So now I'm really scratching my head.

Do I need a harness to us the OEM switch in the dash? I only want HIGH and backlit, will the OEM Switch handle it?

Any recommendations or ways to go? I have mental block for some reason on these it's driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Last edited:

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392, CJ7 6.6L, Fusion Trophy Truck
Aux. switch #1 or #2 will handle the current draw (Amps) of the LP6's.
Hook up the lights as below:
Pin 1. (low beam) leave disconnected.
Pin 2. (Ground) hook it to chassis ground or battery Negative.
Pin 3. (Amber Back Light) tap into either driver or passenger front side marker lights.
Pin 4. (high beam) Hook this to either #1 or #2 aux switch leads to provide +12 volt power to the lights.

BajaDesigns should have provided a 4 pin female Deutch connector with pins with each LP6 light.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

I just installed the LP9's last weekend. Amber backlight w drivers side side marker, lows on aux1 and highs on aux2 of factory aux panel. Works perfect. I do have many feet of excess I need to cut and butt splice together. Currently shoved between battery and fender.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't put power to Pins 1 (low beam) and pin 4 (hi-beam) at the same time....Or your light's circuit board will go up in smoke.

OP
OP
Ct_Formula

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Aux. switch #1 or #2 will handle the current draw (Amps) of the LP6's.
Hook up the lights as below:
Pin 1. (low beam) leave disconnected.
Pin 2. (Ground) hook it to chassis ground or battery Negative.
Pin 3. (Amber Back Light) tap into either driver or passenger front side marker lights.
Pin 4. (high beam) Hook this to either #1 or #2 aux switch leads to provide +12 volt power to the lights.

BajaDesigns should have provided a 4 pin female Deutch connector with pins with each LP6 light.
Beech, thanks big time. Worked like a charm!!! These things are crazy

Sponsored

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Not sure why everyone is not connecting the low beams. They aren't just a weaker version of the high beams. I find the lows are more of a flood with a wide arc of light (still bright) whereas the high beams are a very intense spot beam. In the midwest I'd likely use the low more than the high.

And correct, don't use both at the same time - although I believe the wiring harness has a measure of protection to prevent frying your circuit board. I'm not going to test it out...

OP
OP
Ct_Formula

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Not sure why everyone is not connecting the low beams. They aren't just a weaker version of the high beams. I find the lows are more of a flood with a wide arc of light (still bright) whereas the high beams are a very intense spot beam. In the midwest I'd likely use the low more than the high.

And correct, don't use both at the same time - although I believe the wiring harness has a measure of protection to prevent frying your circuit board. I'm not going to test it out...
Yeah I only need them on all or nothing. I'm only going to use the 4 OEM switches in my build so I have to preserve the other 3 for other lights.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

I use my lows mostly and rarely use the highs. In the PNW you don't get those long open terrian you get in the desert climates. It is very rare to need that length of light cast and if you have too much light shining into the trees/bushes then it shines back at you and blinds you, especially when it is wet out. The lows are great and very effective .

OP
OP
Ct_Formula

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Yeah I'm all amber, I can't use the clear around my neck of the woods as much. And I really like the fact that that there is less bounce back in rain fog and snow with amber

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Is that how they work? I'm gonna have to ask my guy and see if he knows. That's the first I've heard/read anybody describe the difference between the BD lows and highs like that.

I just had my first chance to see what this 20" onx6 looks like and all I could tell is that it was a little less strong on low. The snow was coming down pretty good so all the reflections didn't help in trying to see what the output was like.

I use my lows mostly and rarely use the highs. In the PNW you don't get those long open terrian you get in the desert climates. It is very rare to need that length of light cast and if you have too much light shining into the trees/bushes then it shines back at you and blinds you, especially when it is wet out. The lows are great and very effective .
You need to head over the mountains and check out the dry side some time. It may not be the flat lands, but there are plenty of wide open stretches. I'm just saying the entirety of the PNW is not the coast to the Cascades.

Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
you can buy something like this to tap into factory wiring without cutting to use the back light. Aux 1 is enough for your high beam draw. also you can buy those Deutsch Connector and crimper on Amazon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 wiring HELP needed (Mental Block) Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 11.25.07 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 wiring HELP needed (Mental Block) WechatIMG307

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Is that how they work? I'm gonna have to ask my guy and see if he knows. That's the first I've heard/read anybody describe the difference between the BD lows and highs like that.

I just had my first chance to see what this 20" onx6 looks like and all I could tell is that it was a little less strong on low. The snow was coming down pretty good so all the reflections didn't help in trying to see what the output was like.

You need to head over the mountains and check out the dry side some time. It may not be the flat lands, but there are plenty of wide open stretches. I'm just saying the entirety of the PNW is not the coast to the Cascades.
At least on the LP9 Pros. I'll take pictures this weekend facing the lights and from the drivers seat so you can see.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

you can buy something like this to tap into factory wiring without cutting to use the back light. Aux 1 is enough for your high beam draw. also you can buy those Deutsch Connector and crimper on Amazon.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 wiring HELP needed (Mental Block) WechatIMG307

The BD wiring harness came with an inline splice for that worked perfect with the drivers side marker light.

I did have several feet of excess wiring. I bundled and tucked away between battery and fender. I'd like to clean it up. Did others cut out a section and splice together as well? What kind of splice did you use?

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
The BD wiring harness came with an inline splice for that worked perfect with the drivers side marker light.

I did have several feet of excess wiring. I bundled and tucked away between battery and fender. I'd like to clean it up. Did others cut out a section and splice together as well? What kind of splice did you use?
I made my own wiring, the wiring hardness bd has is wonderful but I’m too cheap to buy it. Would rather use that money to fill my tank up. In line splice is too convenient for corrosion to grow btw.

BeechAV8R

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beech, thanks big time. Worked like a charm!!! These things are crazy
Good to hear that you got them working!

I just installed 4 LP6's on the front bumper of my old faithful CJ7 rock-crawler and used them up in the snow/mountains last night for the first time. They work 100X better than the old HID's that they replaced!
Sponsored