Sponsored

Badland Apex 12,000lbs winch

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I've been considering this winch for my JLUR and it appears the consensus is that it is a reliable winch for much less than a Warn (which are hard to find anyway). It also looks like HF plans to put it on sale for $530 for Labor Day. But I'm a little intimidated about the installation.

So I am looking for recommendations for the easiest/best way to install the winch with the MOPAR steel bumper? I'm leaning towards the Rock Hard mounting plate with Maximus 3 license relocation plate. But I have also seen others use the Warn mounting plate with Poison Spyder spacer plates (which are hard to find).

I'm also concerned about how best to fish the wiring to the battery. I've seen some remove the fender and others struggle.

So far I've added RC differential skids and Ace rock sliders to the JLUR myself. But had Cloakworks add my Undercloak skid plates. Other than that it is all stock. I've never removed bumpers, removed fenders, or added wiring. It doesn't look that hard watching videos, but don't know if it is harder in real life. What do you suggest / recommend?
Sponsored

Bingman

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy’s
In my opinion, you can’t go wrong with the apex winch. I’ve got one, and although only needed to use it once on the trail, it didn’t let me down.

When I mounted mine, I didn’t need to remove the fender. I fished the cables up behind the grill and behind the plastic fender liner and up into the engine bay.

I cannot offer any advice on your bumper specifically.

Also, you can open up a harbor freight credit card and get some extra money off on the winch purchase, that’s what I did at least.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just something to consider, I picked up the Superwinch SX10SR for the same price as the Apex. Same warranty as warn as opposed to 90 days at HF.
bumper removal isn’t bad, you won’t even have to remove the million screws for the damn fog light harness.

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I've been considering this winch for my JLUR and it appears the consensus is that it is a reliable winch for much less than a Warn (which are hard to find anyway). It also looks like HF plans to put it on sale for $530 for Labor Day. But I'm a little intimidated about the installation.

So I am looking for recommendations for the easiest/best way to install the winch with the MOPAR steel bumper? I'm leaning towards the Rock Hard mounting plate with Maximus 3 license relocation plate. But I have also seen others use the Warn mounting plate with Poison Spyder spacer plates (which are hard to find).

I'm also concerned about how best to fish the wiring to the battery. I've seen some remove the fender and others struggle.

So far I've added RC differential skids and Ace rock sliders to the JLUR myself. But had Cloakworks add my Undercloak skid plates. Other than that it is all stock. I've never removed bumpers, removed fenders, or added wiring. It doesn't look that hard watching videos, but don't know if it is harder in real life. What do you suggest / recommend?
What did you end up with?

OP
OP

kej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I decided to go with the Warn Evo 10, Grimm Offroad plate, and Warn Power Interupt. I've used the winch 3-4 times in the past year and have been very happy. Installation was not bad once I figured out that the sway bar actuator on my 5mo old Jeep was flipped from where it should have been. Good luck!
Sponsored