Sponsored

Baja Designs LP6 - do you use the low setting or just run on high?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Forgive my ignorance, in my experience with previous vehicles the low beam drops out when the high beam is engaged. Is this the case with the JL? Maybe tie the low setting with the fog lights and the high setting with the high beams?
No need of forgiveness. I just simply got a jump on you, as I've been specifically researching the LP's and Squadrons for a while now.

On my past vehicles, the low beams noticeably dropped out when the highs were clicked on (the column lever pushed forward), but stayed lit when the highs were momentarily flashed (lever pulled back). On the JL, the lows don't seem to drop off with the highs. Also, the JL is the 1st vehicle I've owned that has the option of fogs on without headlights, and the tazer (if you get one) has the option of no fog drop off with high beams. I for one like all of these lighting abilities, which is why I'd personally rather not intertwine the LP's low and high functions into any existing circuits.

Will your XR have the factory aux switches? If so, and you didn't want to use up 2 of them and still have to shut one off before turning the other one on, just simply use the low/high toggle switch that comes with them. That will ensure that both circuits don't fire at once. And the backlight can be wired into the parking lights. That's what I did with my LP4's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 - do you use the low setting or just run on high? 20210127_195638
Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No need of forgiveness. I just simply got a jump on you, as I've been specifically researching the LP's and Squadrons for a while now.

On my past vehicles, the low beams noticeably dropped out when the highs were clicked on (the column lever pushed forward), but stayed lit when the highs were momentarily flashed (lever pulled back). On the JL, the lows don't seem to drop off with the highs. Also, the JL is the 1st vehicle I've owned that has the option of fogs on without headlights, and the tazer (if you get one) has the option of no fog drop off with high beams. I for one like all of these lighting abilities, which is why I'd personally rather not intertwine the LP's low and high functions into any existing circuits.

Will your XR have the factory aux switches? If so, and you didn't want to use up 2 of them and still have to shut one off before turning the other one on, just simply use the low/high toggle switch that comes with them. That will ensure that both circuits don't fire at once. And the backlight can be wired into the parking lights. That's what I did with my LP4's.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 - do you use the low setting or just run on high? 20210127_195638
It’s something to think about for sure. I had squadrons on my last rig, and plan on using a pair of LP6s on this one. I do have a Tazer and currently have the no dropout fogs setup but may be willing to sacrifice to save an aux switch. I don’t think I’ll option to use the included switch, I would prefer not to have aftermarket switches installed for aesthetic reasons. I might be willing to keep fog light drop outs to use a relay based control for the BD lights. Hell I may just wire the LP6s as high only and use the factory high beams as a “low” setting. I’m impressed coming from the shit halogen lights in the last rig. I don’t often run at night, and even more rare to not take the lead when I do. I’m pretty stoked to have the LPs on this rig, regardless of how they’re wired.

Also, I really like your rig man. Nice work, she’s done right. I’ve been seeing it around here for the last couple months, and haven’t had a chance to tell ya. She’s damn purdy. (That’s Texas for pretty)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
It’s something to think about for sure. I had squadrons on my last rig, and plan on using a pair of LP6s on this one. I do have a Tazer and currently have the no dropout fogs setup but may be willing to sacrifice to save an aux switch. I don’t think I’ll option to use the included switch, I would prefer not to have aftermarket switches installed for aesthetic reasons. I might be willing to keep fog light drop outs to use a relay based control for the BD lights. Hell I may just wire the LP6s as high only and use the factory high beams as a “low” setting. I’m impressed coming from the shit halogen lights in the last rig. I don’t often run at night, and even more rare to not take the lead when I do. I’m pretty stoked to have the LPs on this rig, regardless of how they’re wired.

Also, I really like your rig man. Nice work, she’s done right. I’ve been seeing it around here for the last couple months, and haven’t had a chance to tell ya. She’s damn purdy. (That’s Texas for pretty)
This Jeep is my 1st, and it's factory led headlamps are the brightest of any vehicle I've owned. Definitely no complaints in normal daily driving. The Baja Designs LP4 Pros are so ridiculously bright, that it's like having the power of the sun on a switch. A single pair of the LP6's on high will probably equal the brightness of my setup. You'll definitely be very pleased with them.

Here's a shot of just my amber LP4's, without the white Squadrons and headlights.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs LP6 - do you use the low setting or just run on high? 20210127_200104

Thanks for the kind words! You've got a great looking 2 door Firecracker, and I look forward to seeing your upcoming XR!

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
WIRING SQUADRON SPORTS

The pair of squadron sports I received has the harness with the relay and switch.

Am I able to cut up the harness and remove the switch and relay-assume with the AUX switches I won’t need it. Then just splice a power and ground from both lights into a single wire to connect to the factory AUX wires?
Sorry OP, just realized I posted this in the wrong thread. Anyhow thanks for the help, just got them wired and it was perhaps the easiest wiring job ever with the aux switches.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This Jeep is my 1st, and it's factory led headlamps are the brightest of any vehicle I've owned. Definitely no complaints in normal daily driving. The Baja Designs LP4 Pros are so ridiculously bright, that it's like having the power of the sun on a switch. A single pair of the LP6's on high will probably equal the brightness of my setup. You'll definitely be very pleased with them.

Here's a shot of just my amber LP4's, without the white Squadrons and headlights.
20210127_200104.jpg

Thanks for the kind words! You've got a great looking 2 door Firecracker, and I look forward to seeing your upcoming XR!
Okay, I've got it... This will work even without low beam or fog light drop out, and uses just one relay.

Use the high beam circuit to control the coil of the relay. This relay has three contacts for control; Common (hot), Normally Open (NO) and Normally Closed (NC).

Tie the Aux 1 wire to the common (hot) lead of the relay

Tie the "low" wire from the LP6 to the NC output of the relay. When the high beams are off, the NC contact has power and this activates the "low" setting of the LP6

Tie the "high"wire from the LP6 to the NO output of the relay. When the high beams are turned on, this will drop out the "low" relay and activate the "high" relay without ever running them both at the same time.

Or drive your Lambo at 10/10 🤷

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I use both low and high and think BD explained it well. Brights on these light are no joke and it’s nice to have a low beam setting.
Sponsored