Sponsored

Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
these would be in place of the factory fogs. So they would be running solo on that circuit.
A pair of LP4 would be pulling over 15 amps all together. I would almost guarantee that the stock wiring will not be able to support that much current, but please check with a JL specific resource before making the decision to wire this way.
Sponsored

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
these would be in place of the factory fogs. So they would be running solo on that circuit.
If you have the LED package then no the current draw will be way too much, with old school bulbs you might but would probably have to put a 20 amp fuse in place of the stock one, but I wouldn't do that as they are not street legal also and could cause problems, I remember testing my LP4's Ambers in the neighborhood and forgot to turn them off... not good.

MRH512

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
@Baja Designs, I'm considering adding a 10" light bar to my front bumper (OEM Mopar steel), under the bull bar and in front of the winch.

I'd be using it primarily for back road/trail driving but also want another low-mounted light source for foggy/dusty and severe rain conditions. I have the Squadron Pros (driving combo) on the cowels and the SAE fog lights. The Squadron Pros don't work great in severe rain and the fog lights aren't quite bright enough off road.

Can you make a recommendation between the S8 and the OnX6 for my needs? Similarly, what light pattern would you suggest, the Driving Combo or solely the Wide?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

DARAMOS

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Unlimted Sport
If you have the LED package then no the current draw will be way too much, with old school bulbs you might but would probably have to put a 20 amp fuse in place of the stock one, but I wouldn't do that as they are not street legal also and could cause problems, I remember testing my LP4's Ambers in the neighborhood and forgot to turn them off... not good.
No LED package. Might have to just run the switch down under the stock lighting "knob". Wish i could use the existing though.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
@Baja Designs, I'm considering adding a 10" light bar to my front bumper (OEM Mopar steel), under the bull bar and in front of the winch.

I'd be using it primarily for back road/trail driving but also want another low-mounted light source for foggy/dusty and severe rain conditions. I have the Squadron Pros (driving combo) on the cowels and the SAE fog lights. The Squadron Pros don't work great in severe rain and the fog lights aren't quite bright enough off road.

Can you make a recommendation between the S8 and the OnX6 for my needs? Similarly, what light pattern would you suggest, the Driving Combo or solely the Wide?

Thanks in advance,
Matt
It sounds like anything from a pair of Squadron Sports up to light bars or LP series would be able to satisfy your needs. The Pros are mounted too high to be a proper dust light, but if you moved them down to the bumper, they would probably be exactly what you are looking for. I'd probably consider the S8 with an amber Driving Combo pattern, but the "by the book" pattern would be Wide Cornering.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
installed the lp4 driving combos. just have to wire them up to my rough country mlc6 set up. the lp4s fits nicely on the bull bar.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210718_155252[1]

Greymatter

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Vehicle Showcase
@Baja Designs I live in Oregon where it oftens rains and is foggy. I am looking to add a pair of squadrons on the a pillar, SAE fogs in the bumper and a set of either LP4 or LP6 on top of the bumper.

Can you recommend which light patterns I should get for each, also thinking amber figs and amber a pillars possibly.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Baja Designs I live in Oregon where it oftens rains and is foggy. I am looking to add a pair of squadrons on the a pillar, SAE fogs in the bumper and a set of either LP4 or LP6 on top of the bumper.

Can you recommend which light patterns I should get for each, also thinking amber figs and amber a pillars possibly.
I would recommend the Amber SAE fogs in the bumper, in the heavy snow or fog they work really well, the stock white fogs actually make it worse if there is snow/fog on the road. I also have LP4's on the bumper in Amber and they are awesome.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Ambers are great for cutting through fog, rain, dust, and snow. They work best when mounted low and as far forward as possible, to minimize bounce back. The a-pillars are a better location for general use white light.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210512_195756_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210128_132835_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 20210218_223121

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got my LP4's installed today - I first ordered the JL steel bumper version with the upfitter harness but they are not available to ship until November. Found a set with the standard harness and I re-worked that to hook into my AUX1 switch.

