First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Wanted to share the electrical connection to Baja Design LP6 using the factory Aux1 and Aux2 switch. This circuit insures that Lo and Hi beams (pin 1 and 4) are never energized together at the same time. I used 2 automotive relays, one of them was setup to isolate high and low beam, similar to the Baja circuit recommendation. I tapped the Amber backlight to the parking light so it would only come on when I have the parking light or headlights on.

Disclainer: Implementing this circuit will requires soldering and some technical electronic understanding of relay and how they function. I am sure there are other methods, including using a DPDT switch instead but this is more about what I did to get it to work without the possibility of damaging the LP6.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010477.JPG

The re-wiring was pretty simple to implement.

Parts used:
Jeep JL/JT, Rubicon Steel Bumper Kit, LP6. SKU: 447671
5 Pack -30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V (from Amazon)
1/8" and 1/4" heat shrink tubing (from Amazon)

Back ground:
I ordered the LP6 kit for the JL which included the wiring harness with a toggle switch and the 2x LP6 lights. After mounting the LP6 to my steel bumper, I realize the wiring kit included requires mounting a toggle switch inside the cabin to switch between High Beam and Low Beam. Since I already have the Aux switches inside my jeep, I was not going to do that.

Ok well, easy, just connect Lo beam to Aux1 and Hi beam to Aux2 right? WRONG. Baja Design stated that Lo beam and Hi beam must not be energized at the same time. If for some reason, I hit the Aux1 switch to turn on the Lo beam and later want to use the Hi beam, I would have to always remember to de-active the Aux1 switch prior to pressing the Aux2 switch and vice versa. That is a mistake waiting to happen especially when I am busy driving off road. I decided to build a circuit that would make Aux2 (Hi beam) take precedence when both Aux1 and Aux2 switches are activated. Basically the wiring kit included was useless...well, not completely. I was able to use the pre-wired Deutsch connector with the extra long harness. I had to order extra automotive relays to complete the new design.

The Circuit.
This circuit uses a dedicated SPDT relay to isolate Hi beam and Lo beam. This guaranty that only the Hi or the Lo beam will be energize at a time and never simultaneously as required by Baja Desgin.

Here is the truth table for all the scenarios of the Aux1/Aux2 and expected Hi/Lo beam output operation. Basically when both Aux2 and Aux1 are energized, the Hi beam will take priority.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber BajaDesignLP6truth

The relay circuit is here: Pretty simple to wire up. The circuit shows a connection to a single Deutsch connector to reduce clutter on the diagram. To connect to the 2nd LP6, simply connect the wires up in parallel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber BajaDesignLP6

Here is what it looks like after wiring everything up.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010473.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010475.JPG

For the Amber backup light, I tapped it to the passenger side fender LED. The first wire in the fender LED assembly energized when the parking or headlight is enabled. Works very well with no problems. I had to remove 2x 10mm screws holding the inner fender in to access the fender LED wires. Here is the picture.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010478.JPG

I tapped the 1st wire as shown in the picture.

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010480.JPG

RT
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
After several days of testing I blew the fuse on the Aux3 and Aux4 so decided to measure the current drawn for Hi or Lo beams without any relay load.

Low beams, both LP6 on: 10.4A
High beams, both LP6 on: 25.8A

It is apparent that Aux3 and Aux4 is not enough to power the LP6 because the inline fuse is only 15A. The original circuit has been changed to use Aux1 and Aux2.

If you insist on using Aux3 and Aux4 because Aux1 and Aux2 are occupied then here is the updated diagram that can use Aux3 and Aux4 and the LP6 is then powered by the 12V battery directly.

Here is the revised circuit using Aux3 and Aux4 to control the light but the main power comes from the 12v main battery.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber BajaDesignLP6v2

RT

Last edited:

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Thanks for the detail, I have had this bookmarked until I had time to read and absorb it (today).

I am confused which Aux switches you used, 1+2 or 3+4 and why. I think it's 1+2 because they are higher amp carry and required only the first diagram, not the second. But correct me if I am wrong. I think if you use the 1+2, you can use the first diagram, and you don't need to use the second one.

Do you have a more simplified wiring diagram? I just am not following where each of the 2 relays are in the diagram (I am used to seeing a "box" for a relay, with the external connections shown, kind of like how you have the Deutsch connector shown).

Thanks in advance.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
After several days of testing I blew the fuse on the Aux3 and Aux4 so decided to measure the current drawn for Hi or Lo beams without any relay load.

