HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My ticking issues started straight from factory like most of the others.

Factory spec 0w-20, tried 5w-20 for a short stint to see if that would help and it didn't.
Sponsored

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
I do not know where to stick this thread, so I stuck it here. This is informational however, and I am NO WAY a qualifed mechanic. Bought 2019 jeep Jl 2 door wrangler 3.6 in July 2019, and noticed noisy valves on passenger side. Took to dealership and said no problems found. Ok so under medium or hard acceleration , get pungent convertor smell, and check engine light came on. OBD says P219A, fuel /air problem, been intermittant, but was doing this since ownership, and of course not doing it the day I took to jeep dealer. so, symptoms rattle in rocker arm area, somewhat less gas mileage and smell. After review , I was contacted by service writer, and he said bad camshaft lobe, and they were ordering new camshaft, cam followers (rocker arms) , and other items. service advisor did not mention any other parts as being bad including phaser (position sensor). My question is what parts must accompany this new camshaft, and what parts should i insist to insure problem alleviated , what replacement parts should be replaced while they are in there. I assume they found bad lobe using Micropod 2 , and visual review. My question is what should i ask of service writer to insure problem is fixed and what additional parts should be installed
Def sounds like one of the banks is off time, may not be the cam, could just be that it skipped time. Anyway, unless you pull the heads yourself there is no way that you could tell if there was perm damage to the heads which might need new valves and machining. Especially since the compression ratio is so high on this engine . Being that this is a new engine this is pretty risky business and not to be taken lightly. I would be pissed.

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
wanted to update all after camshaft replacement, no codes, runs smooth, no metal in oil, no ticking, and a perennial smile on my face......10,000 miles RUNS GREAT
Well, let's see what happens ... dropped mine off today, the same type of issues. Check engine light randomly on and off, unusual ticking sound on the drivers side. By the look on the service dude's face, I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about the outcome. He told me one code was for cam sensor failure, and a tail light fail, (aftermarket tail lights - not a concern), but it looked like there were two more codes on his iPad. He somewhat rushed away, said he would be right back, and asked me to go talk to the rental car lady. I asked for him, looked for him, but he disappeared like damn David Blaine.

I am told they can't look at it until Monday at the absolute earliest.

Wait see ... I guess.

gsxr310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Searched for this thread as I’m curious. My cousin works as a carmax technician and told me his shop has seen 4 dodge chargers w the 3.6 that had the cam lobe issue. This is very disturbing especially when warranty expires!

OP
OP
Attaboy55

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Well, let's see what happens ... dropped mine off today, the same type of issues. Check engine light randomly on and off, unusual ticking sound on the drivers side. By the look on the service dude's face, I don't feel all warm and fuzzy about the outcome. He told me one code was for cam sensor failure, and a tail light fail, (aftermarket tail lights - not a concern), but it looked like there were two more codes on his iPad. He somewhat rushed away, said he would be right back, and asked me to go talk to the rental car lady. I asked for him, looked for him, but he disappeared like damn David Blaine.

I am told they can't look at it until Monday at the absolute earliest.

Wait see ... I guess.
Bad camshaft sensor will cause poor drivability, your gas mileage , sluggish,among others( my jeep had none of these symptoms), however a code P2019A was the code for bad camshaft, and lit because air/fuel mixture was off, because cam had bad spot, i think you'll be fine because your symptoms are that of a bad camshaft sensor, but maybe they got code P2019 A, and didn't tell you....what particular code did they give you after testing ?. Code P0340 is bad sensor....giveaway of bad sensor , is check engine light illuminated...they'll call Mopar and get permission to replace certain parts via certain code

Sponsored

OP
OP
Attaboy55

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
Def sounds like one of the banks is off time, may not be the cam, could just be that it skipped time. Anyway, unless you pull the heads yourself there is no way that you could tell if there was perm damage to the heads which might need new valves and machining. Especially since the compression ratio is so high on this engine . Being that this is a new engine this is pretty risky business and not to be taken lightly. I would be pissed.
I was pissed but two new camshafts, rollers and rockers made it all go away and no hint of problem, been pleased but 3.6 is dog poop, they make a zillion and don't give a f*** about quality control......bad lobe was caused by manufacture failure due to improper heat treat...among other reasons

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Searched for this thread as I’m curious. My cousin works as a carmax technician and told me his shop has seen 4 dodge chargers w the 3.6 that had the cam lobe issue. This is very disturbing especially when warranty expires!
There are millions of these engines on the road, this is one of the more common problems with the 3.6. We replace cams on them all the time, it’s not a huge deal. They’re quite accessible. It’s not like it’s a 5.7 Hemi, those eat cams like they’re nothing and replacing one is more work than putting in a new engine.

jg1986

First Name
jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
I am happy to report camshaft, cam followers and lifters were repaced by my Dealership, i bank 1 , and the minute I cranked it, i noticed a discernable difference. no metal and

I am happy to report , new camshaft, cam followers and lifter on bank 1 intake , took the tick out completely, cannot hear engine at all, no metal in oil, they changed it and so did I, sending a sample to Blackstone regardless. I strongly thank Jeep customer care, their assistance was outstanding !!!!!!
How has this Jeep held up over the years?

jg1986

First Name
jess
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
There are millions of these engines on the road, this is one of the more common problems with the 3.6. We replace cams on them all the time, it’s not a huge deal. They’re quite accessible. It’s not like it’s a 5.7 Hemi, those eat cams like they’re nothing and replacing one is more work than putting in a new engine.
40k-90k vehicles should not be having these problems, common or not.

Sponsored

Wicked_JL

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR + half doors
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I wonder whether running the Baxter oil filter adapter from day 1 would have prevented all of those camshaft issues since its all mostly due to oil not getting to the camshaft fast enough..

Jeep Wrangler JL bad camshaft and rocker arms 1691065636765

Debating whether i should install that on my upcoming 24 Rubicon with the 3.6 V6
Only problem is that it might get me in trouble with dealerships and warranty..

Decisions.. . .

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I wonder whether running the Baxter oil filter adapter from day 1 would have prevented all of those camshaft issues since its all mostly due to oil not getting to the camshaft fast enough..

Jeep Wrangler JL bad camshaft and rocker arms 1691065636765

Debating whether i should install that on my upcoming 24 Rubicon with the 3.6 V6
Only problem is that it might get me in trouble with dealerships and warranty..

Decisions.. . .
It’s really impossible to know. The build quality on these roller bearings is terrible.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Throw in another plug for lucas low viscosity oil modifier. About $10, about 1/4 qt. Sort of like STP, but much higher tech. Took the start up knock/tick right out of my hemi and 13 jk 3.6.. My 18 JL and wifes 21 Cherokee with 3.6 are stone cold silent on starting, so not using it yet. I go from 5 deg to 120 degrees.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Yes. Indeed. And we can decide to buy a shitty product again or not :)
The pentastar engine was the single most common engine in the US, I’m not sure if that holds true today or not. There are millions on the road accumulating hundreds of billions of miles. Forums like this are where failures get reported, it’s true on every vehicle forum.
Sponsored