Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Use the camera. Youll get used to it. With a backup camera the sensor seems overkill when you already have great visibility for backing up. And also use the side mirrors. It is good practice anyway, rather than depending on a cheap sensor that can fail.

But I get it. You have the feature and you want to use it. I would too.
Sponsored

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU
Use the camera. Youll get used to it. With a backup camera the sensor seems overkill when you already have great visibility for backing up. And also use the side mirrors. It is good practice anyway, rather than depending on a cheap sensor that can fail.

But I get it. You have the feature and you want to use it. I would too.
I have KO2 315 my back up sensors beeped until I rotated my tires after 5000 miles then no more beeping

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Good tip. They are the 315s with factory bumper (never removed) but not on factory wheel. I did try rotating valve stem up and the first time I backed up the sensors didn't trip and I thought it was fixed. Next time they did... The little brackets only push the tire up about 1" so I could live with the loss of rear visibility. They're pricey little buggers though so would like to know that it will help.
Lost visibility was the least of all the downsides of using one those relocation brackets. Spending a little more buys zero downsides. This is coming from someone who's sitting on a few thousand worth of parts bought on a compromise, so I'm attempting to help you and others from starting your own pile.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Rough Country makes a cheap plate that will raise the tire and remove the problem. I used it, no issues with my 35s afterwards.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Lost visibility was the least of all the downsides of using one those relocation brackets. Spending a little more buys zero downsides. This is coming from someone who's sitting on a few thousand worth of parts bought on a compromise, so I'm attempting to help you and others from starting your own pile.
Ok you talked me into the Teraflex Alpha HD. What you said earlier about keeping the tire close to the door makes a heck of alot of sense. The price is what pushed me over the edge though, it's only about $50 more than the Mopar plates.

Another nice bonus is they're made in 'merica.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s merica

Last edited:

Sponsored

baskiboat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Sting Gray
The Teraflex adjustable mount solved this issue for me with my 37's

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok you talked me into the Teraflex Alpha HD. What you said earlier about keeping the tire close to the door makes a heck of alot of sense. The price is what pushed me over the edge though, it's only about $50 more than the Mopar plates.

Another nice bonus is they're made in 'merica.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s merica
Only reason why I had to swap out my Alpha is because I moved to 38x13.5's. With a 120lb spare, I was starting to see that the tailgate hinges were the weak link and wanted some added strength and peace of mind before bouncing around offroad and crawling obstacles. For 35's and not wanting to go as far as a full hinged carrier, the Alpha is a great option.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just wanted to report back - I got the Teraflex Alpha HD mount and was able to raise the spare tire AND tuck it closer to the tailgate about 2” each way. The backup sensors now behave as intended. Thanks everyone for the responses but particularly @Headbarcode for the Jedi wisdom.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to report back - I got the Teraflex Alpha HD mount and was able to raise the spare tire AND tuck it closer to the tailgate about 2” each way. The backup sensors now behave as intended. Thanks everyone for the responses but particularly @Headbarcode for the Jedi wisdom.
Great news, and glad to hear that you and your tailgate are happy now!

Cheers buddy!

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
i have the same issue running Alpha HD on Black Rhino 17x9-18 on 315/70 Falken Wildtrack.

On the center proximity sensors are going off. I'm about 1.5" away from bottom of factory bumper. I measured backspacing to be exactly 6" and tire fits sung against OEM spare wheel bump stops. I mounted the wheel studs on position 2 as per instructions, i'm wondering if i should go up to position 3 which is for 37's to gain more clearance in hopes of fixing the sensor beeping issue?

IMG_4267.jpg

68843737985__FCD63AC4-CCB7-4332-AAEE-03BFAAD63FF0.jpg

68843738985__F8D91859-5691-473C-96F3-DEAA39B0D18B.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’d try raising it up to the highest position and cutting the bumpers (or replacing) so you can tuck the wheel in closer to the tailgate.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My guess is the wheels you have is what is triggering your backup sensors.

I have a set of 35x12.5 tires mounted on Quadratec 17x8.5 wheels with 5.2 inches of BS; the spare is mounted on the OE carrier with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement: my setup is NOT triggering the backup sensors.

If your wheels are wider/have greater offset, or your spare carrier is bulkier, that may be causing your spare to trigger the backup sensors.

Good luck.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s Spare

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - sometimes when I get back from the trail, my backup sensors beep for no reason as soon as I put the vehicle in reverse. Apparently, dirt gets trapped on the sensor covers, triggering them.

Last time I had to scrub them very thoroughly to clear off whatever was on them. It took three attempts until I finally got the sensors to work properly.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i have the same issue running Alpha HD on Black Rhino 17x9-18 on 315/70 Falken Wildtrack.

On the center proximity sensors are going off. I'm about 1.5" away from bottom of factory bumper. I measured backspacing to be exactly 6" and tire fits sung against OEM spare wheel bump stops. I mounted the wheel studs on position 2 as per instructions, i'm wondering if i should go up to position 3 which is for 37's to gain more clearance in hopes of fixing the sensor beeping issue?

I used to have the Alpha, so the 1st question that pops to mind is, does the wheels mounting flange sit flat on the carriers mounting plate without the lug nuts? It shouldn't. If it does, the depth adjustment on the carrier needs to be shortened up a bit, so it requires the lug nuts to preload the tire into the tailgate rubbers. I believe the instructions say to take either a 1/4" or 3/8" off your backspace measurement when setting the carrier depth.

If you did that and the tire is pressed firmly into the rubbers, great. If not, that dimensional change could fix the false sensor trips.

If that's not it, my next question is what's the clock position of the valve stem? If it's between 3 and 9 o'clock, it could be tripping the camera which works in conjunction with the rear bumper sensors. A number of members have commented over the last few years about being able to stop the false alarms, by rotating the valve stem closer to midnight.

If that's not it, the last thing you could try is moving the lug studs to the highest position. Possible that the bumper sensors are still picking up the spare. After that, I'd be thinking that the camera is just not playing well with that particular wheel.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
I’ve got a Stock Rubi with 33s that has backup sensors that seem to go crazy once a week or so. I’ve posted about it around here somewhere.

Anyway, I have noticed that sun angle seems to influence them at times. Not sure if it’s sun/shadow on the sensors themselves, or the camera seeing the Jeep shadow… or what? When they’ve gone crazy in a parking lot, I’ll try backing out and turning the other direction when reversing… and they stop. It’s a weird and finicky system.
Sponsored