Sponsored

Badlands in Attica, IN - New to Wheeling - Advice?

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys
Hi all, we have a mostly stock JLU Willys and are heading to the Badlands off road park on Tuesday. We're not looking to do any real rock crawling, maybe some small ledges on trail or something. We do have a winch - hoping to not need it though. We'll have three kids with too... so hoping there are some wooded areas with trails that are beginner friendly. Maybe some shallow water / river riding? Things the kids will like that won't damage the ride is what we're looking for. :)
Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored

offrampclimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon
It has all of the above. Trails, creeks, woods, sand dunes, rocky slopes, MUD...

I have not been there in quite a long time, but it was surprisingly accommodating to all rig and skill levels. Look for the water tunnels that empties directly into a creek; your kids will probably love that.

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands in Attica, IN - New to Wheeling - Advice? DSC00740

This was 2007, so I don't know what's changed. But it was the first place I spotted a JK off road.

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands in Attica, IN - New to Wheeling - Advice? DSC00736

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
The Badlands is a fun park. You will have a blast. Where the pipes are, head up stream and make the climb up into the rock quarry. You can do it stock and it is a fun trail.

OP
OP
dmen

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Heading there shortly!

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Heading there shortly!
Post some follow-up with your thoughts and pictures, if you wouldn't mind. I'm heading there for the Jeep Academy thing in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The Badlands is a great park for beginners because a huge majority of it is very easy. There are acres and acres of sand dunes, but there's also a few wooded trails and an area we call the "mud flats" where you can sink in the mud if you like.

The big problem I had with the Badlands is 1) it's extremely expensive and 2) their method of operation sucks. When we went it was June. The sun is up at 6:30 a.m. and it doesn't get dark until 10:15 p.m. Yet, they only allow you to ride from 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. So, effectively you're losing FIVE HOURS of riding time each day, but they make you pay MORE money than other parks that don't have hours like that. It's bull****.

But yeah, as far as the riding goes, it's a great place for a beginner. I wouldn't want to go there regularly though because it's a somewhat small place and you can ride everything in a day more than once.

OP
OP
dmen

dmen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Willys
Post some follow-up with your thoughts and pictures, if you wouldn't mind. I'm heading there for the Jeep Academy thing in a couple of months. Looking forward to it.
Finally got around to editing a little video together. Video on YouTube
We had kids so stayed on more tame trails, but the place was awesome. Definitely will be going back.
Sponsored