Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
I followed the schematics and built my wiring harness and tested it prior to plugging it into the lights and it works perfectly. Low beams on aux1 and high beam on Aux 2. If I happen to have both switched on it defaults to high beam. It was straight forward and only took me a couple hours from start to finish.

D7C06ADF-862C-49ED-82FD-219E5649A475.jpeg
Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I followed the schematics and built my wiring harness and tested it prior to plugging it into the lights and it works perfectly. Low beams on aux1 and high beam on Aux 2. If I happen to have both switched on it defaults to high beam. It was straight forward and only took me a couple hours from start to finish.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness D7C06ADF-862C-49ED-82FD-219E5649A475
Thanks for your feedback Wade! It looks a little challenging but it's quite simple. If anyone needs a better explanation, feel free to reach out. Always happy to help. :)

Loving the LP4 and LP6 on your rigs, so clean!

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 392. Was '20 Rubicon, '17 Rubicon
6 pages of an awesome conversation, but nobody seems to have found out the best way to tap into the parking lights? Are these on canbus?

Anyone successfully integrate the parking lights into the parking light circuit on the car? If so, where did you tap in?

Baja Designs - what's the recommended procedure here?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
6 pages of an awesome conversation, but nobody seems to have found out the best way to tap into the parking lights? Are these on canbus?

Anyone successfully integrate the parking lights into the parking light circuit on the car? If so, where did you tap in?

Instead of tapping into the DRL I just ran a fuse jumper from the fuse box. Simple and I can unhook it easily if I decide later that I don’t want them on.

I used the F52 fuse.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

I set up different lights (parking light in the fender air vent). Under the front fender flare liner on each side is the wiring. Look here for the wiring diagram of whIch wire is the parking light to tap into depending on if you have halogen or LED and which side.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeep-jl-wrangler-wiring-diagrams.19523/

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable

Jegeiken and nerubi both nailed it. :) Either of the options that they described will work. Personally I like being able to remove aftermarket parts if I ever needed to, so I would do an "add-a-fuse" on a switched power circuit or marker light circuit.

OP
OP
pcpopcorn

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red

Here is another option I found in a post somewhere on this forum.I purchased this but have not installed it yet
Here is their description
Easily connect additional daytime running (DRL) or standard marker lamps to your Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT with the Daytime Running Lamp Adapter Wiring Harness. One of the wires allows you to tap into the ignition sourced daytime running lamp circuit on all JL Sahara's, Overland Gladiator JT and Rubicon JL & JT. The other wire allows you to tap into the running lamp/marker lamp circuit for backlit lighting such as our J5 light bar. Whether you are installing the Quadratec J3 LED light bar, J5 LED light bar, or any brand of auxiliary DRL lighting Quadratec has you covered. Customize your JL and JT with confidence.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/daytime-running-lamp-adapter-wiring-harness-jeep-wrangler-jl

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The F52 is a switched ignition circuit. That means i have to burn up another switch (which I'd like to not do).

The market light circuit is best. Thanks for the reference that the best place to grab it is in a front fender harness.

Question - because that's likely on canbus, would it be best recommended to wire directly into that circuit, or do we need to use a relay?

RubiCoug

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is another option I found in a post somewhere on this forum.I purchased this but have not installed it yet
Here is their description
Easily connect additional daytime running (DRL) or standard marker lamps to your Jeep Wrangler JL and Gladiator JT with the Daytime Running Lamp Adapter Wiring Harness. One of the wires allows you to tap into the ignition sourced daytime running lamp circuit on all JL Sahara's, Overland Gladiator JT and Rubicon JL & JT. The other wire allows you to tap into the running lamp/marker lamp circuit for backlit lighting such as our J5 light bar. Whether you are installing the Quadratec J3 LED light bar, J5 LED light bar, or any brand of auxiliary DRL lighting Quadratec has you covered. Customize your JL and JT with confidence.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/daytime-running-lamp-adapter-wiring-harness-jeep-wrangler-jl

This! This is exactly what I need to do this plug and play. Thank you!

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Question for those who have installed a lockout relay for the LP6s. My Jeep didn't come with the factory aux switch bank but it's on order and I'll be wiring that in at the same time as two LP6s. I do have the LP9 Pro harness from BD that I am going to repurpose for the aux switches but I wanted to get clarification on the lockout relay.

Can I repurpose the relay in the BD wiring harness kit? Am I understanding the wiring procedure correctly where the aux wire #1 has a jumper inline that goes to the relay while the remaining wire goes directly to the lights, and the aux #2 lead is wired from the aux switch bank to the relay then from the relay to the light? The diagram @BajaDesigns posted would normally make sense to me but my tired brain isn't allowing it to make sense lol. Also, instead of having it default to high mode like others have I can have it default to low just by reversing the diagram wiring? I would prefer it to default to low mode if both are accidentally triggered as I'll be using that mode more often than high. Appreciate the input everyone.

Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Yes you can use the BD wiring harness but it’s basically for wires and the relay. I had the BD harness and it was used mostly for the wires. You will have to wire it according to the BD diagram and it actually wasn’t that difficult. It works perfectly with Aux1 turning on the low beams and Aux2 the high beams. I am sure you could reverse the order to make the low beams be the override if both are switched. Whatever you do test the wires prior to plugging in the lights to make sure they are behaving like you plan.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Yes you can use the BD wiring harness but it’s basically for wires and the relay. I had the BD harness and it was used mostly for the wires. You will have to wire it according to the BD diagram and it actually wasn’t that difficult. It works perfectly with Aux1 turning on the low beams and Aux2 the high beams. I am sure you could reverse the order to make the low beams be the override if both are switched. Whatever you do test the wires prior to plugging in the lights to make sure they are behaving like you plan.
Exactly what wbee said. :) You're pretty much using that harness for material and the relay is a 5 pin 30/40amp style that can be used according to that schematic. You should be able to wire it to where it defaults to low beam by switching the high/low wires on the relay. But I would definitely check your work with a test light or multi meter before hooking up the lights. Let me know if you have more questions or need clarification, thank you!

-Paul M.

Evianrd

First Name
Bradford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator

I struggled with the same before finding a video where an installer loosely pointed a finger at the white with brown stripe wire for Day Running Light and white with green stripe wire for turn indicator when installing new halo headlights. I assumed the same wires may be used under the fender so I took a risk and pinched the DRL wire piggyback connector as seen in my pic below. It worked! See the DRL result with the amber LP6

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 4E688C97-DF2D-4AA4-9D9F-92E34EFAB023

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 96E88EE5-90E4-40A4-B5D2-C05D21165FA5

Evianrd

First Name
Bradford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Has anyone mounted the BD switch in the cabin, and where did you locate it if so? Pics would be helpful as well.

Yellowssm

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Has no one ever tried to mount the lp6’s on the end of the oem steel bumper? I don’t want to mount them on the bull bar or remove the bull bar.
Sponsored