Backup sensors beeping with 35”s

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
First off - This really makes me wonder what some of y’all are searching for that google would come up with this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s AAAB12C7-663D-4C6F-998D-7CD8CAF9F306

I’m trying to find out if those brackets will help with the constant beeping from the backup sensors. We’ve only got 35”s so they fit without but the beepers are always going on so we keep them turned off.

As a result, my wife bought our daughter a new headlight.
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s 87C1109F-000E-4ED3-A909-E60FE310CCD0

This seems to be a common problem and I’ve seen a couple suggestions like:
Pushing out the camera
Putting foam over the sensors

But the XR package comes with the same tire and I believe they also have these brackets:
https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/82215355.html

Has anybody had the constant beeping, installed these, and problems solved?

And yes, the backup camera works, I don’t know how she plowed into the car…
Sponsored

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I have my back up nannies off because they just stay beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

I have an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier. Still going strong! Ha! The cross traffic still works fine and the back up camera still works. I was going to take the bumper off and shim them down but I think my problem while the same, is a different cause.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
First off - This really makes me wonder what some of y’all are searching for that google would come up with this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s 87C1109F-000E-4ED3-A909-E60FE310CCD0

I’m trying to find out if those brackets will help with the constant beeping from the backup sensors. We’ve only got 35”s so they fit without but the beepers are always going on so we keep them turned off.

As a result, my wife bought our daughter a new headlight.

This seems to be a common problem and I’ve seen a couple suggestions like:
Pushing out the camera
Putting foam over the sensors

But the XR package comes with the same tire and I believe they also have these brackets:

Ugh sorry to see. You still have mirrors... maybe do some practicing? I'm trying to teach the wife here how to use the Ram's 3500/tow mirrors here. She can tow just fine but gauging distances is still a problem when backing the trailers (admittedly me too here).

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ugh sorry to see. You still have mirrors... maybe do some practicing? I'm trying to teach the wife here how to use the Ram's 3500/tow mirrors here. She can tow just fine but gauging distances is still a problem when backing the trailers (admittedly me too here).
LOL I think she might get mad at me if I suggest practicing backing out of the garage. She just didn't look at the backup camera and to be honest I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, I usually look out the driver mirror. We're just not used to having somebody sitting in the driveway. Fortunately a local salvage yard had the headlight assembly and our daughter doesn't mind a few more dents. It was however a reminder that there is a safety feature there that could have prevented it.

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
LOL I think she might get mad at me if I suggest practicing backing out of the garage. She just didn't look at the backup camera and to be honest I can't say I wouldn't have done the same, I usually look out the driver mirror. We're just not used to having somebody sitting in the driveway. Fortunately a local salvage yard had the headlight assembly and our daughter doesn't mind a few more dents. It was however a reminder that there is a safety feature there that could have prevented it.
Back up cameras have done a number on drivers' ability (or should say inability) to back up. It's hilarious to watch people try to back into a spot using their cameras. Watched a lady yesterday make 5 attempts to back into a spot the whole time staring intently at her audio screen. Whereas simply looking behind you does the trick. Stepping off soap box.

My wife did the same thing in her previous SUV and the only damage was to our vehicle. I asked if the camera was working and she said yeah but she didn't hear the beeps. So the beeps condition drivers to not even look at the camera. So I did suggest practicing backing up, parallel parking, etc. & while I got the expected eye roll, she did practice & now looks behind her and uses the side mirrors instead of relying on the camera.

Sponsored

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not a fan of the backup sensors myself, my eyeballs and neck do a pretty good job at detecting anything in my way when backing up 😉

In all seriousness I can't even tell you if my backup sensors work properly or not because I have had them off since the very beginning.

I thought the backup sensors were the 4 little guys in the bumper? They should be a capacitive proximity sensor iirc. Not sure how doing anything to the tire carrier would change the sensors in the bumper.

Edit: what kind of rear bumper do you have BTW? If the sensors were reinstalled in a aftermarket bumper incorrectly then you're going to have the beeping all the time.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
One thing you can try, that has helped some and doesn't cost a nickle, is rotate the spare so that the valve stem is at or near the 12 o'clock position. This is assuming that your Jeep has 315's or 35's mounted on the factory wheels.

If that doesn't fix the false alerts caused by the tire that is too large for the factory carrier, I highly recommend an adjustable carrier. The only one that I'm aware of is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It has both height and fore/aft adjustability to properly support up to 37's on wheels with a wide range of backspacing. The most important factor in properly supporting a spare is to keep it as close to the tailgate as possible.

Relocation brackets are half-assed fixes that do nothing more than save someone a few bucks, while trading one problem for the next. They all tend to lift the spare higher than what's needed to clear the bumper, so more rear window is lost for no gain. They also push the spare further away from the tailgate, which increases the cantilever effect that amplifies the physical weight of the spare.

To properly support larger lift height and tires, stronger steering and suspension components are necessary. Since we have a 5th full size wheel/tire assembly on board, it too requires the same amount of added strength.

The Alpha HD handled my 315/70-17 ko2's with ease. It felt way stronger than the factory plastic. I adjusted mine as close to the gate as possible before interfering with the rear wiper. I set it to the highest position to maximize ground clearance when dropping off of ledges. It also did a good job with 38x13.5's on wider than factory wheels.

Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s 20200423_092815_resized
Jeep Wrangler JL Backup sensors beeping with 35”s 20200813_083647_resized

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Not a fan of the backup sensors myself, my eyeballs and neck do a pretty good job at detecting anything in my way when backing up 😉

In all seriousness I can't even tell you if my backup sensors work properly or not because I have had them off since the very beginning.

