Sponsored

Baja Designs LP6 - do you use the low setting or just run on high?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Curious if people use the Low setting much or not? If my jeep came with 6 Aux switches then I would just wire it up to 2 switches, but only having 4 I am wondering if this Low/High is something I would use or not. It is also a lot simpler to set up as a High only configuration.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go thru the set up of using 2 AUX switches to run a Low/High option for my LP6 lights or just wire them for High only to AUX 1 or 2.
Good threads on info:
tons of info on wiring
LP specific thread
Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Curious if people use the Low setting much or not? If my jeep came with 6 Aux switches then I would just wire it up to 2 switches, but only having 4 I am wondering if this Low/High is something I would use or not. It is also a lot simpler to set up as a High only configuration.

I'm trying to decide if I want to go thru the set up of using 2 AUX switches to run a Low/High option for my LP6 lights or just wire them for High only to AUX 1 or 2.
Good threads on info:
tons of info on wiring
LP specific thread
I'd be happy to chime in on my thoughts, but would be curious to see the perspective of some other drivers before I weigh in.

OP
OP
brewski

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I'd be happy to chime in on my thoughts, but would be curious to see the perspective of some other drivers before I weigh in.
lets hear them. I've seen lots of photos, but until you see things in person it can be hard to get you head around what you think. I can see a point where the High part would cast too much light being a negative for the conditions. And since I live in the PNW, its rare to have that open desert where I can see for long distance. I usually just like a flood to light up my immediate surroundings. If it was an option I probably would have got a full driving lens w/o the top spot lens.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Good threads on info:
tons of info on wiring
LP specific thread
Would you use "eco mode" in a Lamborghini?

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Would you use "eco mode" in a Lamborghini?
I love this, but will play devil's advocate as I do personally enjoy being able to dim under specific conditions.

I find it very useful to be able to dim in foggy, dusty, and rainy situations. And more acutely, when approaching road signs and other reflective elements when on remote roads or trails. I have had members of my group complain that my lights are too bright while they are driving behind me simply due to the reflection off of the occasional road/trail sign. Usually a quick instance, but really nice option on the longer trails. Low beams on the LPs should realistically be adequate light for most casual driving. As things speed up, or terrain gets tricky, you can flip on the higher output lights.

I don't have the best vision at night and my eyes tend to fatigue. Once they are tired, they adjust to varying degrees of light much slower. Having all the light on at once is usually great and feels just fine, but reflection off the pavement or wet dirt does take a toll on the eyes after a while. If I have all my lights on, and have to dim for an oncoming vehicle, it takes so long for my eyes to adjust that I am driving practically blind during the time it takes the oncoming vehicle to pass. When I just have a pair of Squadron Pro running and need to dim them, that adjustment period/degree is much smaller than when I adjust after having driven behind my 30" OnX6+ for 10 minutes.

Sponsored

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
WIRING SQUADRON SPORTS

The pair of squadron sports I received has the harness with the relay and switch.

Am I able to cut up the harness and remove the switch and relay-assume with the AUX switches I won’t need it. Then just splice a power and ground from both lights into a single wire to connect to the factory AUX wires?

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I love this, but will play devil's advocate as I do personally enjoy being able to dim under specific conditions.

I find it very useful to be able to dim in foggy, dusty, and rainy situations. And more acutely, when approaching road signs and other reflective elements when on remote roads or trails. I have had members of my group complain that my lights are too bright while they are driving behind me simply due to the reflection off of the occasional road/trail sign. Usually a quick instance, but really nice option on the longer trails. Low beams on the LPs should realistically be adequate light for most casual driving. As things speed up, or terrain gets tricky, you can flip on the higher output lights.

I don't have the best vision at night and my eyes tend to fatigue. Once they are tired, they adjust to varying degrees of light much slower. Having all the light on at once is usually great and feels just fine, but reflection off the pavement or wet dirt does take a toll on the eyes after a while. If I have all my lights on, and have to dim for an oncoming vehicle, it takes so long for my eyes to adjust that I am driving practically blind during the time it takes the oncoming vehicle to pass. When I just have a pair of Squadron Pro running and need to dim them, that adjustment period/degree is much smaller than when I adjust after having driven behind my 30" OnX6+ for 10 minutes.
Disregard what I said, these are excellent points!

