Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
You shouldn't be using these lights in any mode on public roads. You're going to end up with one hell of a ticket.

I only wired the high mode on mine. I don't have a need for a lower brightness mode.
This is exactly what I want to do, these lights will be for off road only with using only one aux switch. I am not an electrical guru, only do basic stuff. I bought the harness with 2 lp6's but i'm lost on this wiring.
Sponsored

zscooby

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU white Rubicon, 2019 BMW R1250GSA 2019 Honda Talon 1000x
This is exactly what I want to do, these lights will be for off road only with using only one aux switch. I am not an electrical guru, only do basic stuff. I bought the harness with 2 lp6's but i'm lost on this wiring.[/QUOT

how do you want them to work? High and low? Just high?

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just high for offloading only

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
This is exactly what I want to do, these lights will be for off road only with using only one aux switch. I am not an electrical guru, only do basic stuff. I bought the harness with 2 lp6's but i'm lost on this wiring.
Hi rcliff1,

I can definitely assist you on the install! :) I'm assuming you purchased the part #640172 harness?

Currently, there are two ways the lights can be installed:
A) Using the Baja Designs Wiring Harness and Supplied Switch
B) Using the Pre-Wired Connections under the hood

Option B does require extra work from the installer and is a little more complex. You will have to run wiring directly from the underhood wires to the light. At this point, the #640172 wiring harness will be used for material as we're not using the switch, ring terminals, or relay. Here's a schematic of the pins from the back of the light so you know what does what. You'll want to locate the relay and identify the loom that has four wires going to the lights. There will be a yellow, black, red, and white. The yellow is for the amber backlit feature, black is ground, red is for the low beam, and white is for the high beam. Since you don't need the low beam, we will be focusing on three wires. The red will be capped off away from corrosion/weather.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-5-55-01-pm-png.png

The Jeep has 4 wires under the hood with the following colors/amperage:

Brown/Pink Stripe | 40A | Aux 1
Green/Pink Stripe | 40A | Aux 2
Pink/Orange Stripe | 15A | Aux 3
Blue/Pink Stripe | 15A | Aux 4

The white wire is our high beam, so you'll be making this connection to either switch 1 or switch 2. The black wire is simply grounded out. This can be done on a common ground or the chassis. Often times, the Amber Backlight (Pin 3, yellow lead) will be tied into the OEM parking lights. Whenever the running lights are on, the Amber Backlight feature is on. An alternative is putting it on a second switch. Which in that case, you can put it on switch 3 or 4.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify a step, or if you need more assistance. Thank you!

-Paul M.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi rcliff1,

I can definitely assist you on the install! :) I'm assuming you purchased the part #640172 harness?

Option B does require extra work from the installer and is a little more complex. You will have to run wiring directly from the underhood wires to the light. At this point, the #640172 wiring harness will be used for material as we're not using the switch, ring terminals, or relay. Here's a schematic of the pins from the back of the light so you know what does what. You'll want to locate the relay and identify the loom that has four wires going to the lights. There will be a yellow, black, red, and white. The yellow is for the amber backlit feature, black is ground, red is for the low beam, and white is for the high beam. Since you don't need the low beam, we will be focusing on three wires. The red will be capped off away from corrosion/weather.

screen-shot-2019-03-21-at-5-55-01-pm-png.png

The white wire is our high beam, so you'll be making this connection to either switch 1 or switch 2. The black wire is simply grounded out. This can be done on a common ground or the chassis. Often times, the Amber Backlight (Pin 3, yellow lead) will be tied into the OEM parking lights. Whenever the running lights are on, the Amber Backlight feature is on. An alternative is putting it on a second switch. Which in that case, you can put it on switch 3 or 4.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify a step, or if you need more assistance. Thank you!

-Paul M.
Thank you for the great reply. I have the harness and doing option B. I'll tackle it this weekend and let you know.

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Thank you for the great reply. I have the harness and doing option B. I'll tackle it this weekend and let you know.
No worries! I forgot to add that once you locate the relay, you will snip the loom with the four wires. If that wasn't clear. :) Sounds great, thank you!

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No worries! I forgot to add that once you locate the relay, you will snip the loom with the four wires. If that wasn't clear. :) Sounds great, thank you!
Your instruction were perfect, those should be on the product page....:)Thank you again!
20200411_155020.jpg

Last edited:

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Your instruction were perfect, those should be on the product page....:)Thank you again!
20200411_155020.jpg
No problem, happy to see we have light! :please:

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Hi rcliff1,

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 20200411_155020

-Paul M.
I’m getting ready to install these lights. If I hook up the low beams to one aux switch and the high beams to another aux switch Will this cause any issues if both aux switches are mistakenly turned on at the same time?

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’m getting ready to install these lights. If I hook up the low beams to one aux switch and the high beams to another aux switch Will this cause any issues if both aux switches are mistakenly turned on at the same time?
Yes you will ruin the lights. You can install a relay to prevent this.

Sponsored

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Yes you will ruin the lights. You can install a relay to prevent this.
Thank you, that confirms what I was thinking. I have a relay that I can use or I may just just hook up the high beams.

Jgeiken

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Thank you, that confirms what I was thinking. I have a relay that I can use or I may just just hook up the high beams.
That was my plan at first as well, but you will want the low beam option after seeing how bright the high beams are.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
I just PM'd a schematic on how to wire in a safety relay! :)

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable

Attachments