I thought the backup sensors were the 4 little guys in the bumper? They should be a capacitive proximity sensor iirc. Not sure how doing anything to the tire carrier would change the sensors in the bumper.

Edit: what kind of rear bumper do you have BTW? If the sensors were reinstalled in a aftermarket bumper incorrectly then you're going to have the beeping all the time.
I have the Rusty's Extreme Trail Stubby. Also the Rusty's tire carrier. Tire is up high, but I do believe two of the sensors are not fully seated correctly. I honestly have the system off until I have a few extra minutes to yank the rear bumper and see if I can't get them re-seated. Two are slightly "off" if that makes any sense. I took the tire off just to check and same same. Just caaaaan't leave sh** alone. Not sure if anyone else has the same thing happening because of the same reasons though.

Jhawth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Sure would be nice if there was a easy tool to plug into your capacitive proximity sensors in the bumper to see when they're sending a signal. I suppose you could turn the vehicle on, with the help of a friend have them put it in reverse, take the spare off and see if the beeping persists or not. If the beeping goes away when the tire is removed you'll know the sensors are installed / functioning properly is regards to how they're mounted in the bumper. Then I'd take a piece of paper 8"x11" or whatever and move towards the sensors from the mounting position of the spare. You should trigger the sensors at some point. The distance that you have prior to triggering the sensors is the distance that would need to be maintained with the spare mounted. Imo the "better" solution would be to relocate the sensors over trying to push the spare up higher and higher but that's a decision that only you can make.

I might have to play around with this myself tonight as I was planning on making some "custom" adjustments to my license plate holder lol.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One thing you can try, that has helped some and doesn't cost a nickle, is rotate the spare so that the valve stem is at or near the 12 o'clock position. This is assuming that your Jeep has 315's or 35's mounted on the factory wheels.

If that doesn't fix the false alerts caused by the tire that is too large for the factory carrier, I highly recommend an adjustable carrier. The only one that I'm aware of is the Teraflex Alpha HD carrier. It has both height and fore/aft adjustability to properly support up to 37's on wheels with a wide range of backspacing. The most important factor in properly supporting a spare is to keep it as close to the tailgate as possible.

Relocation brackets are half-assed fixes that do nothing more than save someone a few bucks, while trading one problem for the next. They all tend to lift the spare higher than what's needed to clear the bumper, so more rear window is lost for no gain. They also push the spare further away from the tailgate, which increases the cantilever effect that amplifies the physical weight of the spare.

To properly support larger lift height and tires, stronger steering and suspension components are necessary. Since we have a 5th full size wheel/tire assembly on board, it too requires the same amount of added strength.

The Alpha HD handled my 315/70-17 ko2's with ease. It felt way stronger than the factory plastic. I adjusted mine as close to the gate as possible before interfering with the rear wiper. I set it to the highest position to maximize ground clearance when dropping off of ledges. It also did a good job with 38x13.5's on wider than factory wheels.

20200423_092815_resized.jpg
20200813_083647_resized.jpg
Good tip. They are the 315s with factory bumper (never removed) but not on factory wheel. I did try rotating valve stem up and the first time I backed up the sensors didn't trip and I thought it was fixed. Next time they did... The little brackets only push the tire up about 1" so I could live with the loss of rear visibility. They're pricey little buggers though so would like to know that it will help.

Sponsored

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
Lol understood.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure would be nice if there was a easy tool to plug into your capacitive proximity sensors in the bumper to see when they're sending a signal. I suppose you could turn the vehicle on, with the help of a friend have them put it in reverse, take the spare off and see if the beeping persists or not. If the beeping goes away when the tire is removed you'll know the sensors are installed / functioning properly is regards to how they're mounted in the bumper. Then I'd take a piece of paper 8"x11" or whatever and move towards the sensors from the mounting position of the spare. You should trigger the sensors at some point. The distance that you have prior to triggering the sensors is the distance that would need to be maintained with the spare mounted. Imo the "better" solution would be to relocate the sensors over trying to push the spare up higher and higher but that's a decision that only you can make.

I might have to play around with this myself tonight as I was planning on making some "custom" adjustments to my license plate holder lol.
Yep agreed, and I do still need to take the tire off to see if it makes a difference. I don't believe the factory mounts are adjustable, but I did see a video where somebody swapped the mounting rings left to right. The trim pieces / mounts have a slight angle so that changed the way they were aimed slightly. I think that was done on a Warn bumper but not certain.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Before I ended up upgrading my tire carrier, I had used that kit along with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement to hold my 315 KO2s. Prior to using relocation, my sensors beeped constantly. Lifting the tire up made all the difference and the sensors returned to working normally.

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Before I ended up upgrading my tire carrier, I had used that kit along with the Mopar tailgate reinforcement to hold my 315 KO2s. Prior to using relocation, my sensors beeped constantly. Lifting the tire up made all the difference and the sensors returned to working normally.
Thanks Mike!

Mtenna99

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Programmer
Clubs

Sounds like my experience is the same as everyone else’s with no issue. My sensors haven’t given me any issues with my aftermarket parts. I have 37s mounted to vision nemesis wheels. The wheels have a -12 offset. I am still running the stock rear bumper. I’m running the Rustys tire carrier. The tire can be mounted higher or lower and closer or farther to tailgate. Can handle up to 40 inch tires.
Sponsored