I never had the LP series lights on my last rig and therefore never had the option to dim. I was planning on hooking LP6's up front on the XR, and hadn't even considered it being a 2 switch affair. Is there another way to control the high/low?

I may have to rig something up here... what about a relay tied in with the low beam headlight wire that triggers the LP6 low and another relay tied in with the high beam that runs the LP6 high? Supply both relays with power through AUX 1 switch rated at 40 amps... and then you could turn on the AUX 1 and the LP6 would match the high/low beam function of the headlights.

In other words... turn on your aux 1, it powers both relays. If your low beams are on the low beam relay runs the LP6 in low mode, and if you turn your high beams on the high beam relay triggers the LP6 high output?

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
WIRING SQUADRON SPORTS

The pair of squadron sports I received has the harness with the relay and switch.

Am I able to cut up the harness and remove the switch and relay-assume with the AUX switches I won’t need it. Then just splice a power and ground from both lights into a single wire to connect to the factory AUX wires?
@Baja Designs can you let me know if this would work? Thanks!

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
Although I run the LP9's, I will throw in my 2c. I ran high only when I originally installed and it was to the point where I could very rarely use them. They were absurdly bright and threw light so far down range that ended up never using them. I recently switched to the combo lense in Amber and wired up the low settings. I now use the low settings every morning while heading to the gym. I have yet to be flashed with that which is surprising as it lights up everything around me close by and even my friend said while it was bright standing a ways away, it wasn't blinding. It also allows me to pop over to the high's if there is no traffic around and create some temporary daytime. His opinion changed when I hit the high and it was as he called it, "Oh, WTF, dude, what, why, why do u need that much light" Definitely wire up the low mode, I use it far more frequently as it also creates way less glare from reflective signs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I use them for the same reasons of which BD spoke. Fog, rain, snow.

Right now I've got them using 3 Aux switches, including bright, dim, and back light. If I need to free up a switch, I might consider bright only. But I don't see that need at this point and I like having the low beam.

Sponsored

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

I never had the LP series lights on my last rig and therefore never had the option to dim. I was planning on hooking LP6's up front on the XR, and hadn't even considered it being a 2 switch affair. Is there another way to control the high/low?

I may have to rig something up here... what about a relay tied in with the low beam headlight wire that triggers the LP6 low and another relay tied in with the high beam that runs the LP6 high? Supply both relays with power through AUX 1 switch rated at 40 amps... and then you could turn on the AUX 1 and the LP6 would match the high/low beam function of the headlights.

In other words... turn on your aux 1, it powers both relays. If your low beams are on the low beam relay runs the LP6 in low mode, and if you turn your high beams on the high beam relay triggers the LP6 high output?
I think this sounds pretty slick, I’m just thinking of scenarios to ensure this would behave how I would want. I’m in FL so I have to guess, I haven’t gotten my Jeep out west yet where this question really matters

AlrightAlready

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR. Couple Ducs
I thought about something similar to what Jeepeto said so it has power but only hits the highs when you pull the high beam stalk and drew up a wiring diagram for it. I will look around and see if I still have it. I ended up just scooping a voswitch panel and have it mounted on a CMM ball by the grab handle. It's so easy to access and easy to see, that I ended up not going the relay route. Top left button is long range, bottom left is low beam, and the tied the backlighting to the running lights.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

The LP's aren't designed to run the low and high settings at the same time. Damage to the internal electronics is likely, which would suck happening to these pricy lights.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
WIRING SQUADRON SPORTS

Yes, you can cut the relay and switch out of their harness and hook it directly to your factory aux switch, which has its own relay and fuse. I did that with my LP4's. Baja Designs offers 2 different harnesses. One that includes everything, like what you have, and the other which is designed for a vehicle that is already setup for adding lights.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The LP's aren't designed to run the low and high settings at the same time. Damage to the internal electronics is likely, which would suck happening to these pricy lights.
Forgive my ignorance, in my experience with previous vehicles the low beam drops out when the high beam is engaged. Is this the case with the JL? Maybe tie the low setting with the fog lights and the high setting with the high beams?
Sponsored