Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
You actually did this to yourself, the shitty Jeep had nothing to do with it or the 60k. Perhaps read an owners manual first before messing with a plastic, TAB, that's not a bolt, to lock and unlock the cover that goes over the camera. It's a 1/4 turn to lock or unlock. $10 for a shitty plastic replacement to go with your shitty jeep, or you can get a shitty metal replacement that will come with a new shitty metal tire carrier, to go with the shitty Jeep.
Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Deleted member 59498

You might find one at a dealer if they replaced a tire carrier or such. But being in Georgia should be a quick shipping item.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Wow, just wow. You try to unscrew something that doesn’t unscrew and you use 20 times the force necessary on what should be a two second job. And you want to bad mouth the Jeep?

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Wow, just wow. You try to unscrew something that doesn’t unscrew and you use 20 times the force necessary on what should be a two second job. And you want to bad mouth the Jeep?
They try to do something binary with a screw bolt, which isn’t made for binary. There’s something called switch. This is obviously a bad engineering example!

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
They try to do something binary with a screw bolt, which isn’t made for binary. There’s something called switch. This is obviously a bad engineering example!
Did you fall off of a horse and hit your head?

Just yank the plastic cover off and throw it away. It doesn’t do anything.

AC87

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Service Technician
I love how user error turns into a bad engineering example

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
I love how user error turns into a bad engineering example
Yes it’s a user error. A user error doesn’t mean it should break easily. If it causes user make error often, then it’s a bad design. I’ve done my own research. A lot of people got the same problem, especially those doing tire replacement or tire rotation.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
There’s metal insert connecting to the screw. Basically you can push in and out. The bolt really just causes more confusion. There’s much better way to design it.

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
The lock/unlock, all it does is to push this insert in and out. Can you use a bolt to achieve the purpose? Yes. Is it a good design? No…
Jeep Wrangler JL Bad bolt! Can’t remove rear camera cover C7865409-27C0-471E-BA32-3541D1A7B2D1

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

You are totally missing the point. Most thieves aren't carrying around a Torx drive to 'unlock' the mount and get to the lugs.

I think you proved the brilliance of a cheap $10 deterrent. Even with the correct tool you couldn't remove the wheel.

You should be thankful you are getting off cheap for F'ing it up!

Sorry being a little harsh but... com'n man!

OP
OP

jeep4xelover

First Name
jeeplover
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
You are totally missing the point. Most thieves aren't carrying around a Torx drive to 'unlock' the mount and get to the lugs.

I think you proved the brilliance of a cheap $10 deterrent. Even with the correct tool you couldn't remove the wheel.

You should be thankful you are getting off cheap for F'ing it up!

Sorry being a little harsh but... com'n man!
The lock unlock does nothing. Even it’s locked, you can still pull the bezel out. Once you pull harder, the screw/insert comes out slowly.
It’s not a secure lock. Secure/tight enough to prevent the bezel from falling off.

I did pull off the bezel without damaging other parts and I got my job done.

06949463-F904-43EC-8AFF-FB129F484E9D.jpeg