Sponsored

Backup/Reverse Warning Lights & (ParkSense) Tone w/ Oversize Spare Tire

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Sport S
This topic is likely covered elsewhere on the forums, but I couldn't find it easily via my search terms.

I have 35" KO2 tires and a Smittybilt tire relocation bracket.
Whenever I put my Jeep in reverse, my backup sensors show the visual red proximity warning (on both the left and right rear areas) and sometimes the yellow visual warning on the dash. Additionally, the loud warning tone sounds the entire time I am in reverse as well.
This happens even though there is actually nothing back there...except, what I believe to be the fat 35" spare tire--pushed back even a few more inches by the bracket.
Has anyone else dealt with this issue and successfully found a fix or adjustment/re-calibration to reduce or "fix" the sensor detection area(s)?
[Prior to upgrading my tire size and installing the bracket, I did not receive the warning tones or visual dash cues].
ParkSense Park Sense
Sponsored

Last edited:

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
This topic is likely covered elsewhere on the forums, but I couldn't find it easily via my search terms.

I have 35" KO2 tires and a Smittybilt tire relocation bracket.
Whenever I put my Jeep in reverse, my backup sensors show the visual red proximity warning (on both the left and right rear areas) and sometimes the yellow visual warning on the dash. Additionally, the loud warning tone sounds the entire time I am in reverse as well.
This happens even though there is actually nothing back there...except, what I believe to be the fat 35" spare tire--pushed back even a few more inches by the bracket.
Has anyone else dealt with this issue and successfully found a fix or adjustment/re-calibration to reduce or "fix" the sensor detection area(s)?
[Prior to upgrading my tire size and installing the bracket, I did not receive the warning tones or visual dash cues].
Subscribed.... I'll be running 35s and am deciding which relocation bracket to go with. Very interested to learn what others are experiencing with the various relo brackest available!

Sehrmude

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I know this thread was started in May, but we mounted the new wheels and tires on my wife’s JL Sahara today and have the a similar issue, except it’s only the right side park sensor detecting a ghost. Mopar oversized tire carrier and reinforcement brackets, wheels are 20x9 -12 offset with Nitto Trail Grappler size 325/60r20.

I’m going to try removing the one spacer on the tire carrier, which would push the tire closer to the tailgate - hopefully giving the sensor the field of ‘view’ it wants.

OP
OP

S207307

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler (JL) Unlimited Sport S
I know this thread was started in May, but we mounted the new wheels and tires on my wife’s JL Sahara today and have the a similar issue, except it’s only the right side park sensor detecting a ghost. Mopar oversized tire carrier and reinforcement brackets, wheels are 20x9 -12 offset with Nitto Trail Grappler size 325/60r20.

I’m going to try removing the one spacer on the tire carrier, which would push the tire closer to the tailgate - hopefully giving the sensor the field of ‘view’ it wants.
Mine is essentially the same. I run 35" K02s on my JLU sport and get (only) the ParkSense indicator to have a continuous tone with the closest solid red area filled (see my picture) any time I put it in reverse.
Rarely, if I open and close the tailgate the warning may go away for one driving session...but it inevitably returns.

ParkeSense.png

Cowboy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL

I'm have the same issue. I have the Mopar spare relocation kit and center wheel brake light relocation kit. Im running Toyo Open Country A/T 12.5×35×17 mounted on 9×17 Fuel Assault wheels. I'm wondering if taking the 1/4" spacer out moves it back enough to stop the warning from the backup sensors. Also my camera catches the bottom half of the wheel and looks like your looking out from a tunnel. Any help/suggests ??

Sponsored

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Same problem here with Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit, Fuel Beast 17x9, -12 offset, BFGoodrich 315x70x17 KO2,s.
I just had them installed today. I also have one spacer installed on the Mopar kit and plan on taking it out tomorrow to see if it helps.

