ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Got my LP4's installed today - I first ordered the JL steel bumper version with the upfitter harness but they are not available to ship until November. Found a set with the standard harness and I re-worked that to hook into my AUX1 switch.

First I cut the last leg of the wiring harness away from the relay, fuse, switch, etc. leaving about 4 feet of harness for each light. I removed the sheath on the white/black pair, and also the yellow (backlight) wire, and then inserted the yellow wire's deutsch terminal into the existing deutsch connector block for the white/black pair (remove the green 'keeper' so it seats all the way in). I then used the larger sheath from the switch leg of the harness (the one with 3 wires running through it) to keep everything together. In essence I made a short upfitter harness using the pieces from the regular harness.

The length was fine because I created my own wiring harness using 12 and 16 gauge primary wire to go from the aux wire location, under the air filter housing, and down along the right side of the grill to the bumper. I have the AUX1 going through a relay hooked to the high beam wire on the passenger side of the vehicle, shown here:

1631771087270.png

and a posi-tap connector:
1631771184326.png

Here's the thread on tapping into the high beam circuit:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/headlight-high-beam-splice-point.46915/

The backlight is connected before the relay so they come on when AUX1 is on, and then the LP4's light up when I turn on my high beams.

They are a sight to behold at night for sure.
The question I have is your high beams turn on the LP4s and they are not street legal - do you turn off your high beams at the first sight of other headlights? Not very many winding roads were you live? How does that actually work while driving on the road (angry drivers flashing at you)?
Sponsored

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The question I have is your high beams turn on the LP4s and they are not street legal - do you turn off your high beams at the first sight of other headlights?
So the high beam wire is connected to the coil (trigger) of the relay and the AUX1 circuit is the switched load. If I want to use my high beams as normal I just keep AUX1 off ('on road legal'). If I want to use my LP4's I turn AUX1 on and then use the high beam switch to control them (like when I'm driving in Mexico). The high beams and the LP4's are switched at the same time (when AUX1 is on) which works great, I do not need the ability to independently turn on the LP4's.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So the high beam wire is connected to the coil (trigger) of the relay and the AUX1 circuit is the switched load. If I want to use my high beams as normal I just keep AUX1 off ('on road legal'). If I want to use my LP4's I turn AUX1 on and then use the high beam switch to control them (like when I'm driving in Mexico). The high beams and the LP4's are switched at the same time (when AUX1 is on) which works great, I do not need the ability to independently turn on the LP4's.
Nice that sounds like a really good setup actually - I was looking at something similar when driving on back roads, I have my LP4s on a Switch-Pros switch on the A pillar and its not easy to turn on-off on the road.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
@Baja Designs I live in Oregon where it oftens rains and is foggy. I am looking to add a pair of squadrons on the a pillar, SAE fogs in the bumper and a set of either LP4 or LP6 on top of the bumper.

Can you recommend which light patterns I should get for each, also thinking amber figs and amber a pillars possibly.
Some nice feedback already, but I will chime in with my two pennies.

Bumper - Amber SAE
A-Pillar - Squadron Spot if the goal is more distance. Squadron Wide Cornering, slightly angled outwards if the goal is ditch lighting.

Bumper - LP4/LP6 I suggest Driving/Combo as it will blend everything very nicely. If you find down the road that you need more distance, you can swap the lenses for some Spots.

If you have not already, please check out our Lighting Zone breakdown here. Should give some additional detail and examples for you.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/Science-of-Lighting/Lighting-Zones.asp

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Nice that sounds like a really good setup actually - I was looking at something similar when driving on back roads, I have my LP4s on a Switch-Pros switch on the A pillar and its not easy to turn on-off on the road.
I also have the SwitchPros SP9100 system. I hooked the 2nd trigger wire into my highbeam circuit and programmed it to power all of my forward lighting with the highbeam function. A push of a button on the switch panel toggles back to normal highbeam.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210218_223044
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210131_185424

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the SwitchPros SP9100 system. I hooked the 2nd trigger wire into my highbeam circuit and programmed it to power all of my forward lighting with the highbeam function. A push of a button on the switch panel toggles back to normal highbeam.
Connection with high beam is a great idea. What a ton of light 👍🏻

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Connection with high beam is a great idea. What a ton of light 👍🏻
It's handy whenever I come across someone inconsiderate enough to drive around with their lightbar on. A quick flash does the trick every time. A real quick one, otherwise I can smell burning hair as I pass them. :angel:

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210127_200435

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631831742714

Yea, a few extra lights go a looooong way when getting a point across to those who don't want to turn off their brights. :like: 😱
Mine will get that point across, but your setup would leave em with a drool soaked chin and no short-term memory.

Your setup could bleach the color off the front half of the other guys ride.

A backseat passenger in the other vehicle would get an x-ray view of the driver and the seat frame.

Your setup could keep a night game going during rolling blackouts.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
You guys are hysterical!!

I have two sets on order LP4's and LP6's since July 1st dam global shortages! They should be shipping in October I was told. Now I can't WAIT to get my hot hands on them. Thanks for all the wiring ideas.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@Baja Designs

quick question. i'm thinking of swapping out my squadron pro driving combo (on my a pillar) to lp4 spot. can i use the squadron pro wiring for the lp4?

also do you think having the lp4 spot on the a pillar will work well with the lp4 driving combo on the front bumper (already installed) in lighting up the road / trails.

thanks.

Last edited:

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
@Baja Designs

quick question. i'm thinking of swapping out my squadron pro driving combo (on my a pillar) to lp4 spot. can i use the squadron pro wiring for the lp4?

also do you think having the lp4 spot on the a pillar will work well with the lp4 driving combo on the front bumper (already installed) in lighting up the road / trails.

thanks.
I think you should leave the squadron pros on the A-pillar. The side shooters on the lp-4 will light up your hood creating glare reducing forward visibility. They are extremely bright. My lp-4 are excellent on the bumper.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
I think you should leave the squadron pros on the A-pillar. The side shooters on the lp-4 will light up your hood creating glare reducing forward visibility. They are extremely bright. My lp-4 are excellent on the bumper.
yeah. i love my lp4 driving combo. i was looking at the spot for the a pillar. i was thinking that the spot didnt have the side shooters with 1700 lumuns. if i read it right. baja design website said that this is a good setup.

i'm gonna look for the one you tube video of the one guy that put some tint film on the side of lp4 to reduce the glare. i cant remember off hand what the result was.

thanks for the heads up carl.

mastrcruse

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
@Baja Designs May I get some help with identifying the harness I need to directly connect these into my OE Fog harness? Jeep has the led package but not the Steel bumpers.

**James from Baja Designs was really helpful and got me hooked up.

Last edited:

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
yeah. i love my lp4 driving combo. i was looking at the spot for the a pillar. i was thinking that the spot didnt have the side shooters with 1700 lumuns. if i read it right. baja design website said that this is a good setup.

i'm gonna look for the one you tube video of the one guy that put some tint film on the side of lp4 to reduce the glare. i cant remember off hand what the result was.

thanks for the heads up carl.
The only difference in LP4 spot and combo is the lens. The side leds would be on either. I am making a carbon fiber piece to block the inside leds and I will still have the outside. Hope it works out, the light cast on the hood is very distracting to me. This will be the 1st time I have had any lights above the hood. line.
Sponsored

Last edited: