Sponsored

bad camshaft and rocker arms

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Good question not sure if it will cover new engine until original runs out or will extend engine an additional 5yr 60k I have a call into warranty lady at dealership. @JeepCares do you have this information?
Hello,
From what we are being told, component warranties run there normal course no matter if the vehicle is under warranty or outside warranty. For sure your dealer would know the specifics.

Lamar
JeepCares
Sponsored

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
This picture is from last week. New complete crate engine. Hopefully gets finished early this week to get some break in time before 16hr road trip Saturday!!

20200218_155612.jpg

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
My 2018 JL Sport S has been knocking/ticking for a few months. Dealer "A" said it was a normal break-in noise, didn't throw codes, it's totally fine. Finally took it to Dealer "B" to get a second opinion and they heard the issue immediately. After they cracked the engine open they found RUST on both my camshafts with heavy wear on them. My JL is less than a year old with about 7000 miles on it. The main components they replaced were:
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT INTAKE
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT EXHAUST
  • 6 X ARM - INCLUDES LASH ADJUSTER
  • 6 X TAPPET VALVE LASH
  • 6 X ARM - VALVE
While this seemed to fix the knocking and I'm thankful for that... this has me totally spooked about this engine. They didn't change the oil so I have no idea if there is metal floating around, but they did flush the radiator. Curious what everyone thinks about all of this?

So disappointed to pay $40k for a NEW Jeep that has rusty engine parts. Attaching a few photos the tech took while it was open.

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2018 JL Sport S has been knocking/ticking for a few months. Dealer "A" said it was a normal break-in noise, didn't throw codes, it's totally fine. Finally took it to Dealer "B" to get a second opinion and they heard the issue immediately. After they cracked the engine open they found RUST on both my camshafts with heavy wear on them. My JL is less than a year old with about 7000 miles on it. The main components they replaced were:
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT INTAKE
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT EXHAUST
  • 6 X TAPPET VALVE LASH
  • 6 X ARM - VALVE
While this seemed to fix the knocking and I'm thankful for that... this has me totally spooked about this engine. They didn't change the oil so I have no idea if there is metal floating around, but they did flush the radiator. Curious what everyone thinks about all of this?

So disappointed to pay $40k for a NEW Jeep that has rusty engine parts. Attaching a few photos the tech took while it was open.

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG
Flushed the radiator.... but didn't change the oil. That seems backwards to me. The coolant should have no metal in it from the camshaft there for no need to be "flushed" however the oil would because the camshaft is in the oil. At my shop I would have recommended changing the oil for 2 reason 1: metal from camshaft, 2: moisture (that caused the rust)

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT INTAKE
  • 1 X CAMSHAFT EXHAUST
  • 6 X TAPPET VALVE LASH
  • 6 X ARM - VALVE

IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG
Would you mind posting your work sheet from the srvc department? I'd love to see the technical stuff they wrote. That way I have more knowledge when I take mine to dealer 2.

Thanks

Sponsored

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would you mind posting your work sheet from the srvc department? I'd love to see the technical stuff they wrote. That way I have more knowledge when I take mine to dealer 2.

Thanks
Heres the work order. They said they didn't see any metal contamination in the oil when the had that covers off... but who knows what's in the filter/pan. Hopefully this helps some of you still troubleshooting your knocking issues.

workorder1.jpeg

workorder2.jpeg

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flushed the radiator.... but didn't change the oil. That seems backwards to me. The coolant should have no metal in it from the camshaft there for no need to be "flushed" however the oil would because the camshaft is in the oil. At my shop I would have recommended changing the oil for 2 reason 1: metal from camshaft, 2: moisture (that caused the rust)
I'm no tech, but I think they had to disconnect the radiator when doing the repair, so they had to flush and refill. Would have been nice after all that work though if they could have just dropped the oil real quick.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They absolutely should pull the oil pan from my previous picture it looked like a nice metal flake paint job.

Just curious what cam failed mine was passenger outer cam.

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They absolutely should pull the oil pan from my previous picture it looked like a nice metal flake paint job.

Just curious what cam failed mine was passenger outer cam.
Mine was the passenger side I believe.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I'd HIGHLY suggest taking a close look at the current oil filter to determine how much metal shavings made their way through the oil system. If it looks like a glitter bomb, I'd start discussions on lemon law as it WILL have impacted your lower end bearings as well.
I agree; wiping a cam lobe will send tiny metal particles throughout the engine. I bet the crank and rod bearings have already been scored. I had a small block wipe a cam on a fresh rebuild, maybe 1/2 hour of run time, and it scored bearings and crank.

Sponsored

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since it is warranty, they are going to replace what is actually broken and not anything that "could be" broken or suspect unless the repair data instructions tell them otherwise.

Also, "insisting" is not going to get you anything with the dealership as they are only going to replace what FCA has approved them for. Anything you want replaced over and above is going to come out of your pocket.

If me, my biggest concern is to make sure the oil and filter is changed after the repair to get the wear metals out. That should be part of the standard repair.
This is 100% true unfortunately. I just got off the phone with the dealer and they said that since they didn’t find evidence of metal particles at the camshaft assembly, then the dealer would not approve taking the oil pan off and inspecting it further. They told me it would cost me about $210 if I wanted them to remove the pan, inspect and refill with oil. He said if they did find metal, then the warranty would “probably” cover it. But ultimately it’s my $210 gamble, even when this should have just been part of the main repair in the first place to be thorough. I mean my camshafts were rusty with grooves worn in them, I think that justifies digging in a little deeper to make sure there aren’t bigger underlying issues in this engine due to that failure. Maybe @JeepCares can help in getting FCA to approve a warranty inspection of the oil pan and any further repairs needed.

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, this just keeps getting better. I got my Jeep back yesterday after they swapped out the rusty camshafts. Today I noticed that it’s leaking coolant. My guess is the dealer didn’t put something back together right after they reconnected all the coolant lines from the cam swap. Man, what a mess this has turned into. Had to leave it with the dealer again with no solid answer when I’ll get it back since it’s basically the weekend now. Funny thing is my neighbor came up to ask what I thought of the Gladiator today because he was thinking of getting one. I laughed and told him this whole story.

904667AD-5117-4C67-AEBF-3D3C45FA3F6D.jpeg

BBAE95D4-B756-49E3-94BC-D53074DECCC1.jpeg

4A6510E0-A2BA-47AE-9071-1F60EE5DDC82.jpeg

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Man that stinks sorry to hear about the leak. Got ours back today :clap: but only took 28 days :mad: . Mine is now throwing an 02 sensor code as it was when it was taken to the dealership. I asked them to change it when doing the swap would have been much easier. I had even bought one and was setting on the seat and they somehow forgot:facepalm: We are leaving tomorrow for a 1000 mile each way trip to Steamboat Colorado it just came back on after 400 miles... lots of driving today. Fingers crossed all is ok with it. I use the tazer to reset code all is good for now.

SmartSelect_20200228-195528_Photos.jpg

RubyRed

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man that stinks sorry to hear about the leak. Got ours back today :clap: but only took 28 days :mad: . Mine is now throwing an 02 sensor code as it was when it was taken to the dealership. I asked them to change it when doing the swap would have been much easier. I had even bought one and was setting on the seat and they somehow forgot:facepalm: We are leaving tomorrow for a 1000 mile each way trip to Steamboat Colorado it just came back on after 400 miles... lots of driving today. Fingers crossed all is ok with it. I use the tazer to reset code all is good for now.

SmartSelect_20200228-195528_Photos.jpg
Yeah, it’s been quite a week. I have a case in with FCA to see if they’ll open the oil pan to find the potential glitter bomb hopefully they approve it and dig a little deeper to see if there are any more issues lurking. Found out they damaged a radiator hose when they were fixing the cams, so that’s why it’s leaking. Parts on order and will dig in deeper next week. Meanwhile I need to find a rental car.

Curious to hear how your trip goes with the new engine. Wishing you the best of luck

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, it’s been quite a week. I have a case in with FCA to see if they’ll open the oil pan to find the potential glitter bomb hopefully they approve it and dig a little deeper to see if there are any more issues lurking. Found out they damaged a radiator hose when they were fixing the cams, so that’s why it’s leaking. Parts on order and will dig in deeper next week. Meanwhile I need to find a rental car.

Curious to hear how your trip goes with the new engine. Wishing you the best of luck
Find a rental car? You mean they're providing one right?
Sponsored