6B009B71-79F2-4E55-BBCB-6D5ED3538DBA.jpeg

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
I’ll be honest, based on what I had been reading I was fully expecting issues with sensors or the camera on mine with what I had planned out of the gate. Interestingly enough though I had no issues with the sensors and didn’t seem to lose much, if anything in the way of viewable area with the camera.

My set up, 37x12.5x17 mounted on a Fuel Trophy wheel that’s 17x8.5 with 4.5” BS or -6mm Offset which is attached to the factory tire carrier with the Rough Country spare tire relocation bracket which lifts the whole set up about 4.75” over stock. I’m not sure if that is all attributable to the RC relocation bracket or my choice of rim since I see many people running 9” or 10” wide rims.

39005201_2193821147299567_8399152531258736640_o.jpg

One point I’d like to make loud and clear, I would not recommend running a 37” tire (I would not recommend running a 35” tire either) on your rear gate without reinforcement of some sort. For me I’m holding out to see what type of solutions the aftermarket comes out with as I’m not totally sold on the Mopar solution.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I’ll be honest, based on what I had been reading I was fully expecting issues with sensors or the camera on mine with what I had planned out of the gate. Interestingly enough though I had no issues with the sensors and didn’t seem to lose much, if anything in the way of viewable area with the camera.

My set up, 37x12.5x17 mounted on a Fuel Trophy wheel that’s 17x8.5 with 4.5” BS or -6mm Offset which is attached to the factory tire carrier with the Rough Country spare tire relocation bracket which lifts the whole set up about 4.75” over stock. I’m not sure if that is all attributable to the RC relocation bracket or my choice of rim since I see many people running 9” or 10” wide rims.

39005201_2193821147299567_8399152531258736640_o.jpg

One point I’d like to make loud and clear, I would not recommend running a 37” tire (I would not recommend running a 35” tire either) on your rear gate without reinforcement of some sort. For me I’m holding out to see what type of solutions the aftermarket comes out with as I’m not totally sold on the Mopar solution.
I have 8.5" wheels as well, with 4.3" of BS and -10 offset.

I had rear proximity beeping with the relo bracket from Smittybilt.

Without the relo bracket from Smittybilt, I of course also have the bracket

I believe the relatively extreme lift given by the RC relo kit is what is avoiding the beeping in your setup.

Cowboy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Same problem here with Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit, Fuel Beast 17x9, -12 offset, BFGoodrich 315x70x17 KO2,s.
I just had them installed today. I also have one spacer installed on the Mopar kit and plan on taking it out tomorrow to see if it helps.

Did you get a space taken out and did it help ? Also seeing part of the rear wheel in the camera is probably my wheel design. The mopar spa retire carrier doesn't push the camera out enough to clear the wheel from view.

20181005_101928.jpg

20181005_101932.jpg

20181005_101939.jpg

20181005_102726.jpg

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get a space taken out and did it help ? Also seeing part of the rear wheel in the camera is probably my wheel design. The mopar spa retire carrier doesn't push the camera out enough to clear the wheel from view.

20181005_101928.jpg

20181005_101932.jpg

20181005_101939.jpg

20181005_102726.jpg
Doing it tomorrow. Saturday am. I’ll post with results.

Sponsored

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Okay. I took the one spacer set I installed behind the tire mount out and the backup warning went away. All is good.

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sorry to dig up an old thread like this, but what bracket is that holding your brake light on? I want to mount a reverse light in the same spot.
Thanks.

danelizer

First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Business Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to dig up an old thread like this, but what bracket is that holding your brake light on? I want to mount a reverse light in the same spot.
Thanks.
That’s the Mopar brake light relocation kit. I added a few washers to the mount bolts and it works good.

AZRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have this issue after putting on a BFG 35" spare on the stock carrier with a RedRock 4x4 HD Tailgate Reinforcement Panel (18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL). Not at all sure why the placement matters. Had the valve stem at 11 o'clock and weights at 6, spun clockwise so stem was 1 o'clock and weights at 8 and it stopped. BUT ... this is not a camera thing, Park-Sense is driven by the sensors in the bumper not what you see in the camera.
Sponsored