Baja boss MT for daily driving?

RubiCube5

First Name
Leopold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m strongly considering getting the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT as my upgrade to 35 tire. However, I heard mixed reviews on their road performance. Some say they’re not noisey while others say they are. Looking for experiences and feedback on these tires???
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m strongly considering getting the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss MT as my upgrade to 35 tire. However, I heard mixed reviews on their road performance. Some say they’re not noisey while others say they are. Looking for experiences and feedback on these tires???
Just had these installed a few days ago.....so not much feedback to give you.

I currently have them set at 37psi. My jeep is pretty heavy and will be loaded down with camping and off road gear in a few days. After my off road trip, I may lower the air pressure a bit. I typically do a "chalk test" to find optimal psi, but didn't do it with these. The tread appears to be crowned a bit and a chalk test doesn't work with this type of tread design.

While driving today (first drive after setting them at 37psi), they were fairly quiet while going straight. But as I was taking curves at 50-60mph, I could hear a bit of tread whine. They weren't loud by any means and I have been pleasantly surprised at the low noise. They aren't as quiet as an AT of course, but considering how aggressive the tread is, they're perfectly fine for a daily driver (which mine is).

I don't know the balancing specs off-hand, but they've been smooth up to 80mph.

They're a high quality tire and I'm happy with them. I'll find out this weekend how they do in the rocks.
IMG_0986.jpeg

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from the Rubicon and these tires are EXCELLENT for rocks! Not only do they roll smoothly at 80-85mph, but they grip better than the Nitto Trail Grapplers I just replaced. I watched similar rigs on KM3's, MTR's, STT Pros, and others slip, slide, and need a lot of wheel speed to get over some big rocks. Not these. They just stuck to the rocks and continued to climb. There is a very steep granite slab just past Gatekeeper where the spotter was telling everyone to "floor it" once their front tires were up and on top of the ledge. A lot of different tires were searching for traction, using a lot of wheel speed and steering back and forth. The BB MTpulled us right on up and over, never hunting for traction.

I ran 13psi in all 4 tires with no beadlocks all weekend. The tires got pinched between rocks multiple times and never tore, ripped, or lost air. None of the tread blocks are torn or chipped.

IMG_1128.jpeg

After driving to and from the trail, I will say they are louder than most other normal MT tread. But if you need/want excellent off road traction along with great on road manners, these are it.

Another Jeep had 35" Baja Boss AT's and he also reported excellent grip and the ability to run low air pressures without issue.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
I’m getting 37” tires installed next week and will report back

Bloody Marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP 2 DR WILLYS 21, CHEVY TRAIL BOSS 19
Absolutely love mine. Minimal off-roading so far as I haven't had this Jeep long. I run them at 32psi on road. Some road noise but they are MT's. Mine is only a "sometimes daily driver" as I drive my truck also.
AND, they are badass looking!!!

Lifted up.jpg

Lifted Low.jpg

Sponsored

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I've got about 10k miles on my 37s and no complaints on road or off. Got a couple long road trips (one to Moab and one to Ouray) with lots of wheeling there and locally. They're starting to get a little chewed up on the tread but I think they're still in better shape than the ko2s were after a few light wheeling trips and a couple thousand miles. Sidewalls still look great even though my wheels are looking kinda rough.

They're mud tires so they make some noise but not bad. Probably the same noise level as my KM3s but a slightly different pitch. I would buy another set.

IMG_20210801_125200_387.jpg

Kev84

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Baja Boss M/Ts to replace my Ridge Grapplers. It is not a complete daily driver but I do have 8-16hr drives to get to the trails I love out west. I hope they are not so loud I cannot hear the radio.
Jeeps are already pretty noisy on the highway maybe that will drown out the sound of the MTs..
My ridge grapplers have a hum now

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on the Baja Boss M/Ts to replace my Ridge Grapplers. It is not a complete daily driver but I do have 8-16hr drives to get to the trails I love out west. I hope they are not so loud I cannot hear the radio.
Jeeps are already pretty noisy on the highway maybe that will drown out the sound of the MTs..
My ridge grapplers have a hum now
They're not very loud. You'll still be able to hear your radio, have a conversation on the radio, etc.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
They have a hum but not too loud imo, but I do have a hard top with insulation and the Alpine stereo with sound canceling.
Sponsored