Low beams, both LP6 on: 10.4A
High beams, both LP6 on: 25.8A

It is apparent that Aux3 and Aux4 is not enough to power the LP6 because the inline fuse is only 15A. The original circuit has been changed to use Aux1 and Aux2.

If you insist on using Aux3 and Aux4 because Aux1 and Aux2 are occupied then here is the updated diagram that can use Aux3 and Aux4 and the LP6 is then powered by the 12V battery directly.

Here is the revised circuit using Aux3 and Aux4 to control the light but the main power comes from the 12v main battery.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber BajaDesignLP6v2

RT
Another variation....

The reason you are blowing both fuses is that you are not breaking before making both circuits; so the low-beam Aux switch is also powering the high beams for a brief period during the switch over.

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Thanks for the detail, I have had this bookmarked until I had time to read and absorb it (today).

I am confused which Aux switches you used, 1+2 or 3+4 and why. I think it's 1+2 because they are higher amp carry and required only the first diagram, not the second. But correct me if I am wrong. I think if you use the 1+2, you can use the first diagram, and you don't need to use the second one.

Do you have a more simplified wiring diagram? I just am not following where each of the 2 relays are in the diagram (I am used to seeing a "box" for a relay, with the external connections shown, kind of like how you have the Deutsch connector shown).

Thanks in advance.
[/kkkkkkkQUOTE]LYeHi k

Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

Thanks in advance.
That is correct. The 1st diagram is for use with Aux1 and Aux2 because it will supply enough current and not blow the fuse.
The 2nd diagram is what I have since switched and uses Aux3 and Aux 4. This 2nd diagram is how I rewired and is working also.

Let me see if I can draw up something with more simplified. DM me if you need more help. Its pretty simple as long as you know how to crimp wires together or solder.

RT

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
That is correct. The 1st diagram is for use with Aux1 and Aux2 because it will supply enough current and not blow the fuse.
The 2nd diagram is what I have since switched and uses Aux3 and Aux 4. This 2nd diagram is how I rewired and is working also.

Let me see if I can draw up something with more simplified. DM me if you need more help. Its pretty simple as long as you know how to crimp wires together or solder.

RT
Thank you. I figured I wouldn't be the only one needing to benefit from this so I posted it here.

Years ago I made a harness from scratch (yes scratch) for my CJ7 so I am familiar with wiring and such, just this one was a bit confusing for me.

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Another variation....

The reason you are blowing both fuses is that you are not breaking before making both circuits; so the low-beam Aux switch is also powering the high beams for a brief period during the switch over.
Note for others who may be trying to follow: This is referring back to the original design with aux3 and aux4. Does not apply to current aux1/aux2 revision.

Just to clarify. 1st relay determines where to draw the current, either aux3 or aux4 depending on which is active or if both, it will pick aux3 by design.
2nd relay is the isolation relay, required by Baja Design and guaranty that either Pin1 or Pin4 gets the power, never both. (Lo or Hi but not both)

What happenned after a long period of use?
Both fuse blew each at a time because the circuit was design to take advanatage of either Aux3 and Aux4 powering the high beam and reduce wiring clutter. Here is the scenario. So if I have both Aux3 and Aux4 switched on, the Hi beam will take presidence and draw 25A current from Aux3. Aux3 fuse will eventually blow. However, if I switch to Aux3 off but leave Aux4 on, the Hi beam will switch and draw 25A from Aux4 which will blow eventually blow the Aux4 fuse.

Concept is a bit tricky but the finaly relay will isolate and prevent the LP6 from receiving both high and low beam inputs.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Note for others who may be trying to follow: This is referring back to the original design with aux3 and aux4. Does not apply to current aux1/aux2 revision.

Just to clarify. 1st relay determines where to draw the current, either aux3 or aux4 depending on which is active or if both, it will pick aux3 by design.
2nd relay is the isolation relay, required by Baja Design and guaranty that either Pin1 or Pin4 gets the power, never both. (Lo or Hi but not both)

What happenned after a long period of use?
Both fuse blew each at a time because the circuit was design to take advanatage of either Aux3 and Aux4 powering the high beam and reduce wiring clutter. Here is the scenario. So if I have both Aux3 and Aux4 switched on, the Hi beam will take presidence and draw 25A current from Aux3. Aux3 fuse will eventually blow. However, if I switch to Aux3 off but leave Aux4 on, the Hi beam will switch and draw 25A from Aux4 which will blow eventually blow the Aux4 fuse.

