bad camshaft and rocker arms

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Find a rental car? You mean they're providing one right?
Sort of. I went without a rental all last week when they had it for the camshaft because they said it’s not something “the dealer or FCA provides”. Coincidentally, I got an email from Jeep Wave yesterday morning mentioning the free oil changes and same day rental it provides for the first two years. So when I dropped it off yesterday for the coolant leak I called Jeep Wave and they said they’d reimburse me for a $40 a day rental for 5 days. Still sucks I have to pay out of pocket and wait weeks for reimbursement, but it’s better than nothing.

From a different perspective... My wife took her Honda in that we bought used, to have a major repair done, they gave her a brand new Honda Pilot loaner to drive no questions asked. In fact they offered it, we didn’t even ask. Just a different way of doing business, and I think it goes a long way personally.
Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of. I went without a rental all last week when they had it for the camshaft because they said it’s not something “the dealer or FCA provides”. Coincidentally, I got an email from Jeep Wave yesterday morning mentioning the free oil changes and same day rental it provides for the first two years. So when I dropped it off yesterday for the coolant leak I called Jeep Wave and they said they’d reimburse me for a $40 a day rental for 5 days. Still sucks I have to pay out of pocket and wait weeks for reimbursement, but it’s better than nothing.

From a different perspective... My wife took her Honda in that we bought used, to have a major repair done, they gave her a brand new Honda Pilot loaner to drive no questions asked. In fact they offered it, we didn’t even ask. Just a different way of doing business, and I think it goes a long way personally.
Yeah, from my experiences I will never buy an FCA product again. I'm up for a new work truck, wanted a Ram all decked out...no f'ing way.

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, from my experiences I will never buy an FCA product again. I'm up for a new work truck, wanted a Ram all decked out...no f'ing way.
Ha, I thought the same thing would love to have a Ram truck down the road, but this situation has been a huge turn off.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Update. We had a flawless trip to Steamboat wow what a drive but worth it. Engine worked great no issues had to reset O2 sensor probably 3 times all in all was a success. Got back March 8th and all heck broke loose with Covid.

UPDATE 2 :mad::mad::mad::mad: Guess what my NEW 3500 mile Engine is doing yep ticking away!! I am at a loss service guy was starting to act funny wanting to know if had been wrecked or what I had done. Promptly told him no new engine with 3500 miles on it had not been in an accident and that I have last 30 days of video from the dash cam that FCA was welcome to.

How common is this and what are the chances 40k first engine and 3500 miles on number 2. I am going to post a poll in the general section to possibly receive more hits.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Damn dude, that blows..... Mine ticked like a fckn sewing machine so I know how you feel.

Sponsored

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
did the do a repair or replace?
They replaced the camshaft/rockers/lifters, which fixed my ticking. FCA finally agreed to look at the oil pan weeks later and didn’t find anything abnormal. I’ve driven it about 1500 miles since the repair and it seems to be okay. I’m still super paranoid that this thing is going to start ticking down the road. Mine only has about 8400 miles on it.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
They replaced the camshaft/rockers/lifters, which fixed my ticking. FCA finally agreed to look at the oil pan weeks later and didn’t find anything abnormal. I’ve driven it about 1500 miles since the repair and it seems to be okay. I’m still super paranoid that this thing is going to start ticking down the road. Mine only has about 8400 miles on it.
I've driven around 10thousand miles since my fix, which seems about the same as yours, and the ticking has not come back. In fact the engine sounds better than ever.

OP
OP
Attaboy55

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep wrangler jl 2 door firecracker red
I've driven around 10thousand miles since my fix, which seems about the same as yours, and the ticking has not come back. In fact the engine sounds better than ever.
same here ...new exhaust camshft with cam followers and lifters on 1,3,6, side,,,,very very quiet now , ticks only until oil lubricates the top stuff, does so for about 10 secinds and is then VERY quiet

Sponsored

OP
OP
Attaboy55

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ticks last 25-30 seconds (when cold),when oil circulates quiets right down to very quiet sewing machine

OP
OP
Attaboy55

Attaboy55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My issue was bad camshaft,apparently in heat treating brittle spot,they replaced the lifters and cam followers for that camshaft on passenger side , no more noise having said that it could be cam,followers etc,my cam did show uneven wear, what code if any was it throwing, my ques would be to let them tell you what they found and think it is
My issue was bad camshaft,apparently in heat treating brittle spot,they replaced the lifters and cam followers for that camshaft on passenger side , no more noise having said that it could be cam,followers etc,my cam did show uneven wear, what code if any was it throwing, my ques would be to let them tell you what they found and think it is
wanted to update all after camshaft replacement, no codes, runs smooth, no metal in oil, no ticking, and a perennial smile on my face......10,000 miles RUNS GREAT

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
wanted to update all after camshaft replacement, no codes, runs smooth, no metal in oil, no ticking, and a perennial smile on my face......10,000 miles RUNS GREAT
Same here, been around 15k miles and noooo ticks.
Sponsored