Baja Designs are Not JL Rubicon Install Friendly with their Harness

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Aux 2 is probably a little overkill since these lights don't draw close to 40A. All of the specifications are listed on the bottom half of the product page, here is the wattage/amps for the lights:

Specifications:
Forward Projecting Lumens: 8,600 Utilizing 6 LEDs
Forward Projecting Wattage/Amps: 90W / 6.5A
IPT Lumens: 1,700 Utilizing 4 LEDs
IPT Wattage/Amps: 15W / 1.0A
What you said doesn't make sense, unless I'm not understanding something (which may be the case). You said that using Aux 2 is overkill at 40A. Well, the problem is the Aux 3/4 lines are 15A max. Its also 16 (or 18) gage wire. If you add 6.5A + 1.0A (IPT) = 7.5A x 2 lights = 15A. You don't want to run 15 amps through a 15 amp circuit. There is no overhead for power spikes. You will be blowing fuses all day and, even worse, heating those tiny wires.

IF you really just want to use the Aux 3/4 buttons to power the lights, then I suggest you use a relay and run the main power right to the battery.

It would be so much easier if they just made a harness for the JL.
It's not like the JL is going away.
It could have a quick connect near the Bumper to tie in to the running lights.
I agree! When I called them they said they have no plans for it. The good news is if you are handy with electronics you can easily repurpose their harness and have a bunch of wire (and a switch) left over for another project. ;)

Having a quick connect near the bumper for the running lights is a great idea. I haven't even connected my ambers...and I probably won't.

Side note: These lights are flippin' amazing! The first time I lit them up I was blown away. It's like night turned into day. The low beam light was plenty. The highs were crazy!

Heres what they look like on mine. (Ignore the dirt...just got done towing it about 200 miles)

IMG_5333.jpeg
Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've been a BD customer and fan for years. I haven't found better lights in this category. Rigid is Chinese junk, IMO, after owning them as well.

As for these particular lights and the OPs comments about not being plug-n-play, IMO, these are extreme lights designed for high speed racing. They are also a lot of money. Not all JLs have the AUX switch panel. Not everyone wants their lights triggered the same way. I think they don't anticipate JL market will be large volume for a dedicated plug-n-play harness because of all these considerations.

Based on my past experience with their lights, I'm planning on installing 1 set of Squadron Pro combination wide/spot lights. I also have a set of Rigid SAE 3"x 3" fog light type beams that came off my truck, which may make it on my Jeep, and I'm considering some other lights. But really, a set of Squadron Pros and some fog lights and a set of decent headlights is more than adequate for me, based on my experience. It'll cover 70-80 mph lonely highways and my relatively low speed off-road more than adequately.

Baja Designs is still tops in my book.

OP
OP
pcpopcorn

pcpopcorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Firecracker Red
What you said doesn't make sense, unless I'm not understanding something (which may be the case). You said that using Aux 2 is overkill at 40A. Well, the problem is the Aux 3/4 lines are 15A max. Its also 16 (or 18) gage wire. If you add 6.5A + 1.0A (IPT) = 7.5A x 2 lights = 15A. You don't want to run 15 amps through a 15 amp circuit. There is no overhead for power spikes. You will be blowing fuses all day and, even worse, heating those tiny wires.

IF you really just want to use the Aux 3/4 buttons to power the lights, then I suggest you use a relay and run the main power right to the battery.

I agree! When I called them they said they have no plans for it. The good news is if you are handy with electronics you can easily repurpose their harness and have a bunch of wire (and a switch) left over for another project. ;)

Having a quick connect near the bumper for the running lights is a great idea. I haven't even connected my ambers...and I probably won't.

Side note: These lights are flippin' amazing! The first time I lit them up I was blown away. It's like night turned into day. The low beam light was plenty. The highs were crazy!

Heres what they look like on mine. (Ignore the dirt...just got done towing it about 200 miles)

IMG_5333.jpeg
This comment was Direct from Baja Not me
We were as confused as you are
Aux 2 is probably a little overkill since these lights don't draw close to 40A. All of the specifications are listed on the bottom half of the product page, here is the wattage/amps for the lights:

Specifications:
Forward Projecting Lumens: 8,600 Utilizing 6 LEDs
Forward Projecting Wattage/Amps: 90W / 6.5A
IPT Lumens: 1,700 Utilizing 4 LEDs
IPT Wattage/Amps: 15W / 1.0A

alexyu650

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
My comment about Plug and Play was based on my assumption(My Error)reading your posts and seeing you comment on this forum.
We did use the Harness and like I said the switch is on top of the battery cover and set to High.
I really do not like this set up and can only imagine a dealers view when they open the hood.
We wired your Red Wire from the harness to Aux #2 because your fuse was a 30 Amp fuse which we did not use(Was that correct?We could not find the Amp Draw for these lights)What is it?
Is it OK to Ground(Black Wire on Harness Directly to Battery Ground?)
I do not like the idea of making my own harness to use the Aux switches in the Jeep for High and Low for the following reason.
We understand if both High and Low settings were energized at the same time damage to the board could occur.I could see going down a bumpy trail at night and accident fumbling for the correct switch hitting a bump and both switches activated.
Last Question then a comment:
Is there a wire on the JL near the Battery for the running lights that anyone is aware of?
OK now for my comment
These lights are really cool with the High Low Feature and the Amber Light Running light Feature
That said I did not notice these attributes on your website.I think you should have this wiring info for a JL on your site
I think if you offered a simple light like the LP6 with a simple harness and Instructions for a JL you would hit a home run.
The Old acronym KIS =Keep It Simple
BTW
Because you did react so quickly to my Post I will tone it down and I invite you to edit as well :)

