Baja Design LP6 wiring complete circuit with Aux3 and Aux4 + Amber

paulverdi

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
Coming back to this. I spoke with Baja Designs yesterday, and they do in fact make a wire harness that does exactly what we are talking about here.

It locks out accidental low and high beam at the same time
It plugs right into the lights
It is set up to wire directly into the upfitter wires in the Jeep JL
The wire lengths are set up for the JL/JT.

Here is the link. I ordered it and will install it when my lights arrive and I have my Jeep (April).
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/LP-Series-Upfitter-Lock-Out-Harness.asp
Just received my lights and lockout harness - waiting for things to warm up before trying to install - am thinking of having the low beams activated on Aux 1 and high beams on Aux 3 - do you happen to know if the harness will will switch to high beams if both buttons are pushed?
Sponsored

pnut

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler 392 XR
Just received my lights and lockout harness - waiting for things to warm up before trying to install - am thinking of having the low beams activated on Aux 1 and high beams on Aux 3 - do you happen to know if the harness will will switch to high beams if both buttons are pushed?
In theory from how it was explained to me by BD yes. Because it will again in theory divert to the high beams, turning the voltage off for the low beams, in the situation both switches are on.

But I would have to defer to Baja Designs to confirm if that is how they actually designed it to work and the wiring details.

RealMcCoy

First Name
Kevin McCoy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator JT
Fantastic explanation for sure. Even I could understand that wiring setup. Just so you folks know, I have difficulty changing out a light bulb in my houseā€¦
LOL

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Wanted to share the electrical connection to Baja Design LP6 using the factory Aux1 and Aux2 switch. This circuit insures that Lo and Hi beams (pin 1 and 4) are never energized together at the same time. I used 2 automotive relays, one of them was setup to isolate high and low beam, similar to the Baja circuit recommendation. I tapped the Amber backlight to the parking light so it would only come on when I have the parking light or headlights on.

Disclainer: Implementing this circuit will requires soldering and some technical electronic understanding of relay and how they function. I am sure there are other methods, including using a DPDT switch instead but this is more about what I did to get it to work without the possibility of damaging the LP6.
L1010477.JPG

The re-wiring was pretty simple to implement.

Parts used:
Jeep JL/JT, Rubicon Steel Bumper Kit, LP6. SKU: 447671
5 Pack -30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V (from Amazon)
1/8" and 1/4" heat shrink tubing (from Amazon)

Back ground:
I ordered the LP6 kit for the JL which included the wiring harness with a toggle switch and the 2x LP6 lights. After mounting the LP6 to my steel bumper, I realize the wiring kit included requires mounting a toggle switch inside the cabin to switch between High Beam and Low Beam. Since I already have the Aux switches inside my jeep, I was not going to do that.

Ok well, easy, just connect Lo beam to Aux1 and Hi beam to Aux2 right? WRONG. Baja Design stated that Lo beam and Hi beam must not be energized at the same time. If for some reason, I hit the Aux1 switch to turn on the Lo beam and later want to use the Hi beam, I would have to always remember to de-active the Aux1 switch prior to pressing the Aux2 switch and vice versa. That is a mistake waiting to happen especially when I am busy driving off road. I decided to build a circuit that would make Aux2 (Hi beam) take precedence when both Aux1 and Aux2 switches are activated. Basically the wiring kit included was useless...well, not completely. I was able to use the pre-wired Deutsch connector with the extra long harness. I had to order extra automotive relays to complete the new design.

The Circuit.
This circuit uses a dedicated SPDT relay to isolate Hi beam and Lo beam. This guaranty that only the Hi or the Lo beam will be energize at a time and never simultaneously as required by Baja Desgin.

Here is the truth table for all the scenarios of the Aux1/Aux2 and expected Hi/Lo beam output operation. Basically when both Aux2 and Aux1 are energized, the Hi beam will take priority.
BajaDesignLP6truth.jpg

The relay circuit is here: Pretty simple to wire up. The circuit shows a connection to a single Deutsch connector to reduce clutter on the diagram. To connect to the 2nd LP6, simply connect the wires up in parallel.
BajaDesignLP6.jpg

Here is what it looks like after wiring everything up.

L1010473.JPG

L1010475.JPG

For the Amber backup light, I tapped it to the passenger side fender LED. The first wire in the fender LED assembly energized when the parking or headlight is enabled. Works very well with no problems. I had to remove 2x 10mm screws holding the inner fender in to access the fender LED wires. Here is the picture.
L1010478.JPG

I tapped the 1st wire as shown in the picture.

L1010480.JPG

RT
When you say you tapped the 1st wire, do you mean the one closest to the engine, or furthest out? Itā€™s hard to tell in the pic. Iā€™m doing the amber tap tomorrow and clarification here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mcolbyb

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Sting-Ray
Wanted to share the electrical connection to Baja Design LP6 using the factory Aux1 and Aux2 switch. This circuit insures that Lo and Hi beams (pin 1 and 4) are never energized together at the same time. I used 2 automotive relays, one of them was setup to isolate high and low beam, similar to the Baja circuit recommendation. I tapped the Amber backlight to the parking light so it would only come on when I have the parking light or headlights on.