Concept is a bit tricky but the finaly relay will isolate and prevent the LP6 from receiving both high and low beam inputs.
A simpler setup is to use one of the 40A aux as "low on". Then use one of the 15A aux as "high on" and it simply switches the above from the low to high pin via relay. Only one relay needed.

You could reverse the above to "high on" as the default and press the other aux to put into "low" mode.

I have wired up a variation of this but tied into the headlight high beams to switch between "low" and "high" on the LP's. So Aux turns them on low, and when headlights go to high the LP's follow. Also a ONX6 that does the same, off another Aux to turn on, and then low/high based on headlights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Thank you. I figured I wouldn't be the only one needing to benefit from this so I posted it here.

Years ago I made a harness from scratch (yes scratch) for my CJ7 so I am familiar with wiring and such, just this one was a bit confusing for me.
Here is a simplified diagram with views looking from the bottom of the relay.

A simpler setup is to use one of the 40A aux as "low on". Then use one of the 15A aux as "high on" and it simply switches the above from the low to high pin via relay. Only one relay needed.

You could reverse the above to "high on" as the default and press the other aux to put into "low" mode.

I have wired up a variation of this but tied into the headlight high beams to switch been "low" and "high" on the LP's. So Aux turns them on low, and when headlights go to high the LP's follow. Also a ONX6 that does the same, off another Aux to turn on, and then low/high based on headlights.

I have wired up a variation of this but tied into the headlight high beams to switch been "low" and "high" on the LP's. So Aux turns them on low, and when headlights go to high the LP's follow. Also a ONX6 that does the same, off another Aux to turn on, and then low/high based on headlights.

Very true and simplfied but with the 1 relay setup, you will need to keep Aux1 switched on to power either Lo or Hi. That method works, yes but the intent of the 2 relay was to be able to activate Hi beam with just 1 switch or low beam with 1 switch. If both are pressed accidentally, Hi beam would take stay on. I can then put a label on the Aux switch that says Lo Beam over Aux 3 and Hi Beam over Aux 4.

Either way will work. I do like the idea of tapping the Jeep's high/Lo beam and using Aux1 to activate the light.

RT

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering

Here is a simplified diagram showing the actual Relays and the supplied Deutsch connectors. Let me know if this helps.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber Simplfied

or if this is better:

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber simplfied2

RT

Last edited:

Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
That's perfect thank you!

And just to be clear, the Deutsch connectors, you are not showing the 3 (running lights) and 2 (ground). But I understand.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber LP6.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
That's perfect thank you!

And just to be clear, the Deutsch connectors, you are not showing the 3 (running lights) and 2 (ground). But I understand.
Yes I omitted to reduce all those wires. It just gets too busy in the diagram.

Good luck!

RT

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
I thought i would provide a demo of the LP6 and switches in action.

Here is Jeep Headlights low beams only

Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010592.JPG

Jeep Headlights high beams only
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010593.JPG

Baja Design LP6 low beams. No headlights.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010594.JPG

Baja Design LP6 high beams. No headlight.
Jeep Wrangler JL Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber L1010595.JPG

Here is a video of the switches in action. Aux 3 and Aux 4
Aux 3 activates Low Beam on LP6
Aux 4 activates High Beam on LP6

If both are activated, the high beam take precedence.

RT

Last edited:

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Coming back to this. I spoke with Baja Designs yesterday, and they do in fact make a wire harness that does exactly what we are talking about here.

It locks out accidental low and high beam at the same time
It plugs right into the lights
It is set up to wire directly into the upfitter wires in the Jeep JL
The wire lengths are set up for the JL/JT.

Here is the link. I ordered it and will install it when my lights arrive and I have my Jeep (April).
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP-Series-Upfitter-Lock-Out-Harness.asp

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
Coming back to this. I spoke with Baja Designs yesterday, and they do in fact make a wire harness that does exactly what we are talking about here.

It locks out accidental low and high beam at the same time
It plugs right into the lights
It is set up to wire directly into the upfitter wires in the Jeep JL
The wire lengths are set up for the JL/JT.

Here is the link. I ordered it and will install it when my lights arrive and I have my Jeep (April).
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP-Series-Upfitter-Lock-Out-Harness.asp
ok, when you get it let us know. The harness that came with my LP6 kit was not plug and play and required I install a separate switch to turn hi/lo/off which I am not going to do since I already have the Aux switches.

Thanks,
RT
Sponsored