Sponsored

Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4XE 20th
Today I was high centered in the snow and was winching myself out. While pulling, the synthetic line snapped. I had a Factor 55 Fast FID tool to splice it back together but it wasn't useful because the line snapped close to the spool so Id be looking at major disassembly to get at it. Then, on top of that, the thing wont free spool out, it takes a huge amount of force.

Im over it so heres my questions for the forums:

Any idea why the line would have broke so close to the spool/inside the bumper? The only time I used it before today was pulling a few boulders to test it right after installation. Pre-tensioning does not seem to be relevant because the line was was almost out to the red layer. Ive done *WAY* heavier pulls with a Warn Zeon 12s and zero issues, ever.

Harbor Freight talks about returns being in the same condition as when bought. This has been installed in my bumper for a few weeks and has a broken line now. Between that and the free spool issue I have no interest in using it. Do you think they will take this back? (<30 since purchased)

Jeep Wrangler JL Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use 2024-04-28 12.16.13
Sponsored

Mocopo

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
So does the free spool actually not work, or is it just hard to pull the line out?

I would not consider a broken synthetic line to be a winch failure. It's hard to tell how much force you were actually using. It's possible there is a burr on your fairlead or right inside the bumper that caused it to break right there.

Also, you mentioned that to get to the line you'd have to take it all apart. Well, to return the winch you'd have to pull the bumper off and yank the winch out anyway... may as well get started...

I don't know the warranty info on these winches, but since it's so new you might be able to get a new line for free?

Edit: maybe don't free spool it, will it not just winch out more? Are you able to get a couple fingers on the end of the line?

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It "works" as in I have to put all of my body weight into it and pull as hard as I can to get a couple inches. I could definitely not use it to pull most of the rope out.

My thoughts are maybe the line was weakened/degraded because of having to winch the entire line out with the controller (hot drum). Thats a guess though.

Thankfully I just found my receipt; its coming off tomorrow

SargeDiesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
How much line was left on the drum when you were winching ? It sounded like you had all your line out ( maybe I miss-read).

From my understanding, you are supposed to leave a certain number of turns on the drum...

Any experienced winchers please chime in.

Terrymo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR 3.6 ET
Clubs

I’m far from an expert, so just thinking out loud. The ends of each strand in your pic look cut more than torn. i would carefully check the fairlead and the bumper opening immediately behind it. Here is an example of pic on line for a broken synthetic line. Again there are folks with far more experience than me that can answer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use IMG_1081

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It "works" as in I have to put all of my body weight into it and pull as hard as I can to get a couple inches. I could definitely not use it to pull most of the rope out.

My thoughts are maybe the line was weakened/degraded because of having to winch the entire line out with the controller (hot drum). Thats a guess though.

For an HF failure, if they refused because of condition, I'd make them warranty and return the new one. I'm pretty sure you won't have major pushback from simply returning at most stores.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I’m far from an expert, so just thinking out loud. The ends of each strand in your pic look cut more than torn. i would carefully check the fairlead and the bumper opening immediately behind it. Here is an example of pic on line for a broken synthetic line. Again there are folks with far more experience than me that can answer.
Jeep Wrangler JL Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use IMG_1081
This is what I was going to say. Check for sharp edges where your fairlead and bumper meet. The stock steel bumper has a narrow opening. If you were rubbing the cable against it under load it would quickly be destroyed like your pictures. And the sudden unloading of a winch can damage it in some cases.

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, 2023 Rubicon 392
Clubs

For an HF failure, if they refused because of condition, I'd make them warranty and return the new one. I'm pretty sure you won't have major pushback from simply returning at most stores.
HF Badland winches have a 30 day warranty if I remember correctly. You can purchase a 2 year warranty for something like 80 bucks.

I had one on my TRX and never had an issue. I went with OpenRoad 4x4 on both Jeeps and so far, so good. I paid around $376 for then during a sale.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
HF Badland winches have a 30 day warranty if I remember correctly. You can purchase a 2 year warranty for something like 80 bucks.

I had one on my TRX and never had an issue. I went with OpenRoad 4x4 on both Jeeps and so far, so good. I paid around $376 for then during a sale.
Yeah, I remember it being crazy short without extension.

OP is within 30 and was worried about the return, so he should be good both ways.

dbp512

First Name
don quixote
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Sting Grey Rubicon 4xE
Good news is HF has a 90 day warranty on this winch:
Jeep Wrangler JL Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use Screenshot 2024-04-29 155921

So you should be able to get it replaced without so much as a second glance. If it were me I'd want to know the root cause of such failure. They sell replacement ropes in case this happens later on, but I'd rather avoid having to replace the line in the field.

Sponsored

Jeep Wick

First Name
Wick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 High Tide
Occupation
Mechanic

Return this ASAP, they shouldn't give you any trouble if it's under 30 days.

ParadigmDawg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, 2023 Rubicon 392
Clubs

Good news is HF has a 90 day warranty on this winch:
Jeep Wrangler JL Badland Apex Failure on 2nd Day of Use Screenshot 2024-04-29 155921

So you should be able to get it replaced without so much as a second glance. If it were me I'd want to know the root cause of such failure. They sell replacement ropes in case this happens later on, but I'd rather avoid having to replace the line in the field.
I agree with the others. It looks to be cut.

OP
OP
tehfrr

tehfrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like there was some rubbing on the far left side of the bumper opening, so even if that was not the cause of failure, it would likely have been a future issue. Im going to assume it was at this point.

Do you just use a grinder and open it up more? On my last JL I had a factory steel bumper and had zero issues. Something to keep a lookout for when reinstalling a new winch apparently

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ive used my badlands a few times without issues. sounds like there is a sharp burr or sharp edge on the bumper/fairlead to me. As for the hard free spool i am not sure what to say my bad lands is identical to pull as my brothers 10K zeon warn's line is. I still prefer the badlands over warn due to the 3X cost difference. Sorry to hear you had some issues. sounds like you should upgrade to a freedom winch line

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

It looks like there was some rubbing on the far left side of the bumper opening, so even if that was not the cause of failure, it would likely have been a future issue. Im going to assume it was at this point.

Do you just use a grinder and open it up more? On my last JL I had a factory steel bumper and had zero issues. Something to keep a lookout for when reinstalling a new winch apparently
i would use a soft sand disc on a grinder or a deburring bit for a Dremel
Sponsored