When I installed my mopar lights I asked the parts guy which aux switches to use, they told me to only use aux 3 and 4 for the mopar lights. The mopar instructions says the same thing. Maybe try aux 3 and 4?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Those of you installing lights that you may use on lonely highways, may want to consider a circuit design that allows you to dim all your auxillary lights at once when you dim your high beams, but also limit them from coming on with the high beams with a switch. Dimming all your high powered lights quickly and easily as well as turning them back on quickly is important if you use them on the highway. It's easy to do. Just put two relays in series on the power wire supplying power from your fuse panel. Trigger one relay with a switch like your Aux swith panel and trigger the other relay with a jumper from your high beam headlights. You can then use your headlights high beams alone or switch on the Aux and then your steering column mounted OEM high beam switch will turn on and off the auxillary lights. This keeps you from fumbling around reaching for a switch and your high beams when an oncoming car crests a rise.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Has anybody else installed and wired the LP6 lights? I'm about 90% ready to pull the trigger on a set of these tomorrow. I've been told by BD that they run hot enough that they won't freeze over like most LED lights, in the winter, as well.

I'm debating connecting these to the Aux switches or just using the BD switch. I just don't like having to run wires into the cab. I've got a manual transmission, so there's no plug in the firewall through which I can bring it. I'm leaning slightly toward the Aux switches.

Also, how easy is it to find the DRL wire or parking light wire to run the amber back lighting?

I've not had any trouble wiring other lights, but I'm also no electrical expert, so I'm a little nervous about putting this together with the aux switches.

One more thing...Anyone have more pics of these? I'm planning on putting them right on the steel bumper.

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 9.48.09 PM.png

LOVE my LP6's. I redid the wiring harness that Baja Designs supplied. I wired them so the lights turn on via AUX 1. I also use AUX 3 connected to a relay for the low/high beams. The comparison between these and the normal driving lights, even on high, are like night and day (literally). I now prefer to take back roads home where I no I'll never see another vehicle just so I can turn these on.

Also, great idea about wiring them to your high beams. Thats a simple process that I just might consider as well.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
I’m considering some LP6 Pros, and my Jeep is not equipped with the aux switches. I don’t know that I would use them anyway. I’m thinking:

Amber to DRL.
“Low” to normal fog light circuit
“High” to high beams via a relay and manual interruptor switch.

My thinking is as someone stated above: I only have to think about turning off my high beams if I encounter another vehicle on the road

What do current users think? Are the “low” beams on the LP6 useful as fog lights? Are they overkill?

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
“Low” to normal fog light circuit
I wouldn't want to lose my fog lights during normal operation. Plus if someone else happens to be driving my Jeep I'd hate for them to forget that the fog lights (with LP6's) on will blind oncoming traffic.

BTW, the harness BD sells comes with a physical switch you can install in your cab. It's not that difficult to run through the firewall.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
I wouldn't want to lose my fog lights during normal operation. Plus if someone else happens to be driving my Jeep I'd hate for them to forget that the fog lights (with LP6's) on will blind oncoming traffic.

BTW, the harness BD sells comes with a physical switch you can install in your cab. It's not that difficult to run through the firewall.
I lost my normal fog lights when I went to a ROAM bumper. Are you saying that even the low beams on the LP6 will blind oncoming traffic?

Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Are you saying that even the low beams on the LP6 will blind oncoming traffic?
Absolutely! I hardly use the high beams of the LP6s because the low is extremely bright. One of these days (not tonight) I'll take a picture of the intensity difference. You might be amazed at the difference.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Absolutely! I hardly use the high beams of the LP6s because the low is extremely bright. One of these days (not tonight) I'll take a picture of the intensity difference. You might be amazed at the difference.
Thank you! You may have saved me from making a costly mistake!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I see everyone who has posted appears to have gone with the Driving/Spot combo. Has anyone gone strictly with the spot light version? I'm just curious how much more light the spot version might throw down range. Then again, do you guys find the combo version shoots enough light down range? More than enough?

I'm getting ready to order these and the last hiccup is deciding between the two versions. (I'm not interested in the yellow.)

Thanks!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Update...I just ordered the combo beam. I found that you can purchase the spot lenses for about 35 bucks each, so if I feel I need more light thrown down range, I'll just do that. I've got a feeling that won't be needed, though.

I bought them at @Northridge4x4 with a 10% discount that ends tonight, so it was a pretty good deal. $846 with the wiring harness.

That's big bucks for lights, but I intend for them to be on the Jeep for years and years. I have an old set of @BajaDesigns Fuegos that I put on my JK around 2009 or so. They rusted out with the Indiana road salt. I sent them in and Baja Designs rebuilt them as good as brand new, under their lifetime warranty. I've still got them in a cabinet in my garage. I don't know if I'll use them or give them away, but they make great products and they stand by them.

They also told me these generate enough heat that they won't freeze over like other LED's, including my headlights.

Now I have to go mow some lawns or something to pay for these things! Lol!

bvita

First Name
Branden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 Tacoma TRD Pro
I've been a BD fan for a few years now. No complaints with their products, nor their customer service!

I'm actually thinking of keeping my lp6's for the jl now after seeing a few pics. Didn't think I'd be able to use these on the bumper
Sponsored