Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Hopefully people find this helpful.

Vehicle: 2021 4xe Rubicon
Winch: Badlands Apex 12k synthetic rope
Mounting: factory steel bumper with Rockhard 4x4 mounting plate

starting out:
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 32422919-A436-4368-A5A8-B468F497D187

Measurement before upgrades on passenger front:

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 17F4024D-C44C-4AE7-A735-871B97E9862A

first was to get everything off. Removal wasn’t bad, but the bolts mounting the bumper to the frame horns were not all straight which made it a little wiggle to remove

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate BC682110-DC35-4D46-AF45-26D13A5F6D0E

Then the problems started The plate did not fit the bolts at all. I beat and beat on it with a rubber hammer and loosened every torx bolt on the steel bumper to get every millimeter of play. While this sounds like a small deal, and it kind of was, it took an hour just to get the plate on. I thought that would have been a 20 second task like in Rockhard’s video and just slide on.

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 4D345F23-F71F-4D66-BCC3-950CC80B4D91
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 0E46886F-B502-46E6-B105-81A5A28627AD

I didn’t get pictures but this was immediately followed by the next problem, the bolts for the hawse fairlead do not fit. Save yourself the time of trying everything possible and just go buy new bolts. Kit comes with 1.75 in bolts, 2 in bolts is the min, 2.25 (store didn’t have) I would have done but 2.5 was a bit long IMO. Again what I thought was a simple 2 min part of install took almost 2 hours which included a run to Lowes, 1 mile from my house. I could have saved 1 of those hours by simply not trying everything I could think of to make the bolts work and looking around my misc bolt bin to no avail.

once mounted Rockhards video is for a warn winch which must be a touch wide, no matter, no need to have someone hold the wich in place while you bring the bumper up, I just mounted all then had a neighbor help me get it Up.
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 99B57B1D-1797-4F8D-AC98-7FE3FD57F7E4

In the above pic you can see I forgot to pull the line through the bumper, don’t be like me because I had to un mount and remount to pull it through, space is tight!!

next, remember how I said it was a little wiggle to get the bumper off? And the mounting plate seemed out of spec? Well the little bit of movement in the bolts made it hell to get back on. With help we must have mounted/remounted it 5 or 6 times just to get all the bolts barely in. The only way to get the bumper fully on was to start the nuts and wrench it down. Again added a solid 30 min to my day. A 16mm ratchet wrench would have also saved additional time here. All I had was and adjustable wrench, no ratchet/socket would fit to reach at least one of the bolts each side.

once I got it all on, I thought it would be easy to just put it all together, but it still took a lot more. The plate doesn’t allow any room behind the winch for where the wiring exits the control box, so we improvised.
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate DBC727B8-135E-41F4-BFD8-80031194799D
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 8D951239-78B6-487A-8ADD-E05E17FCB446

Also as you might notice the winch basically touches the grill, I had to add 2 extra washers on the back mounting bolts to increase the angle enough to have about 2 pieces of paper width from touching.
Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 1BFCFFCA-625D-4B5A-B8E7-780E0D1F110E

The lower mounting bracket also seen in the previous pic didn’t fit perfect and seemed out of spec, another I barely got one bolt borderline cross threaded at an angle in while using a floor jack with a board on the back of the plate. Only then was I able to get the other bolt in, back out the first and seat them both properly. And no my top bolt was not tightened down completely while doing that to allow movement.

next up was wiring, it actually wasn’t hard. I removed the passenger fender liner and air box to have room to work

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate 652FFA2A-8B17-442E-B80E-CC9C6D8B86E6

I didn’t picture my wiring because I will be buying a switch to hook up to an aux switch in the cab in the future.

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate AEC35275-FBBF-497E-8957-51A78DE897D5

Finally done, time to measure…. I’m gonna need a .75 inch spacer on the front

Jeep Wrangler JL Badlands 12k synthetic winch, rockhard mounting plate FB2B2B5F-68A0-4428-90E3-2AD2C025EBB6

First winch install ever took me 8 hours. If I didn’t have the fitment issues it would have been 4-5 hours. Now that I know what I’m doing I’d shave another hour off that and bet I could do it in 3-4 hours

the product is great and very high quality. That said, even with tight tolerances it did not fit right without significant tweaking so for that I have to rate it 3.5 stars outta 5. If it all fit easy I’d give it 4.5 for the badlands winch due to where the winch sits on the mounting plate (quarter to half inch too far back) and the short fairlead bolts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
What does the manufacturer rate the plate at?
I can’t find anything to say. But that said I specifically asked rock hard if the plate would be good for this specific winch and they lead me to believe it was totally fine. There is a lifetime warranty so if it bends, I send it back I suppose. I would have to think that it would have to be under tremendous force to bend, like double line winching stuck in deep muck.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
I have that winch and plate. While I have not used it to get my Jeep out of a jam or any other Jeep, I have used it to remove some big shrubs. It exerted enough force to pull the front end of the Jeep down a fair amount before pulling the shrubs out - roots and all. Never felt like the plate was in danger of bending.

KCSgtMaj

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY24 Rubicon Unlimited, 3.6L
Occupation
Retired Marine, Master Plumber
dont worry, a couple of hard pulls and you should have more room between the winch and the grill. 😂
Sponsored