Sponsored

Backup sensors beeping with 35”s

hybrid_eg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'90 S13, 22 MS Plaid, '23 JLUR 4xe
thanks guys! i'll try all the advice above! I'm installing an RC rear bumper so figured id wait for that to see how much higher or lower it sits than factory sensor positions, meanwhile ill just turn them off.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
One thing you can try, that has helped some and doesn't cost a nickle, is rotate the spare so that the valve stem is at or near the 12 o'clock position. This is assuming that your Jeep has 315's or 35's mounted on the factory wheels.

If that doesn't fix the false alerts caused by the tire that is too large for the factory carrier, I highly recommend an adjustable carrier. The only one that I'm aware of is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It has both height and fore/aft adjustability to properly support up to 37's on wheels with a wide range of backspacing. The most important factor in properly supporting a spare is to keep it as close to the tailgate as possible.

Relocation brackets are half-assed fixes that do nothing more than save someone a few bucks, while trading one problem for the next. They all tend to lift the spare higher than what's needed to clear the bumper, so more rear window is lost for no gain. They also push the spare further away from the tailgate, which increases the cantilever effect that amplifies the physical weight of the spare.

To properly support larger lift height and tires, stronger steering and suspension components are necessary. Since we have a 5th full size wheel/tire assembly on board, it too requires the same amount of added strength.

The Alpha HD handled my 315/70-17 ko2's with ease. It felt way stronger than the factory plastic. I adjusted mine as close to the gate as possible before interfering with the rear wiper. I set it to the highest position to maximize ground clearance when dropping off of ledges. It also did a good job with 38x13.5's on wider than factory wheels.

20200423_092815_resized.jpg
20200813_083647_resized.jpg
Just had my tires rotated, and when they put the spare back on I made sure that the valve stem was as close to 12 as possible. That solved my beeping problem!

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I’ve got a Stock Rubi with 33s that has backup sensors that seem to go crazy once a week or so. I’ve posted about it around here somewhere.

Anyway, I have noticed that sun angle seems to influence them at times. Not sure if it’s sun/shadow on the sensors themselves, or the camera seeing the Jeep shadow… or what? When they’ve gone crazy in a parking lot, I’ll try backing out and turning the other direction when reversing… and they stop. It’s a weird and finicky system.
It has to be the camera seeing something, it's part of the PA system as well. The sensors in the bumper aren't seeing light or shadows.
Sponsored