First I cut the last leg of the wiring harness away from the relay, fuse, switch, etc. leaving about 4 feet of harness for each light. I removed the sheath on the white/black pair, and also the yellow (backlight) wire, and then inserted the yellow wire's deutsch terminal into the existing deutsch connector block for the white/black pair (remove the green 'keeper' so it seats all the way in). I then used the larger sheath from the switch leg of the harness (the one with 3 wires running through it) to keep everything together. In essence I made a short upfitter harness using the pieces from the regular harness.

The length was fine because I created my own wiring harness using 12 and 16 gauge primary wire to go from the aux wire location, under the air filter housing, and down along the right side of the grill to the bumper. I have the AUX1 going through a relay hooked to the high beam wire on the passenger side of the vehicle, shown here:

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631771087270

and a posi-tap connector:
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631771184326

Here's the thread on tapping into the high beam circuit:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/headlight-high-beam-splice-point.46915/

The backlight is connected before the relay so they come on when AUX1 is on, and then the LP4's light up when I turn on my high beams.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631770070623

They are a sight to behold at night for sure.

Last edited:

Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel

I’m in WA, west side of the mountains, so I’d guess we see the same conditions often. I use the squadron Sport amber combo lens as my fogs and is an alternate headlight for me. When the roads are wet, light is low but not dark it can be really hard to see, especially with fog. The yellow light really works well. White LEDs reflect water vapor/droplets in the air more than a halogen and they can very horrid in certain conditions. For these I run my side lights and fogs and can see great.
I have not tried the Squadron pros for this, but I think it would be too much light which would make it harder to see and blind other vehicles. The sports cast a good light far down the road and a nice wide net to see the edges.

As far as where you’re going to mount them. Mine are mounted low. I think if you mounted them high the reflection off the hood would be counterproductive. I’d advise mounting them below your headlights.

OMTBiker

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Snazzberry
Occupation
Information Technology
Vehicle Showcase
Got my LP4's installed today - I first ordered the JL steel bumper version with the upfitter harness but they are not available to ship until November. Found a set with the standard harness and I re-worked that to hook into my AUX1 switch.

First I cut the last leg of the wiring harness away from the relay, fuse, switch, etc. leaving about 4 feet of harness for each light. I removed the sheath on the white/black pair, and also the yellow (backlight) wire, and then inserted the yellow wire's deutsch terminal into the existing deutsch connector block for the white/black pair (remove the green 'keeper' so it seats all the way in). I then used the larger sheath from the switch leg of the harness (the one with 3 wires running through it) to keep everything together. In essence I made a short upfitter harness using the pieces from the regular harness.

The length was fine because I created my own wiring harness using 12 and 16 gauge primary wire to go from the aux wire location, under the air filter housing, and down along the right side of the grill to the bumper. I have the AUX1 going through a relay hooked to the high beam wire on the passenger side of the vehicle, shown here:

and a posi-tap connector:

Here's the thread on tapping into the high beam circuit:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/headlight-high-beam-splice-point.46915/

The backlight is connected before the relay so they come on when AUX1 is on, and then the LP4's light up when I turn on my high beams.

They are a sight to behold at night for sure.
What brackets are you using for mounting the lights to the bar?

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Is it not possible to do this off the fuse? And run a piggy back fuse for your bright switch instead of taping into a wire.
I'm not sure about tapping a fuse for this function, didn't look into it, but I do know there's a plug-and-play harness that connects to the headlight available from Lightforce:
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631796942228

It's from an Australian company so the shipping may take some effort.

LanceMagnum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What brackets are you using for mounting the lights to the bar?
Large Light Mount from Axia Alloys:
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631797371860

https://axiaalloys.com/product/large-light-mount-for-7-and-larger-hid/

They are not perfect - the wide mounting bracket from the LP4's will interfere with the cap screws as shown in the picture. If you flip the clamps over there is a smaller nut that protrudes instead of the head of the caps screws but I still needed 1 fender washer as a spacer between the mounting area and the LP4 bracket. They did tighten up well and are very solid.

Pic of flipped clamps:
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs Awesome LP Series Support Thread 1631798352883
Sponsored

Last edited: