NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just got word from my shop that the upper bushing on the trackbar is indeed torn and failing. Insure how that could happen it’s hardly seen more than 50 forest service road miles and only 6000 total miles on it. Hopefully @Clayton Off Road can help me out.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also rubbing the FOX ATS in the stock locations seems to be better 🤞🏼 No DW yet.. knock on wood

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Just got word from my shop that the upper bushing on the trackbar is indeed torn and failing. Insure how that could happen it’s hardly seen more than 50 forest service road miles and only 6000 total miles on it. Hopefully @Clayton Off Road can help me out.
Hey Nyles, that is very strange, usually we don't see these bushings tear or have any issues under normal circumstances, we can definitely work with you and your shop on this to have another bushing sent out. If you haven't contacted us already, send an email to [email protected] with some photos of the bushing and I can get working on this for you.

Nitehawk92

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLU Reign Rubicon 14 Mazda, 22 Hyundia Santa Fe
Did you read this one? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/death-wobble-poll.29145/

The percentage of Rubicons with death wobble is a far lower percentage than Sport/Sahara. The Sport/Sahara have more caster than a Rubicon.

I don't really know what to make of these results... too many other factors.
Well I bet Rubicons get more mods than any other Wrangler Trim. And I would have to think so of these death wobble cases are in Jeeps that have been modified. Not saying all of them, but I bet some are...

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Well I bet Rubicons get more mods than any other Wrangler Trim. And I would have to think so of these death wobble cases are in Jeeps that have been modified. Not saying all of them, but I bet some are...
I actually thought of that, which is why I stated:

To keep things simple, I am only interested in what your Jeep did with the stock suspension, stock wheels, and stock tires. No wheel spacers either... I am looking for bone stock vs bone stock comparison.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nyles, that is very strange, usually we don't see these bushings tear or have any issues under normal circumstances, we can definitely work with you and your shop on this to have another bushing sent out. If you haven't contacted us already, send an email to [email protected] with some photos of the bushing and I can get working on this for you.

I haven’t yet, will do so now.
The trackbar will be fully removed this coming Wednesday when I have the ball joints replaced. Thanks for your reply.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just an FYI. There’s not a stabilizer on earth that will “fix” death wobble. Best case scenario it’ll mask the problem until either the cause gets worse, or the stabilizer wears out.
There isn't one to fix it but a bad one can cause it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
There isn't one to fix it but a bad one can cause it.
I don't know if a bad stabilizer can cause death wobble... Maybe this is better said as a bad stabilizer can't stop death wobble. Yay double negatives!

I've considered temporarily removing my stabilizer completely just to see what would happen.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I don't know if a bad stabilizer can cause death wobble... Maybe this is better said as a bad stabilizer can't stop death wobble. Yay double negatives!

I've considered temporarily removing my stabilizer completely just to see what would happen.
Recent example: No changes made for thousands of miles and drove with zero issues. One morning I had death wobble with every manhole cover I drove over. Went home, looked under the Jeep and noticed a break in my stabilizer bracket. Replaced the bracket, death wobble gone, and thousands of miles and no return.

If you have death wobble I agree that a person shouldn't think that a better stabilizer will fix it; however, I am convinced that a malfunctioning stabilizer can indeed cause it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bad idea?… Opinions. 1664577753070

Sponsored

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
Think of this way. If something is loose/worn causing death wobble, the SS is only holding it in place and masking it. With the extra movement, the SS will not be able to mask it for long. My $.02

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
I’ll bet other trims get modified more than Rubicons.
Everything I know about DW is from wrenching on YJs, TJs and JKs. Not one Rubicon in that bunch.
I will say that the JLs don’t seem to be as easily affected by upgrades that cause DW as the other model Jeeps were.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The DW is the symptom of a problem. The problem is likely a clearance issue such as worn ball joints, too much flex in the steering system (gear box, steering shaft, pitman arm, drag link, tie rod, or track bar. Could be tire balance, too.

The dual stabilizers are just putting lipstick on a pig. One stabilizer is all that's needed.

Your new axles are wider and heavier than the Sport axles. Are you using the OE control arms? Are you using the OE drive shafts? Are your brake rotors from the Sport or Rubicon axles? What about wheels - OE or aftermarket?

All of this could have an impact on DW.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The DW is the symptom of a problem. The problem is likely a clearance issue such as worn ball joints, too much flex in the steering system (gear box, steering shaft, pitman arm, drag link, tie rod, or track bar. Could be tire balance, too.

The dual stabilizers are just putting lipstick on a pig. One stabilizer is all that's needed.

Your new axles are wider and heavier than the Sport axles. Are you using the OE control arms? Are you using the OE drive shafts? Are your brake rotors from the Sport or Rubicon axles? What about wheels - OE or aftermarket?

All of this could have an impact on DW.

Full 392 Axle swap that had 80 miles on them when I put them on, now they have maybe 800 miles. These came with the larger brakes and the Rubicon Tierod and Draglink. The lift is a full Clayton Off-road setup which includes CA’s, all of them, Trackbars, etc

I doubt the ball joints are worn out and I suspect a couple things. One the Exact Center and two the driver side track bar bushing looks to be failing. I removed the exact center and mounted the FOX Race ATS Steering Stabilizer on the stock locations and it’s been good. I will be taking it in on Wednesday to have the Dynatrac Ball Joints installed and the Trackbar swapped out for a Rock Krawler one. I was going to do the Tierod and Draglink but I’m pretty sure it is the Trackbar and the exact center wasn’t making things better. Once the Synergy relocation bolt for the Fox ats comes in I’ll relocate it with the Synergy setup.

I do agree with your points tho. Masking a problem or putting a bandaid on it is not what I want to do now or ever.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Full 392 Axle swap that had 80 miles on them when I put them on, now they have maybe 800 miles. These came with the larger brakes and the Rubicon Tierod and Draglink. The lift is a full Clayton Off-road setup which includes CA’s, all of them, Trackbars, etc

I doubt the ball joints are worn out and I suspect a couple things. One the Exact Center and two the driver side track bar bushing looks to be failing. I removed the exact center and mounted the FOX Race ATS Steering Stabilizer on the stock locations and it’s been good. I will be taking it in on Wednesday to have the Dynatrac Ball Joints installed and the Trackbar swapped out for a Rock Krawler one. I was going to do the Tierod and Draglink but I’m pretty sure it is the Trackbar and the exact center wasn’t making things better. Once the Synergy relocation bolt for the Fox ats comes in I’ll relocate it with the Synergy setup.

I do agree with your points tho. Masking a problem or putting a bandaid on it is not what I want to do now or ever.
Do you have the Fox steering stabilizer with the reservoir on it ?
Sponsored