Disclainer: Implementing this circuit will requires soldering and some technical electronic understanding of relay and how they function. I am sure there are other methods, including using a DPDT switch instead but this is more about what I did to get it to work without the possibility of damaging the LP6.
L1010477.JPG

The re-wiring was pretty simple to implement.

Parts used:
Jeep JL/JT, Rubicon Steel Bumper Kit, LP6. SKU: 447671
5 Pack -30/40 AMP Relay Harness Spdt 12V (from Amazon)
1/8" and 1/4" heat shrink tubing (from Amazon)

Back ground:
I ordered the LP6 kit for the JL which included the wiring harness with a toggle switch and the 2x LP6 lights. After mounting the LP6 to my steel bumper, I realize the wiring kit included requires mounting a toggle switch inside the cabin to switch between High Beam and Low Beam. Since I already have the Aux switches inside my jeep, I was not going to do that.

Ok well, easy, just connect Lo beam to Aux1 and Hi beam to Aux2 right? WRONG. Baja Design stated that Lo beam and Hi beam must not be energized at the same time. If for some reason, I hit the Aux1 switch to turn on the Lo beam and later want to use the Hi beam, I would have to always remember to de-active the Aux1 switch prior to pressing the Aux2 switch and vice versa. That is a mistake waiting to happen especially when I am busy driving off road. I decided to build a circuit that would make Aux2 (Hi beam) take precedence when both Aux1 and Aux2 switches are activated. Basically the wiring kit included was useless...well, not completely. I was able to use the pre-wired Deutsch connector with the extra long harness. I had to order extra automotive relays to complete the new design.

The Circuit.
This circuit uses a dedicated SPDT relay to isolate Hi beam and Lo beam. This guaranty that only the Hi or the Lo beam will be energize at a time and never simultaneously as required by Baja Desgin.

Here is the truth table for all the scenarios of the Aux1/Aux2 and expected Hi/Lo beam output operation. Basically when both Aux2 and Aux1 are energized, the Hi beam will take priority.
BajaDesignLP6truth.jpg

The relay circuit is here: Pretty simple to wire up. The circuit shows a connection to a single Deutsch connector to reduce clutter on the diagram. To connect to the 2nd LP6, simply connect the wires up in parallel.
BajaDesignLP6.jpg

Here is what it looks like after wiring everything up.

L1010473.JPG

L1010475.JPG

For the Amber backup light, I tapped it to the passenger side fender LED. The first wire in the fender LED assembly energized when the parking or headlight is enabled. Works very well with no problems. I had to remove 2x 10mm screws holding the inner fender in to access the fender LED wires. Here is the picture.
L1010478.JPG

I tapped the 1st wire as shown in the picture.

L1010480.JPG

RT
was that the white and brown wire?

Sponsored

stormymk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the process of starting to wire up my LP6 lights and was trying to follow the Amp requirements and how they are tied to each Aux switch.

I would like to use one 40A and one 15A, so Switch 1 and 3 for instance. It looks like this may be possible without going directly to the battery in the second scenario you mapped out.

How I am reading this, it seems that the higher amps is being triggered off the aux that is being used for low beam operation vs being off the switch for high beam operation due to the relay connection. Do I have this right?

Ideally I would like to make Aux 1 High, Aux 3 Low so they are stacked on top of each other as such for quick reference. Would this be possible and what wires would need to change to make this happen? Would I need to make the High aux the always on switch, so in my scenario Aux 3 and then make the low beam Aux 1?

If I have your wire diagram right, this would mean where you state "To Aux2" that would go to "Aux1" and what you currently have going "To Aux1" would go to Aux3.

Can anyone confirm if I have everything right above?

OP
OP
RTCalifornia

RTCalifornia

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 X3 M40i, 2019 M4 Cv Comp, 2013 Abarth
Occupation
Multi Cloud Engineering
I am in the process of starting to wire up my LP6 lights and was trying to follow the Amp requirements and how they are tied to each Aux switch.

I would like to use one 40A and one 15A, so Switch 1 and 3 for instance. It looks like this may be possible without going directly to the battery in the second scenario you mapped out.

How I am reading this, it seems that the higher amps is being triggered off the aux that is being used for low beam operation vs being off the switch for high beam operation due to the relay connection. Do I have this right?

Ideally I would like to make Aux 1 High, Aux 3 Low so they are stacked on top of each other as such for quick reference. Would this be possible and what wires would need to change to make this happen? Would I need to make the High aux the always on switch, so in my scenario Aux 3 and then make the low beam Aux 1?

If I have your wire diagram right, this would mean where you state "To Aux2" that would go to "Aux1" and what you currently have going "To Aux1" would go to Aux3.

Can anyone confirm if I have everything right above?
Hi Stormymk

The 15 amp fuse is not sufficient. Ready my #7 post where I passed the current through it and eventually blew the fuse.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-with-aux3-and-aux4-amber.65919/#post-1403364
Sponsored