Baja Design Wiring Harness

Toemoe

First Name
Tomo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon
I recently purchased the Baja Design LP4 kit that includes 2 lights, 1 wiring harness for both light and a wiring harness for the backlight. I am a complete noob when it comes to anything electrical within the JL and would love some help from people that have experience.

I have a 2020 Rubicon Recon with the factory auxiliary switches. I want to hook up the lights to Aux 3 but the wiring harness from BD is throwing me off. Here is it look looks like:
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design Wiring Harness IMG_2171

So far I have figured out that 1 and 2 plug directly into the lights. 3 is the power and ground with a fuse. 4 is a relay and 5 is the BD switch. Can I remove 3, 4, and 5? Am I better off creating my own harness? If so, what will I need?

Like I said, I am a complete noob when it comes to wiring. If anything I said is incorrect, please feel free to call me out. I am trying to do this myself and learn in the process.
Sponsored

Flyper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU Rubicon
I am also a noobie and hooked up some Baja lights with that exact harness just a few days ago. I connected the positive wire from your #3 to the Aux 3 wire (the orange one) and the ground wire from your #3 to a ground point on the side and just bundled the other connectors together. All works great. I used this video for guidance on the Aux connection.

OP
OP
Toemoe

Toemoe

First Name
Tomo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon
I am also a noobie and hooked up some Baja lights with that exact harness just a few days ago. I connected the positive wire from your #3 to the Aux 3 wire (the orange one) and the ground wire from your #3 to a ground point on the side and just bundled the other connectors together. All works great. I used this video for guidance on the Aux connection.
This is extremely helpful! Thank you!

So you didn't cut any of the wires you did not use? For example, the Baja Design switch or #5 in my picture. You just bundled it all together?

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
I recently purchased the Baja Design LP4 kit that includes 2 lights, 1 wiring harness for both light and a wiring harness for the backlight. I am a complete noob when it comes to anything electrical within the JL and would love some help from people that have experience.

I have a 2020 Rubicon Recon with the factory auxiliary switches. I want to hook up the lights to Aux 3 but the wiring harness from BD is throwing me off. Here is it look looks like:
IMG_2171.jpg

So far I have figured out that 1 and 2 plug directly into the lights. 3 is the power and ground with a fuse. 4 is a relay and 5 is the BD switch. Can I remove 3, 4, and 5? Am I better off creating my own harness? If so, what will I need?

Like I said, I am a complete noob when it comes to wiring. If anything I said is incorrect, please feel free to call me out. I am trying to do this myself and learn in the process.
You should remove the switch at the very least, the fuse is redundant.

Sponsored

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I chopped the hell out of mine after a call to BD. Since you have the switches already you can ditch everything but the wire to ground and the red and white. One of the two is for the back lit yellow. I put that to a different switch, not supposed to run those at the same time according to the destructions.

OP
OP
Toemoe

Toemoe

First Name
Tomo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon
I chopped the hell out of mine after a call to BD. Since you have the switches already you can ditch everything but the wire to ground and the red and white. One of the two is for the back lit yellow. I put that to a different switch, not supposed to run those at the same time according to the destructions.
Thats super helpful. Thank you! I might just give them a call to confirm everything before I start wiring. What number did you call? Were they helpful?

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
Thats super helpful. Thank you! I might just give them a call to confirm everything before I start wiring. What number did you call? Were they helpful?
I just called the number on the website. I believe I talked with a guy named Matt, but it has been a while. I put mine on a few months back.

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design Wiring Harness IMG_2171

So where did you end up cutting the BD wiring harness? I have mine installed but with all of the extra cables (inc. fuse/switch). i now want to clean it up by removing all of the extras and connecting it to the BadgeGlow Simple Aux board for a cleaner set up.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
So where did you end up cutting the BD wiring harness? I have mine installed but with all of the extra cables (inc. fuse/switch). i now want to clean it up by removing all of the extras and connecting it to the BadgeGlow Simple Aux board for a cleaner set up.
It's looks like that was one of those members who gets an answer to an issue and than splits until another issue comes up. Allow me to step in, as I've got some BD lights on my Jeep.

If your aux switch system already has its own built in dedicated relays and fuses, like the factory aux does, you can cut the harness right at the end of the lamp wires, right before they converge at the Baja relay and fuse section of the harness. If you don't need that much length, cut closer to the lamps.

Cheers, buddy!

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
It's looks like that was one of those members who gets an answer to an issue and than splits until another issue comes up. Allow me to step in, as I've got some BD lights on my Jeep.

If your aux switch system already has its own built in dedicated relays and fuses, like the factory aux does, you can cut the harness right at the end of the lamp wires, right before they converge at the Baja relay and fuse section of the harness. If you don't need that much length, cut closer to the lamps.

Cheers, buddy!
If you don’t mind, would you mark in red where to cut on the following picture diagram.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design Wiring Harness 1667167490884

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If you don’t mind, would you mark in red where to cut on the following picture diagram.

Plugs 1 and 2 go directly in the back of the lamps. Cut as much or as little of those leads that you need to reach your aux systems hookup point.

3 (inline fuse), 4 (relay), and 5 (toggle switch) are inly necessary when installing in a vehicle that doesnt already have an aux switch system.

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
Plugs 1 and 2 go directly in the back of the lamps. Cut as much or as little of those leads that you need to reach your aux systems hookup point.

3 (inline fuse), 4 (relay), and 5 (toggle switch) are inly necessary when installing in a vehicle that doesnt already have an aux switch system.
Thank you so much!
Sponsored