Backup Light Switch - Factory Aux Switches

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2018 JLU, 2012 JKU
I installed the rigid backup lights in my plastic bumper and I really like them. However, they are wired directly to the backup light wiring and I'd like to be able to turn them on when I'm not in reverse for rear lighting.

Two things -
I want to use my factory auxiliary switch to do this.
I really don't want to run a wire all the way from the front to lights.

There has to be a way to tie into the backup lights from the front, I just don't know how/where to locate a wire or if it is even possible. Can someone help?

(2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel - factory aux switches)
Sponsored

OP
OP

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention - I do have the towing package with the fuse for trailer reverse lamps. Is this something I could use? I do want to use the backup lights when connecting a trailer though - can I feed power to this circuit and just not plug in the trailer until I turn the switch off???

MacombRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue
Occupation
Solution Architect
I don't know, sounds very complex, I would just run a wire. I ran 2. I added a SPDT switch (On Off On) below the headlight controls and ran a pair of wires up from the back of the jeep.
Wire 1 comes from the backup lights. Wire 2 is to feed power to the Oracle backup lights. Then up front, I took the "bonus always on" 12v wire from the aux switches and connected to to the 2nd On position.

That way my Oracle lights can be "on with backup lights", "Always on", or "Always off".

EXPFDR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Billet Silver JLU
Occupation
Army Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My friend got the Oracle reverse lights and ran a wire all the way up to the Aux switch connectors. Says that was pretty easy, he said he wanted control of turning them on, ESPECIALLY to warn off tailgaters. I may do that to mine someday.

OP
OP

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll probably just run a wire back with a couple of diodes - I'm just lazy and trying to find a better way.....:)
Thanks for the advice (and/or motivation to just go do it!)

Sponsored

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
Hey John, You might want to tell your "friend" that that method of "warning off tailgaters" is only going to piss them off. Just not worth it these days.

G.

Hpc3

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler(s)
I'll probably just run a wire back with a couple of diodes - I'm just lazy and trying to find a better way.....:)
Thanks for the advice (and/or motivation to just go do it!)
This is what I did, pair of diodes behind the tail lights and a (+) line to the engine bay to patch into AUX4 lead. Works well.

OP
OP

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I read through most of that, but didn't see any way to wire without running a wire from front to back - unless I missed it in the 45 pages...

OP
OP

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's what I was trying to avoid. It seems there would/should be a way to wire into the backup light circuit from the front without running a wire all the way to the back. I'll probably just run a wire/use diodes...

Sponsored

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
If the reverse lights are CANBUS controlled I'd say you'll struggle to connect to the reverse circuit at the front of the vehicle. Maybe ask in the CANBUS thread but if you're wanting to trigger them using the factory Aux switches I think you might be SOL on not running wires to the back.

OP
OP

geoexchange

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll just run a wire. It's not that big of a deal...

Thank you for the replies!
Sponsored