Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
No I didn’t. Factory has a DRL dropout option so if you used a diode on both sides and just wired it to the both the DRL and Blinker circuits it would PROBABLY drop the DRL and blink when you wanted it to.

Ran out of time to tinker with it. Became too small of a fish to fry after I already had it hooked up to just turn signals...

Very cool. Did you tap each turn signal independently for each LP6? Did you use the wire from the upfitter harness that was for the DRL to accomplish it? Please share how, as my buddy and I want to do this weekend.

Thanks!
John
Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Very cool. Did you tap each turn signal independently for each LP6? Did you use the wire from the upfitter harness that was for the DRL to accomplish it? Please share how, as my buddy and I want to do this weekend.

Thanks!
John
Yes you have to tap each turn signal independently or they won’t work right.

Right side for right side left for left.

I cut into the factory harness about 3” away from where the plug for the harness for the DRL chop kit, or your stock DRL harness plugs into.

So I cut the wire completely (some will opt not to do this but I use heat shrink connectors and then wrap in high quality electrical tape afterwards you can’t even tell I was there) and then inserted an extra wire in the butt splice. Use high quality heat shrink butt splices of the appropriate size. Strip the factory wires where you cut them and on whatever side makes more sense add in your extra wire. Crimp and heat shrink. Then electrical tape very tightly. Your extra wire is now an extra turn signal wire for that side.

The yellow wire on the LP6 is the backlight. Connect accordingly and Bob’s your uncle.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes you have to tap each turn signal independently or they won’t work right.

Right side for right side left for left.

I cut into the factory harness about 3” away from where the plug for the harness for the DRL chop kit, or your stock DRL harness plugs into.

So I cut the wire completely (some will opt not to do this but I use heat shrink connectors and then wrap in high quality electrical tape afterwards you can’t even tell I was there) and then inserted an extra wire in the butt splice. Use high quality heat shrink butt splices of the appropriate size. Strip the factory wires where you cut them and on whatever side makes more sense add in your extra wire. Crimp and heat shrink. Then electrical tape very tightly. Your extra wire is now an extra turn signal wire for that side.

The yellow wire on the LP6 is the backlight. Connect accordingly and Bob’s your uncle.
Thanks for the info. I have a good set of butt connectors with heat shrink, etc. Doesn't sound too hard. Can't wait to try it out.

I know you mentioned that you didn't have time to try adding the DRL wire in. Do you think it would work the same way? Split the LP6 yellow wire and have one spice to the turn signal, and one to the DRL wire?

John

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Thanks for the info. I have a good set of butt connectors with heat shrink, etc. Doesn't sound too hard. Can't wait to try it out.

I know you mentioned that you didn't have time to try adding the DRL wire in. Do you think it would work the same way? Split the LP6 yellow wire and have one spice to the turn signal, and one to the DRL wire?

John
I would be afraid of back feed into the other circuit. For example when the turn signal fires the computer drops the DRL momentarily.

However if they were both hooked to the same wire they would both energize at the same time and I’m afraid something would either burn out or fuck up in some way. Or it just wouldn’t work at all as you wanted it to.

The work around for this is to add a diode into both the DRL wire and the Turn Signal wire.

The diode will only allow current to flow one way. So no worries of inadvertently energizing both circuits at the same time.

If you find a diode that works and do it and it works as intended please reply and let me know so I can also hook them up that way!

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker

John
I suggest chopping into the vehicle side of the plug when you do it. That way if you ever change out your DRL’s to something else those remain plug and play and you don’t have to re-do this wiring again. There is just enough room to do it cleanly on each side.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Installed everything for the LP6s with the upfitter harness on a JLU with factor AUX. I know the directions state to connect pos & neg rings to battery...but...isn't the Jeep wire hot already, with just grounding of the negative needed?

I'm confused as to why, with all connected to Aux 3&4. I have no low or high. Does the ring connector actually need to be battery connected, or do I just have a bad ground?

Backlight tap is working perfectly fine, so I'm assuming the issue with with my wiring and not the lights.

IMG_3183.jpg

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, all the ones we've installed go to the battery. That's the way it was designed. The only tap I made was to use the LP6's as an additional turn signal, so I tapped the turn signal wires with the backlight wire of the LP6. Worked great.

Sponsored

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 4xe
Yes, all the ones we've installed go to the battery. That's the way it was designed. The only tap I made was to use the LP6's as an additional turn signal, so I tapped the turn signal wires with the backlight wire of the LP6. Worked great.
Thanks...now to figure out exactly which order/way to do it all so I don't blow off a hand and electrocute myself :)

I hate dealing with batteries.

Jeepnjohnny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks...now to figure out exactly which order/way to do it all so I don't blow off a hand and electrocute myself :)

I hate dealing with batteries.
No problem, just don't touch both posts at the same time. Do one at a time. Nice picture by the way. With 4 LP6s, you can light up a small town.

Fullfree

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe MY22, Volvo XC60
LP 6
Factory steel bumper
Mopar Bull Bar and Mounts

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 1638553565736

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness 1638553565736

Hi:

I love your configuration, looks amazing, please can you tell me the exactly model of your winch and the accessories for the winch that you have installed?

Thank you very much for your help.

OP
OP
pcpopcorn

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
Sorry for the delay it is a SuperWinch
Superwinch EXP10si 10000lb Winch with Synthetic Rope - S102738
And all Mopar besides the lights
LP 6
Factory steel bumper
Mopar Bull Bar and Mounts
Also a Factor 55 Red Flatlink and rope guard https://factor55.com/product/flatlink/
Sponsored

Last edited: